• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a GAMING HEADSET & SOUNDCARD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You will not need to enable 3D Vision unless you have a 3D Emitter and 3D Glasses. To go to 120Hz or 144Hz, right click desktop -> Properties, then click Advanced Settings, click on the Monitor tab, and just change the Screen refresh rate accordingly.

As far as Lightboost, someone made a utility that made Lightboost a breeze to turn on and off. You can find it HERE under the titled "Easy LightBoost via ToastyX Strobelight App" towards the top of the page. With it you can set certain refresh rates from the dropdown menus, I myself use 144 and 120(Strobed).

Your 560Ti will work no harder than using any other 1080p monitor, it's just that now when you play games on the panel, your monitor will be able to "show" above 60 FPS.

As far as IPS vs TN, I own both, so I will say it's circumstantial. I would not be running a 27" IPS or PLS panel on a 560Ti, that I can tell you.

I dont need any 3D stuff, this monitor is strictly for gaming (especially FPS) and surfing the web , other casual daily things ; etc. & Yeah thanks I know how to change refresh rates I'm not that dumb (been working with computers since Intel 80386, just needed a quick update about today's gear :p )

would never go higher than 24" really, I've got a 47" LG 3D LED TV 120HZ that I use to watch movies/series and other stuff.

I was trully afraid that the 560Ti wont be enough :S

and ye I read online about the LB, I'll set it to 120+Strobed permanently (if possible) and that is it (love the CRT-like feeling)

ok,good to know all that since I've already completed the order. Again thanks a lot buddy, helpful as always.

EDIT : which cables do I need in order to properly connect it? because my gfx card doesnt have displayport only dvi & hdmi , and I saw on some threads that the monitor requires DVI-Dual Link ? which means I need a DVI TO DVI-DL cable ? or what?

Use the included DVI and you will be fine.

Oh, and since you mentioned CS, as someone who's played CEVO Main and CEVO Pro for CS Source during CGS, open-aire headphones have led me to have an advantage over my opponents by utilizing the larger soundstage to pinpoint footsteps, reloads, and other subtle sounds ;)

Last edited:
Use the included DVI and you will be fine.

Oh, and since you mentioned CS, as someone who's played CEVO Main and CEVO Pro for CS Source during CGS, open-aire headphones have led me to have an advantage over my opponents by utilizing the larger soundstage to pinpoint footsteps, reloads, and other subtle sounds ;)

that's great to hear, And kinda make sense since it gives more "wideness" to the sound, making u able to hear for a longer distance perhaps..

Any ICC profiles post Standard-Calibration needed for enhacing the colors ?

and btw, on my old samsung 22" monitor I once tried Digital Vibrance 100 @ Nvidia Driver (sgive a more reddish tone , highlights the colors and brights up the screen a bit) but since my brightness & colors were decent + - ,it kinda ruined the frame quality so I put it back to 50 Default.

maybe since we're using LB and we know for fact that TN panels are darker in general , will it be a good idea ? what do u think?

(Lots of CS1.6/GO players who play on 120Hz use vibrance 100 and definetely recommend it)

Last edited:
Yes the VG248QE panel is a lightboost panel. Just use ToastyX utility to switch to 120Hz strobed(lightboost) when playing fps games, or leave it on if you want for all your games! I just found it most prominent in FPS titles.

With ToastyX though you can use a keyboard shortcut to change between 144Hz and 120Hz + Lightboost on the fly.

As for the pc360, just be sure you prefer the open-aire design to the closed. Outside of that glad to hear it's coming together.

Almost forgot to mention, for your VG248QE, be sure to check out these settings on the monitor OSD:

Splendid= Theater Mode
Sharpness= 40 (eliminates some minor fringing on text – also use ClearType)

Brightness= 54 (according to preferences and lighting)

Contrast= 43 (default contrast in this preset gives major shade crushing)

Color Temp= User Mode

Red= 100

Green= 95

Blue= 93

Should help liven up the screen from the out of box look

& here, the settings u've given concerning the OSD, dont match other settings that forums like Tom's Hardware recommend

yes they state that Theatre mode is great ,due to all adjusments being allowed, but Standard mode is better in terms of contrast / brightness without hurting the image quality (contrast 80,brightness 35) , Trace Free 100 (is best according everyone ,also their RGB's a little different .

