• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for NEW AMD Bulid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my opinion after helping many coming into the forum wanting to overclock an FX processor that board is not nearly heavily built enough to handle the rigors of an overclocked FX processor. Most especially not an 8 core. You might skate with a 4 core but the PWM circuits would still need some heatsinks. Just not a good FX board to me.

In my opinion after helping many coming into the forum wanting to overclock an FX processor that board is not nearly heavily built enough to handle the rigors of an overclocked FX processor. Most especially not an 8 core. You might skate with a 4 core but the PWM circuits would still need some heatsinks. Just not a good FX board to me.

Whats a Good Cheap Board i dont look into overclocking until a few years i can buy a new mobo by then what mobo do you think is good and pretty cheap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

The CPU you list, Foopz, in you first post is not in the Gigabyte CPU support list for the motherboard you list. Not for any of the board's several revisions.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833# Don't trust vendors to necessarily match things correctly.

If you must buy that Gigabyte motherboard, stick to a 95 watt CPU or you will regret it and don't plan on overclocking it unless it has less than four cores.

Last edited:
The CoolerMaster HAF912 is the best buy available for cases. Great case! Great ventilation, very roomy, sturdy.

Still Looking for a good Mobo thats pretty cheap that i can buy the 8 core and mobo under 250 please!

-Thanks

Why do you want an 8 core FX CPU? Their performance is disappointing and only slightly better than this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103924 But you would also need a CPU cooler.

So you Think i should Downgrade to a 4 core i want something for gaming like Battlefield 3 Black Ops MW3 i have a i3 right now i am looking to get a 6-core and above and from all the reviews i looked at that 8-core look pretty good Whats wrong with the 8-core? -Thanks

Of those games, I think COD games only use two cores and BF3 uses four. Bulldozer is also a very strange architecture, in some tasks it will perform like an octocore but in others it only performs like a quad.

Either way, if you want a gaming CPU, you want a 2500K or a 3570K.

Of those games, I think COD games only use two cores and BF3 uses four. Bulldozer is also a very strange architecture, in some tasks it will perform like an octocore but in others it only performs like a quad.

Either way, if you want a gaming CPU, you want a 2500K or a 3570K.

Thats a intel build right?

I was looking at this for intel
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505

Processor: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I52500K-Core-i5-2500K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXHQ

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645

Cheaper Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138332

But that would Cost alot more

He doesn't have the bucks for a 2500k. Did you read the first part of the thread? That's why folks in the AMD section are on the AMD section.

He doesn't have the bucks for a 2500k. Did you read the first part of the thread? That's why folks in the AMD section are on the AMD section.

Haha you dont have to be so mean but yea i dont have money for the 2500k wanna go cheap and try to get the best for my cheapness

Wonder if that 4 core will do it doesnt AMD make some pretty good 6 core processor's?

Didn't know they cut down prices that far on the 8120.

Either way, for gaming, I'd grab a 960T at that range. Better IMC than the other Phenom X4s, and a chance at unlocking two extra cores.

Yea but the 960T is hard to find i looked on Newegg and Amazon there is only 3 used on Amazon

Egg has some good prices on the 970BE that is pretty fast. However if you want to be a little more 'so-called' in the fast lane, then a few things are noted below.

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AM3+,UEFI BIOS,Auto OC Tuning,USB 3.0 Boost,CFX

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

$10 off w/ promo code EMCNDHJ24, ends 6/27

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Was: $34.99
Now: $29.99
Save: $5.00
$19.99 after mail-in rebate card

You WILL NEED a case that is 8 inches from side to side measured across the back or inside for the cooler above to be a 'sure' fit.

That is a pretty darn good mobo and the FX-4170 seems far more able to run 4.5Ghz than the FX-4100 which is cheaper of course.

Need 4 or 8 gigs of DDR3 ram, that should run about $55.00 if you do not already have some good DDR3 ram.

Egg has some good prices on the 970BE that is pretty fast. However if you want to be a little more 'so-called' in the fast lane, then a few things are noted below.

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AM3+,UEFI BIOS,Auto OC Tuning,USB 3.0 Boost,CFX

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

$10 off w/ promo code EMCNDHJ24, ends 6/27

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Was: $34.99
Now: $29.99
Save: $5.00
$19.99 after mail-in rebate card

You WILL NEED a case that is 8 inches from side to side measured across the back or inside for the cooler above to be a 'sure' fit.

That is a pretty darn good mobo and the FX-4170 seems far more able to run 4.5Ghz than the FX-4100 which is cheaper of course.

Need 4 or 8 gigs of DDR3 ram, that should run about $55.00 if you do not already have some good DDR3 ram.

Thanks Dude i have 6 gigs of DDR3 should be good there could i get some links to some of the stuff you said and whats the finaly price on that if you know my max is 250?

P.S Didn't realize they were links

Lol, not always. There are still some sad AMD fans out there, like me :p

An i5 3450 + H77 board could be an option.. Depends if he's going to OC. If he's planning to OC; go with the AMD line; (Phenom II; not FX...); if no plans to OC; the cheapest Ivy quad proc on a cheap board should do perfectly fine... IMO

Foopsz, I suggest you save some more money and wait until you can get both a good CPU and a good motherboard. If you get a poor motherboard you will regret it. It would be like building a sky scraper onto a chicken coup foundation. You will have just thrown your money away and will have to start over again with the motherboard.

Back