• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a GAMING HEADSET & SOUNDCARD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Or can hook up the case outputs for speakers and keep headset connected directly to the back of the card.

you mean connect the speakers to the Realtek built-in ? but I disable it before even inserting the xonar.. (?)

Your case should have a connector to the front 2 audio jacks on the case. Connect that right behind where you plug in the power for the Phoebus.

ok. I need the dimensions of the 20T screen PACKED[!!!]
unpacked is 57cm but I need to know how much when its packed cuz I fly this ****

my uncle here pointed out very firmly that he wont let me get BenQ as he says that Asus VG248QE is a 10times better choice and paying the difference (which is currently 37$) is totally worth it.

to sum up, looks like I'm gonna order
- Asus Xonar Phoebus_Solo for 117$
- Sennheiser PC 350 (for 150$ apparently)
- Asus VG248QE for 425$

so everything's aces, thanks for everything . :)

Looks good to me, just be sure if there is a fault with a product or so, you will be able to return it

Looks good to me, just be sure if there is a fault with a product or so, you will be able to return it

looking forward to hook this up already..

need to disable realtek on-board sound right? uninstall the drivers, connect the six-pin PCI-E power & then I connect it, and download latest drivers from Asus servers, and that is it right ?

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/#support

Yes uninstall the Realtek drivers, then restart, open your BIOS and disable onboard Audio. From there save BIOS settings and shut down the machine, plug in the sound card, hook up the power, and install the Phoebus drivers needed. I posted a link above to the Support/Driver page.

If using Windows 7 you should be looking at the "Version 7.0.1.29" drivers.

You don't actually need to disable onboard audio. Leave it on and you can use it for a second zone.

btw when u said u recommend setting the screen to 120Hz+Lightboost, did it include the Asus? or just the BENQs ? or do I set the VG248QE to 144Hz default?

and looks like I'll be getting PC 360 as it turns out :)

Yes the VG248QE panel is a lightboost panel. Just use ToastyX utility to switch to 120Hz strobed(lightboost) when playing fps games, or leave it on if you want for all your games! I just found it most prominent in FPS titles.

With ToastyX though you can use a keyboard shortcut to change between 144Hz and 120Hz + Lightboost on the fly.

As for the pc360, just be sure you prefer the open-aire design to the closed. Outside of that glad to hear it's coming together.

Almost forgot to mention, for your VG248QE, be sure to check out these settings on the monitor OSD:

Splendid= Theater Mode
Sharpness= 40 (eliminates some minor fringing on text – also use ClearType)

Brightness= 54 (according to preferences and lighting)

Contrast= 43 (default contrast in this preset gives major shade crushing)

Color Temp= User Mode

Red= 100

Green= 95

Blue= 93

Should help liven up the screen from the out of box look

Last edited:
I've been using a logitech g930 for 2 years now. I will never go back to any other headset unless something better comes out for the same price. It also took a major price hit down to $80 so it's a great headset for relatively cheap. I tried a astro gaming a40 and couldn't even get it to work (still have no idea why) so I sent it back for a refund. $300 was a little much for me to spend on a headset anyway even if it had considerably better sound performance than the g930 (so I read).

I've been using a logitech g930 for 2 years now. I will never go back to any other headset unless something better comes out for the same price. It also took a major price hit down to $80 so it's a great headset for relatively cheap. I tried a astro gaming a40 and couldn't even get it to work (still have no idea why) so I sent it back for a refund. $300 was a little much for me to spend on a headset anyway even if it had considerably better sound performance than the g930 (so I read).

This is off the OP-topic, but if you want better than your G930 just for the future when you start looking, with the G930 sitting at a $100 price tag, you can look at the already mentioned Creative Aurvana Live! set that sell for $80 ($75 on Amazon) and they will offer better sound than both the G930 and those overpriced piece of crap Astros. If you have a $300 price range for headphones, start looking at Beyerdynamic DT990 Premiums, AKG Q701, and similar.

Getting into higher ranges though you may want to start also looking into headphone amps for your desktop(Can go for a Fiio E09k or something like the Schiit Asgard) , or mobile amps if it so suits you.

Oh I didn't read the entire thread, well my g930 is out of warranty now so when it busts I'll consider some of your suggestions. I didn't even get to try the a40 so I cannot comment on whether it was a good headset or not. But yeah, like you said it sounded extremely overpriced after I bought it. $300 was a little out of my price range for a headset. Especially when you mostly only use it for talking to people on skype/ventrilo and when you don't want to wake people up and use your speakers mostly for gaming and watching blurays during legal hours.

The thing that makes the g930 suck in a way though @ OP is it hasn't had a software update in 2 years, and you'd think Logitech would either update the software (It crackles for some people,there's interference with wireless cards with the outdated software ..etc), or come out with a new headset. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Yes the VG248QE panel is a lightboost panel. Just use ToastyX utility to switch to 120Hz strobed(lightboost) when playing fps games, or leave it on if you want for all your games! I just found it most prominent in FPS titles.

With ToastyX though you can use a keyboard shortcut to change between 144Hz and 120Hz + Lightboost on the fly.

As for the pc360, just be sure you prefer the open-aire design to the closed. Outside of that glad to hear it's coming together.