Source :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vg248qe-144hz-gaming-monitor,3609-3.html

blurbusters state that to get proper performence with LB (I assume they're talking about latest games with maxed-out settings), I need a GTX 680/770/780/TITAN. But are they referring to 3D mode? cuz by logic 2D Strobe is supposed to be easier for the graphic card to "carry" , and as I wont be using ANY 3D whatsoever, am I really gonna be cut down by much frames in games? (again, NOT THIS MODERN BF3 MAXEDOUT ****) Im talking competitive FPS, (even like.. Running CoD4 in 250FPS (quake3engine requires conssistent 125/250) and on a regular FUJICOM 60hz 1080p for ex. I get 250 without blinking.. (On native 1920x1080 and extra textures in-game) Im talking like 10% since I want to use LB to the fullest, and dont care much about the lack of brightness

Last edited:
The settings I gave you are from pcmonitors.info which is a quality site that details monitors. The guy over there, monitors is specifically what he does. My advice would be to test settings and find what works best for you. Just set the monitor to 144Hz, set color, then roll with whatever.

As far as LB is concerned, I have not noticed a hit in performance on the cards Ive used with it.

The settings I gave you are from pcmonitors.info which is a quality site that details monitors. The guy over there, monitors is specifically what he does. My advice would be to test settings and find what works best for you. Just set the monitor to 144Hz, set color, then roll with whatever.

As far as LB is concerned, I have not noticed a hit in performance on the cards Ive used with it.

got it. Trust u.

Did u use it with anything below 560 ?

Sadly no, I've only tested on 660Ti, 670, 680, and 780. The idea behind a stronger GPU is mainly that you maintain the higher framerate that your new monitor can finally "show". Just for instance, let's say these monitors came out around the time of Crysis's release, people were lucky to get around 30 FPS on Ultra settings with the best cards out! You can use a 120 or 144Hz monitor, but it won't make a difference with that game due to the GPU limitations.

If you've been reaching 200+ FPS in your favorite games with a 1920x1080 60Hz panel, you're going to see around those same numbers, but with a much smoother looking gameplay. Just be sure to turn off Motion Blur and **** like that for your games, as you will no longer need that due to Lightboost ;D

Sadly no, I've only tested on 660Ti, 670, 680, and 780. The idea behind a stronger GPU is mainly that you maintain the higher framerate that your new monitor can finally "show". Just for instance, let's say these monitors came out around the time of Crysis's release, people were lucky to get around 30 FPS on Ultra settings with the best cards out! You can use a 120 or 144Hz monitor, but it won't make a difference with that game due to the GPU limitations.

If you've been reaching 200+ FPS in your favorite games with a 1920x1080 60Hz panel, you're going to see around those same numbers, but with a much smoother looking gameplay. Just be sure to turn off Motion Blur and **** like that for your games, as you will no longer need that due to Lightboost ;D

first paragraph, yeah I know that, and even today I manage getting 60+ with native reso @ latest games, like bf3 for example since everyone keeps talking about this specific game with 120Hz, since its engine is kinda heavy even nowadays, getting 120 , or even over 100 is tricky (well not talkign about Titan because I honestly think its a pure waste of money getting these 1000$+ gpus.. how will 120+lb work with 60? just for casual gaming which is not very critical for me, am I going to have to lower the resolution? like in GTAV which Im gonna get soon by my estimations.. what do u think ? 60fps & 120hz

second, I'm glad to hear it, like I already said with the Fuji 60hz 1920 I get decent frame rate in competitive FPS games (for my satisfaction) @ 1920x1080 In-game.

I would not move the res, moving from native can look nasty. Since you do plan on getting GTA5, I would invest in a GPU upgrade to get all the graphical goodness. You could sell your current card and go for say a GTX 760 or 7870 to offset costs(If it's viable obviously a 770 or 7970/280x price permitting). And with the price drops the 7 series had, you can't go wrong!

Now, getting 60fps @ 120Hz will "virtually" be the same experience (But overall game smoothness regardless should be smoother assuming you don't have video lag) , but when you activate Lightboost, the strobing works regardless the FPS is sitting at 60 or 120.

I would not move the res, moving from native can look nasty. Since you do plan on getting GTA5, I would invest in a GPU upgrade to get all the graphical goodness. You could sell your current card and go for say a GTX 760 or 7870 to offset costs(If it's viable obviously a 770 or 7970/280x price permitting). And with the price drops the 7 series had, you can't go wrong!

