• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a GAMING HEADSET & SOUNDCARD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vald10

Registered
Hello, I'm new at this forum, I heard its quite good as it came recommended and I've been told that people here actually have a great knowledge in various fields. So lets start, I've been searching the web, for a couple of weeks now doing my research, I want to buy a gaming headset and a soundcard , now:

I previously owned : Siberia v1 (4 years ago, mic's ****, quality is also not so great, cable isnt very "durable"). that was absolutely it for me, it closed the subject for Steelseries (although a lot of gamers use Siberia v2, cable is **** again and the mic that comes in and out of the left side, looks pretty breakable to me.) so I wasnt even thinking about getting the v2.

Roccat Kulo 7.1 - Quality was ok once I installed drivers & put it in 7.1 mode, poorly built and very UNCOMFORTABLE, it was the moment I realized Im an "Over-ear" kind of guy.

I also tried some Sennheiser headsets, didn't like the bass much, and the quality, the biggest disadvantage is the 2.1.

and I was also told (have never actually tried it though) that Razer audio products are really bad when used out of the game.. for music purposes for example.. (Tiamat 7.1 was a clear example of that)

ok, so help me out here guys, I'm sitting on the PC for many continuous hours every day, both gaming & listening to music (high quality as well, .flac files mostly.) and I need a pretty comfortable, nicely built, durable headset, which can actually deliver (with a MATCHING SOUNDCARD ofcourse) pure and clear surround sound.

For a sound card I was thinking about Creative / Asus. (Asus preferred)
it really depends on the headset bcuz I dont need a 7.1 card if I get a 5.1 headset (I have a stereo system also but its 2.1 so I didn't really mention it) but if I get a 7.1 headset so I got one specific model that got my eye - Phoebus (in my price range) I've heard its pretty solid, with a real 7.1 output.but.. maybe its too much, tell me what you think.

and my headset top choices were :

Logitech G35 Gaming Headset - from what I understood, it tends to snap very easily, one of the earcups just cracks and the USB connector wouldnt probably be the best choice if I'm gonna get a decent soundcard , as analog connection will benefit greatly and with a simple usb I wont get the full-potential out of my CARD.

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Gaming Headset - great for gaming , **** for music like I said, (also a bit pricy for me bcuz 200$ for an headset is kinda high for me but I can manage if it turns out to be something extraordinary)

Roccat Kave 5.1 - I've heard only good about this piece actually, true 5.1 analogue, goes great if geared up alongside with a fitting soundcard)

Razer Kraken 7.1 - didn't quite get a lot of info about them, they seem alright.

Tritton Pro+ True 5.1 PC & Mac - MY TOP CHOICE, IT HAS EVERYTHING I NEED - but - I cant really find them bcuz everywhere I look its the XBOX/PS3 version with the Decoder box with optical input and xbox/ps3 controller inputs , without a PC adapter which I obviously need. cant really find the PC/MAC version anywhere, but its definitely the best one for me in my opinion.

if u have something else to propose I'd like to hear it, and would truly appreciate getting some help bcuz its a toughie .. thank you in advance. x)

I have only used "surround" gaming headsets twice in my life. To me, the difference was noticeable, but nothing to spend extra $$ on (just IMO). I love the set in my sig.

The CAL! has amazing midrange / treble clarity as well as clean, deep, tastefully emphasized bass. The upper mids are slightly forward, adding another level of detail to vocals. The bass isn't as textured / punchy as some sets out there, but it is excellent nonetheless. Many pros ditch far more popular / expensive sets, such as the $150 AT-M50, to make way for these $60 (on sale) cans.

Due to the CAL!'s treble clarity, extension, and slight overall brightness, directional ques in shooters stand out quite well.

There are only two notable downfalls of the CAL!: they are neither portable, nor have great isolation. However, if you are using these for desktop gaming, these cons probably don't matter too much.

All in all, the CAL! + Antlion Modmic combo creates a <$120 headset that can compete with just about any "gaming headset" out there. They are extremely comfortable as well (I have worn them for several hours without any discomfort / soreness).

PS: If stereo (two-channel) sound is recorded right, it blows anything with "surround sound" clear out of existence. Listen with stereo headphones: Holophonics demonstration.

Last edited:
I have a G930, and have been very impressed (wireless version of the G35).