Almost forgot to mention, for your VG248QE, be sure to check out these settings on the monitor OSD:

Splendid= Theater Mode
Sharpness= 40 (eliminates some minor fringing on text – also use ClearType)

Brightness= 54 (according to preferences and lighting)

Contrast= 43 (default contrast in this preset gives major shade crushing)

Color Temp= User Mode

Red= 100

Green= 95

Blue= 93

Should help liven up the screen from the out of box look

cant I just leave it on 120+LB for good? I dont care about the 144 much.. I dont like all the shortcut thingies

and as for the Sennis, I hear that the 360 are better for music since they have more bass & treble, and overall better quality. better earcups & overall build.. they're more durable aswell.. so its a must have for me. (the 350's earcups start peeling after a while too, and I dont want that.) + I prefer the 360 bcuz of the air flow which cools off the ears and the head entirely.. so :)

Last edited:
You actually can just leave it set to 120 + LB, you can also adjust the Lightboost % on the monitor OSD (10% is best for smoothness), just keep in mind Lightboost % dims the monitor the lower in % you go.

For the sennies, I myself personally prefer the open-aire, however, the bass is weaker compared to the closed cans. Keep in mind, that is true with headphones in general anyway. But, overall the 360s have a larger sound stage, crisper mids and highs, and an overall better sound assuming you can handle the lack of isolation.

You actually can just leave it set to 120 + LB, you can also adjust the Lightboost % on the monitor OSD (10% is best for smoothness), just keep in mind Lightboost % dims the monitor the lower in % you go.

For the sennies, I myself personally prefer the open-aire, however, the bass is weaker compared to the closed cans. Keep in mind, that is true with headphones in general anyway. But, overall the 360s have a larger sound stage, crisper mids and highs, and an overall better sound assuming you can handle the lack of isolation.

lets say I'm used to the Roccat Kulo and if talking over-ear so Siberia v1, how isolated the siberia is compared to the 360's? much difference?

also, as Ive said before I dont really like the "underwater" feeling u get while wearing headphones, like the 350's .

AND WAIT WAIT, how is the bass weaker in the 360 if everyone says the opposite cuz of the open-aire construct. because it has MORE SOUND STAGE like u and others stated. so therefore by logic, it gives more bass, aswell as more crisp and clarity to the sound ..?

And what do u mean by dims the monitor? like makes it a lot less brighter?

Last edited:
1) The 360's will be similar in reference to siberias as far as isolation goes.

2) In short, this is the way it is between open and closed cans, closed you get more bass with a smaller sound stage, but open you get more sound stage with less bass (but the bass is more refined). I'm not saying there is no bass, by any means, just don't expect it to be thundering.

Lightboost dims the monitor, as it was meant for 3D with use with 3D Glasses. You'll see when you get the panel what YOU like, you can even find a middle-ground between lightboost @ 40% or 50% if you want as well. But, 10% makes full use of LB.

1) The 360's will be similar in reference to siberias as far as isolation goes.

2) In short, this is the way it is between open and closed cans, closed you get more bass with a smaller sound stage, but open you get more sound stage with less bass (but the bass is more refined). I'm not saying there is no bass, by any means, just don't expect it to be thundering.

Lightboost dims the monitor, as it was meant for 3D with use with 3D Glasses. You'll see when you get the panel what YOU like, you can even find a middle-ground between lightboost @ 40% or 50% if you want as well. But, 10% makes full use of LB.

ok good to know, I liked how the Siberia felt.

well, that's why I chose TN over IPS overall , u know, to get the refresh, the smoothness and the speed , not the brightness / viewing angels and all that ****.

my uncle asked me why do I need these 3D effects in a monitor with a TN panel, and that IPS is way better, but I explained to him pretty much the same thing, IPS panels do not have the specific amount of refresh that FPS games require and that I would generally like for myself. + he asked about Glasses that are not included in the package, I assumed I dont even need them right?
because players dont actually use the function, they get the monitor just for the high refresh right?

I just hope the colors of the TN are fine, I mean lack of brightness I can handle, but if the colors are a total screw-up it can be a bit of an issue.
but I guess Asus know what they're doing.

(I mean, a literal screw up as I've already made the order.)

BTW, One very important q, do I need to enable the Nvidia 3D VISION? its just that I disabled it long ago in the driver settings bcuz I have a 60hz monitor without any 3D functions (obviously) what-so-ever .. so do I enable it back? I mean in order to use the 120 and above? or is it like automatically set after I set the refresh to 120 ?

EDIT : I heard a lot of ppl talking about a certain HACK, concerning the LightBoost ? what is it exactly?

and another fps-related q, I know that these screens cause the v-card to work harder, I've got the GTX 560Ti 2GB D.CUII FACTORY OVERCLOCKED 900MHz , will it perform well with the new screen? overheat much? I saw a lot of people with insane cards like 2x680s in SLI and thought to myself that I'm screwed :p (also if it matters I've got 8GB ram & i5 3470)

Last edited:
or maybe its not an issue with FPS games since they are in 2D? (considered) like CS & COD titles ? because thats why I am leaning towards these monitors.

Back