• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice and thoughts on a New Mobo please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cordite

Hi i bought my current PC for gaming about a year ago, i wasnt really sure what i was doing but i was looking to save some cash and it came together as follows:

Intel Q6600 GO (@2.4ghz) (AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro )
Asus P5N-E SLI
4gb(4x1gb) Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 800mhz (4-4-4-12)
BFG 8800GTS OC 512mb DDR3 (was running 2 xfx 7900gt's originally from an old rig)
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATAII/300 16MB Cache (this is new it replaced an 80gb Seagate Barracuda)
Thermaltake Purepower 680 watt PSU
All in a Coolermaster CM690 Dominator and running Vista 64 bit

So until recently id been happily playing away on my 19 inch CRT at 1280x1024 on 99% games and was happy enough with the performance, then i treated myself to a new 24 inch LCD and bumped it all up to 1920x1280 and well u can imagine what happened to the performance i was happy with. I started looking into upgrading as I've never OC'd (i had intended to with this rig but chickened out) and well from what i can tell unless im poorly read LGA775 will start taking more of a back seat over the next year and i decided it was better to try tweak as much as i can out of this rig. Funds have helped further this choice as I'm not exactly rolling in it :)

My plans are now to get a new mobo to better take advantage of my CPU and to better facilitate an all around OC of the system (i realize im probably gonna have to replace the CPU heat sink and fan to deal with an OC (current one came bundled for free with the CPU)) and later in the year consider a new GFX card or 2 :>

So in short i guess my question is what mobo would u recommend for the job? (looking to spend around 200 GBP (280?? USD) or perhaps u don't think this is the best way for me to be heading and can suggest something else. Any constructive reply's are welcome :D

Thanks

Last edited:
Back