Out of the list, I would get the Kave or G35. Probably the Kave.
I got my G930 because I wanted wireless, also.

Hello, I'm new at this forum, I heard its quite good as it came recommended and I've been told that people here actually have a great knowledge in various fields. So lets start, I've been searching the web, for a couple of weeks now doing my research, I want to buy a gaming headset and a soundcard , now:

I previously owned : Siberia v1 (4 years ago, mic's ****, quality is also not so great, cable isnt very "durable"). that was absolutely it for me, it closed the subject for Steelseries (although a lot of gamers use Siberia v2, cable is **** again and the mic that comes in and out of the left side, looks pretty breakable to me.) so I wasnt even thinking about getting the v2.

Roccat Kulo 7.1 - Quality was ok once I installed drivers & put it in 7.1 mode, poorly built and very UNCOMFORTABLE, it was the moment I realized Im an "Over-ear" kind of guy.

I also tried some Sennheiser headsets, didn't like the bass much, and the quality, the biggest disadvantage is the 2.1.

and I was also told (have never actually tried it though) that Razer audio products are really bad when used out of the game.. for music purposes for example.. (Tiamat 7.1 was a clear example of that)

ok, so help me out here guys, I'm sitting on the PC for many continuous hours every day, both gaming & listening to music (high quality as well, .flac files mostly.) and I need a pretty comfortable, nicely built, durable headset, which can actually deliver (with a MATCHING SOUNDCARD ofcourse) pure and clear surround sound.

For a sound card I was thinking about Creative / Asus. (Asus preferred)
it really depends on the headset bcuz I dont need a 7.1 card if I get a 5.1 headset (I have a stereo system also but its 2.1 so I didn't really mention it) but if I get a 7.1 headset so I got one specific model that got my eye - Phoebus (in my price range) I've heard its pretty solid, with a real 7.1 output.but.. maybe its too much, tell me what you think.

and my headset top choices were :

Logitech G35 Gaming Headset - from what I understood, it tends to snap very easily, one of the earcups just cracks and the USB connector wouldnt probably be the best choice if I'm gonna get a decent soundcard , as analog connection will benefit greatly and with a simple usb I wont get the full-potential out of my CARD.

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Gaming Headset - great for gaming , **** for music like I said, (also a bit pricy for me bcuz 200$ for an headset is kinda high for me but I can manage if it turns out to be something extraordinary)

Roccat Kave 5.1 - I've heard only good about this piece actually, true 5.1 analogue, goes great if geared up alongside with a fitting soundcard)

Razer Kraken 7.1 - didn't quite get a lot of info about them, they seem alright.

Tritton Pro+ True 5.1 PC & Mac - MY TOP CHOICE, IT HAS EVERYTHING I NEED - but - I cant really find them bcuz everywhere I look its the XBOX/PS3 version with the Decoder box with optical input and xbox/ps3 controller inputs , without a PC adapter which I obviously need. cant really find the PC/MAC version anywhere, but its definitely the best one for me in my opinion.

if u have something else to propose I'd like to hear it, and would truly appreciate getting some help bcuz its a toughie .. thank you in advance. x)

Few things,

- Tritton/Astro/Razer are all in the same group as far as things are concerned with quality audio.

- Headphones/Headsets are Stereo for a reason, there is no disadvantage to not being "5.1" or "7.1", as most headsets, such as the Logitech G930, are NOT 7.1, they simply simulate it with software, of which both Creative and ASUS offer.

- Sennheiser makes the current best headset on the market if I'm not missing anything (The PC350/PC360), but it of course comes at the price you pay for that quality.

- The ASUS Xonar Phoebus.... I personally LOVE it, and as someone who has used both Creatives offerings (The Creative ZxR and the X-Fi Titanium HD) along with owning an ASUS Essence STX, I have nothing but good things to say about the Phoebus. HOWEVER, and I must point this out, the Phoebus is a mixed bag, there are a LOT of people who dislike it, mainly due to the driver issues ASUS has had with it. I use the latest drivers and have NO issues, but it can vary... So YMMV

- For headset if you aren't looking to spend above $100 take a look at the Skullcandy SLYR, it is the lovechild of Astro and Skullcandy, but offers unheard of quality with those 2 names behind it at a mere $80.