Now, getting 60fps @ 120Hz will "virtually" be the same experience (But overall game smoothness regardless should be smoother assuming you don't have video lag) , but when you activate Lightboost, the strobing works regardless the FPS is sitting at 60 or 120.

well, I got the asus P8Z77-V LX and i5 3470 and KINGSTON 8GB 1600MHZ which I bought August 2012, I dont think that a gpu upgrade ONLY, will be enough, and if anything I dont really like upgrading one part , I just get a new rig like every 2 years... but I will definetely check it, and I prefer Nvidia to be honest..

the 780 is still pretty expensive, 760 is crap I think, best option for me is 770 as for today, tho I remember that a year ago GTX 680 WAS PHENOMENAL A YEAR AGO but it cost like 800$ or more back then, & also the 770 is significantly better I guess.

BUT GOD ZOTAC'S GTX780 LOOKS SICK, I WANT IT.

btw so according to pcmonitors.info what Trace Free value should I use? as far as the image goes, it looks best at 80. other values make the image look "smeared"

Last edited:
is there a way to set only 2 refresh rates (like 144hz for desktop and 120hz strobed for in-game) or just 1? to work by default without using this ToastyX software? I dont mind using LB via desktop with 120

You will need to use the tool as it is essentially a little hack to force lightboost to work without a 3D Emitter/glasses. That tool just makes it super easy, and if you want 144 + 120 strobed you can do both or if you want only 120 strobed you can set to only have that. Completely your choice.

You will need to use the tool as it is essentially a little hack to force lightboost to work without a 3D Emitter/glasses. That tool just makes it super easy, and if you want 144 + 120 strobed you can do both or if you want only 120 strobed you can set to only have that. Completely your choice.

I just hate it when little programms run in the background :S

are the hotkeys reassignable?

Yes they are, and if you want you dont even have to use hotkeys. Just open your system tray, rightclick on the little lightbulb icon and just choose whatever refresh rate you added to the program to use.

Yes they are, and if you want you dont even have to use hotkeys. Just open your system tray, rightclick on the little lightbulb icon and just choose whatever refresh rate you added to the program to use.

ok, and if for example I set it to 120 Strobed and then exit the programm, and its not in my startup list (when I boot the OS) and I dont touch it after booting does it like save the settings from last session? or does it reset ? (Like for example Synapse 2.0 which I must start everytime I boot the pc)

hope u got what I meant.. its kinda messy..

When you set it up with instructions on ToastyX provided @ BlurBusters, they will say to place the program in your startup folder. You just place it there and it will start up when Windows starts automatically for you.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Strobelight-LightBoost-Utility-for-AMD-ATI-and-NVIDIA

That is the thread for ToastyX. You can also rename it strobelight-hide.exe to hide the tray icon, so you can just use keyboard shortcuts only.

got everything, got back home, set up everything monitor is great after enabling LB, its like I cant even watch myself move around the map @ 60hz :x
its disgusting compared to 120\144.

but the biggest of all, the sound.. WOW. I am completely speechless. even without a proper burn in (which I certainly do believe makes a difference when it comes to high-end equipment) the 360's sound amazing, even at max vol, they are as clear as always. the combo of the phoebus with it is just unbeatable. (not using the GX effect right now.. dunno if I even need the 3D sound ****) but oh god I cant take them off..

got everything, got back home, set up everything monitor is great after enabling LB, its like I cant even watch myself move around the map @ 60hz :x
its disgusting compared to 120\144.

but the biggest of all, the sound.. WOW. I am completely speechless. even without a proper burn in (which I certainly do believe makes a difference when it comes to high-end equipment) the 360's sound amazing, even at max vol, they are as clear as always. the combo of the phoebus with it is just unbeatable. (not using the GX effect right now.. dunno if I even need the 3D sound ****) but oh god I cant take them off..

:) I'm certainly glad you are enjoying the setup. The step up from 60Hz to 120Hz and higher is astonishing when gaming. And then the headphones, burn-in is subjective honestly, but yes, compared to cheaper sets, the set you have is leaps and bounds above many many others. Audiophile gear = win! As for the GX effects I just leave that off myself.

:) I'm certainly glad you are enjoying the setup. The step up from 60Hz to 120Hz and higher is astonishing when gaming. And then the headphones, burn-in is subjective honestly, but yes, compared to cheaper sets, the set you have is leaps and bounds above many many others. Audiophile gear = win! As for the GX effects I just leave that off myself.

I am so relieved I decided to go open-aire , pumping some DnB @ high vol because its all about the BASS, god bless Sennheiser x)

btw is dobly home theater a separate program or is it somehow related to sound drivers? I want to uninstall it bcuz I dont need it

Last edited:
Back