- For headphones the Creative Aurvana Live! that Darknecron mentioned is a good one for the price, you can add an Antlion Modmic to it and be set. (Other options would include DT770, AD700)

Ok, Phoebus it is.

and honestly I've been told that Tiamat 7.1 / F.R.E.Q 7 With the NEODYMIUM speakers, can certainly provide a clear "True-To-Life" 7.1 .. and that those two are definitely the best option for 7.1 surround sound at the moment...

what do u think about these two? I can absolutely get either Tiamat 7.1 or F.R.E.Q 7 for 191$ which are not too pricy... and what about Kraken 7.1 ? its also NEODYMIUM..

and for sobe, I heard that Sennheiser arent TOO GOOD... either way I cant afford a headset that costs over 200$ .. its too much for me (PC350 G4ME is around 230$ and both the PC350 SE & PC360 is 272$ if I remember correctly.)

I can only get the PC 333D .. its the only option within my price range as far as Sennheiser goes..

ATMINSIDE, G35 has 1 USB connector.. I cant get much from a high-end soundcard if my device connects with neither analog nor optical.. so the chances of me getting g35 are quite poor. Now as for the Kave, I havent decided yet but I guess that if u compare the Kave (price,specs,attributes,build;etc) to ANY other headset stated above (like the Sennheiser headsets or Razer's or Tritton's)

EDIT : I just narrowed it down to Tiamat 7.1 or F.R.E.Q 7 or Tritton Pro+ True 5.1 PC & MAC (which as it turns out, is available for me to get)

is the PC 350 really worth the money ? (ofc im not talking about the SE bcuz its just too much.. it costs the same as 360 and 272$ its waaaay too much than I can actually afford.)
but I mean.. if the 350 really worth the extra 36$ I will re-consider obviously..

Last edited:
You are really caught up with that "NEODYMIUM" wording they use aren't you, lol.

The thing that worries me is you say you heard that Sennheiser isn't too good, but you say Razer Tiamat can provide a superb "true to life" experience. Sennheiser products demolish anything Razer could possibly have, hands down no contest. Sennheiser is also a company VERY well known in the high end audio world as far as headphones go, so whoever told you Sennheiser sucks, has got to be a Razer fanboy or some guy that wants to sell you on what HE uses because its what HE got.

I just can't recommend you Razer products, it's against me to do so, lol. They sound so bad... If you want to wait for someone else to chime in you can, I just don't want to lean you to a company that relies on misinformed consumers to buy their product.

The difference between the PC350 and 360 is that the 350 is closed whereas the 360 is "open" design. I PERSONALLY prefer open, as it provides a crisper and much larger sound stage. However, the 350 would provide you isolation from outside noises, people won't be able to hear what you are listening to if you have it cranked up a bit, and the 350's have more bass due to the closed design. The 350/360 are the best headsets on the market, having said that...

Have you taken a look at the Skullcandy SLYR? It's in a much nicer price range if you want a good all-rounder headset that would be a nice substitute for the Sennie PC350/360. Aaaaaand, it costs a much nice $80

I stop using my razer carcharias headset after receiving my sennheiser. Of course, the price tag difference is huge, so is the quality. I love them, I play call of duty and battlefield, you can hear everything. It's the first time I can use audio to detect enemies, specially in COD, you hear the running or walking.

If you get a set like the sennheiser or something else with similar quality, please make sure you test them with a powered output. A dedicated sound card or an amp will do the trick. I tested them on my laptop as soon as I got them, sound was ****ty as hell because of the low power output. After hooking the set to the powered output of my Sound Blaster, the audio, specially in games, is amazing!

EDIT: the difference between the 350 and 360 is that the 350 have a closed design and 360 have an open design. I haven't tested the 360 but what I read during my research is that the 360 audio stage is better, but more audio from the outside interferes. This means, the best ones will depend on your environment. For me, with two kids and a dog, the closed design is great, once immersed in game, house can blow up that I would not notice it.

You are really caught up with that "NEODYMIUM" wording they use aren't you, lol.

The thing that worries me is you say you heard that Sennheiser isn't too good, but you say Razer Tiamat can provide a superb "true to life" experience. Sennheiser products demolish anything Razer could possibly have, hands down no contest. Sennheiser is also a company VERY well known in the high end audio world as far as headphones go, so whoever told you Sennheiser sucks, has got to be a Razer fanboy or some guy that wants to sell you on what HE uses because its what HE got.

I just can't recommend you Razer products, it's against me to do so, lol. They sound so bad... If you want to wait for someone else to chime in you can, I just don't want to lean you to a company that relies on misinformed consumers to buy their product.

The difference between the PC350 and 360 is that the 350 is closed whereas the 360 is "open" design. I PERSONALLY prefer open, as it provides a crisper and much larger sound stage. However, the 350 would provide you isolation from outside noises, people won't be able to hear what you are listening to if you have it cranked up a bit, and the 350's have more bass due to the closed design. The 350/360 are the best headsets on the market, having said that...

Have you taken a look at the Skullcandy SLYR? It's in a much nicer price range if you want a good all-rounder headset that would be a nice substitute for the Sennie PC350/360. Aaaaaand, it costs a much nice $80

Obviously u didn't quite get what I was saying, I've been told that Sennheiser dont typically fit the "gaming" scene, and gamers prefer tritton/madcatz/razer/SS(which I hate);etc. there aren't many who'd choose the PC333D/350/360 for this particular aspect. I know Sennheiser equals HIGH-END and they're advertised almost everywhere because of their HD series for music. and that's why Im asking about the PC series.

now, I'm in the field of computing nearly 15 years now.. and I've gotta tell u, I never pick a product just by some commercial/advertise/The way that the specific company itself describes her product. I just heard a lot of good reviews about the Tiamat and hands down I've got a DeathAdder and one of their keyboards and I'm 100% satisfied with both overall.

and no I didn't get "caught up" I just know that its the highest possible quality on the market these days.

To tell you the truth.. I was thinking in a whole other direction. I didn't want to get Razer's audio from the beginning, I heard that people who get the Xonar Phoebus (and THAT is what Im caught up with) recommend the Tiamat to go along with , the combination of the two is somehow great.

The idea was to get Tritton Pro+ 5.1 (for PC&MAC) or MadCatz F.R.E.Q 7
But honestly , I respect your opinion too much and that's why I came here in the first place cuz I knew u can provide me with the necessary knowledge to make the best and most beneficial purchase for me.

Then again,I am sure as hell cant afford the 360. but like I said before I will definitely go flexible and get the 350 (IF THEY'RE WORTH IT)

and anhikilator, I stated that I will get a decent soundcard so dont worry about me getting the maximum out of it.

I read that the 360 has a more crisper and sharper bass , sound is clearer, and theyre more comfortable (which I guess is a personal preference so nvm)

I still suggest the CAL. . . Just so much value and multi-purpose performance.

Then again, I have never heard the Tiamat.

If you feel your budget needs to be tighter than stretching it, just go for the CAL! (with Modmic or a desktop mic if you prefer) or Skullcandy SLYR. While the 350 and 360 may be good, taking price into consideration the CAL! or SLYR will offer you damn good quality near that of the Sennies at half the cost or less.

If you feel your budget needs to be tighter than stretching it, just go for the CAL! (with Modmic or a desktop mic if you prefer) or Skullcandy SLYR. While the 350 and 360 may be good, taking price into consideration the CAL! or SLYR will offer you damn good quality near that of the Sennies at half the cost or less.

You mean the Creative Aruna Live?
isnt both Creative & Skullcandy is for music ?

and if not razer, what about Tritton / MadCatz? lots of people recommend and use it..

Again you are caught up with the whole "gaming headset" ideal, just wipe your mind of that, it will do nothing good for you.

Yes the CAL! refers to the Creative Aurvana Live!, and both the CAL! and SLYR perform exceptionally, both with music listening and games.

As far as your question goes, I put Tritton in the same boat as Razer, but the MadCatz... I'm not very familiar with so I honestly can't say. But, for their price @ $150 I would certainly hope they aren't a rip off.

I'll tell you this, at the end of the day it is your money. So, if you feel more comfortable with purchasing a product you have your eyes set on then by all means do so. We don't want to tell you how to spend your money if you aren't comfortable with our suggestions. Especially so when it concerns something that is out of your budget, we want to give you the best bang for your buck if possible.

Again you are caught up with the whole "gaming headset" ideal, just wipe your mind of that, it will do nothing good for you.

Yes the CAL! refers to the Creative Aurvana Live!, and both the CAL! and SLYR perform exceptionally, both with music listening and games.

As far as your question goes, I put Tritton in the same boat as Razer, but the MadCatz... I'm not very familiar with so I honestly can't say. But, for their price @ $150 I would certainly hope they aren't a rip off.

I'll tell you this, at the end of the day it is your money. So, if you feel more comfortable with purchasing a product you have your eyes set on then by all means do so. We don't want to tell you how to spend your money if you aren't comfortable with our suggestions. Especially so when it concerns something that is out of your budget, we want to give you the best bang for your buck if possible.

Well, you've already done plenty, obviously more than you should have and its absolutely redundant to say that Im so grateful.

I'll check the CAL. about the SLYR, I dont have an access to that brand anywhere near my location so.. tough luck I guess.

and yeah, from what I heard and saw (maybe like a couple of dozens reviews and unboxing videos and all of that) and many many information, The F.R.E.Q 7 is truly amazing, I will definitely try and do a further research on the CAL,

btw one last thing, what about PC 330 / 333D ? (according to what I've read, the only difference is the usb-soundcard that comes with the 333D and if u have (and I will) an internal decent audio, u do not need it, so u can save the 50$ and go for the PC330 .. but How is it? quality-wise..

You can try their e-shop, http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/gaming/slyr

Not the most versed with that particular set(PC330), but from what I know the sound quality is there, they just seem to get a lot of complaints about being uncomfortable with the tightness of the head clamping killing your ears, added they also sit on your ears rather than around your ears.

You can try their e-shop, http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/gaming/slyr

Not the most versed with that particular set(PC330), but from what I know the sound quality is there, they just seem to get a lot of complaints about being uncomfortable with the tightness of the head clamping killing your ears, added they also sit on your ears rather than around your ears.

you know its funny, I heard the same about all of the Sennheiser PC Series, that they're tight around the ears, like you feel this.. pressure on them, like you said exactly "they sit on your ears rather than around." also they're pretty heavy in general.. I mean with the Siberia v1 (which is only 250g) I felt somehow "on-edge" and here we're talking about 300g at the least..

you know its funny, I heard the same about all of the Sennheiser PC Series, that they're tight around the ears, like you feel this.. pressure on them, like you said exactly "they sit on your ears rather than around." also they're pretty heavy in general.. I mean with the Siberia v1 (which is only 250g) I felt somehow "on-edge" and here we're talking about 300g at the least..

The PC350/360 padding sits around your ear like your normal headphones, rather than on the ear. I personally don't have issues with comfort over long periods of time, but every person will be different in that regard on what is too tight for them *giggity*

The PC350/360 padding sits around your ear like your normal headphones, rather than on the ear. I personally don't have issues with comfort over long periods of time, but every person will be different in that regard on what is too tight for them *giggity*

which one do u currently own?

I personally still have from Sennheiser the HD598 and HD650. I got rid of my PC350 a long while back to get the 360, and while the headset itself was nice, I tend to use my headphones not just at the computer, but living room through an extension to the receiver or when laying down through a mobile fiio amp + mp3 player, so the mic started to bug me and I just got rid of it altogether and stuck to my 650's for Sennie glory.

Last edited:
I personally still have from Sennheiser the HD598 and HD650. I got rid of my PC350 a long while back to get the 360, and while the headset itself was nice, I tend to use my headphones not just at the computer, but living room through an extension to the receiver or when laying down through a mobile fiio amp + mp3 player, so the mic started to bug me and I just got rid of it altogether and stuck to my 650's for Sennie glory.

Oh god.. how could u afford all of that..
let alone the 650 itself

Well that's not counting my AD900's, Beyer DT990 Premiums, and a few other sets I still have laying around :p It's not like I just bought them all at once though, I've collected through the years. *Tend to grab 1 each year or every other year depending on mood, lol, or it could be a couple purchased within a year for 100hour burn-in and testing my personal listening experience*

As far as affording it, meh, I make above minimum wage and just budget myself beyond that. And since I recently started school back again I have to cut back a bit on my excess spending as I'll only be getting $400 - $500/week compared to what I normally make since I'm only working on weekends.

Back