• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for NEW AMD Bulid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does it? I have not seen this in a while. (Im not an AMD basher, both my rigs are AMD)

*cry I said both and not 4 or 5 boo hoo..

Anywho, yeah im all on AMD for price/performance. that octo core at under $170 is a sweet deal UNLESS what you said is true. Have any facts to verify it? (I am not trying to be a buzkill asking cuz I want to know!!!)

PS: I got my thuban for super cheap right before Bulldozer launched. That is in my main rig :)

At OP. Depending on verification from MJW about PD being RIGHT around the corner (IE right means 2 weeks not back to school season, not Christmas launch...) I would stick with the octo BD for now with teh refurb/open box buy on the ASUS board. If you can swing an extra $20 you can get slightly better parts. If $250 is your absolute max, I suggest looking for a used/refurb board that is still under warranty for a bit. thats a good deal on the CPU, the worst of the 4core BD chips are a hundred and the thuban/zosma chips are going to run you close to that now anyway since they are no longer produced.

If you can actually wait till back to school season or Christmas, then you should. Launch of new products = lower prices of old products.

Only way to get a good deal on those AMDs is to hit up forum FS sections or better yet Ebay because someone doesn't know what they have is valuable and is selling it cheap.

As for Intel for gaming. Not an issue unless you are using a $200 GPU on a $20 monitor. :)

i am confused from eailer i wanted to go with
http://www.google.com/products/cata...P2DqT9_2IujY0QGLyYG3BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CMwBEOUNMAE

thats the 8120 and it cost more now lol

They told me it was Bad go with a Phenom CPU so i was looking up then some one suggested the 4170 and i really like that one now people are telling me to go with 8120 i think ill go witht he 4170 or theres a six core i was looking at in my price range

i am confused from eailer i wanted to go with
http://www.google.com/products/cata...P2DqT9_2IujY0QGLyYG3BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CMwBEOUNMAE

thats the 8120 and it cost more now lol

They told me it was Bad go with a Phenom CPU so i was looking up then some one suggested the 4170 and i really like that one now people are telling me to go with 8120 i think ill go witht he 4170 or theres a six core i was looking at in my price range

I think RGone is right in the end, but,- Bad to go with the Phenom II CPU?
I have the option on going for a brand new FX-8150 at almost no cost to me because my x6 commands solid money even used.

I ain't touching it with the opposite end of a Battle Ship :) not just because of the heat, but also because the Phenom II is in every way Better, including performance.

However, the FX-4170 is still not a bad chip for its money, not bad at all :)

Does it? I have not seen this in a while. (Im not an AMD basher, both my rigs are AMD)

*cry I said both and not 4 or 5 :(

Yeah, there was a review floating around somewhere with an AMD Trinity desktop part vs Bulldozer..... They were showing something like a 15% IPC improvement on average. Not too bad

My last 7 rigs have all been AMD, just as my main + HTPC are currently AMD..... I'm a fan, though I do try to be impartial when making recommendations. It's not fair on those asking questions if I'm not :shrug:

Look we need to face reality here. Frakk has touched on it but he did not make it 'perfectly' clear about the heat. Neither of the CM 212 series can handle an 8 core FX overclocked. Not a snowballs chance in SanAntonio. It takes a pretty good overclock to make an FX more powerful in work than a thuban which AMD purposely removed from sales to force the FX on peeps is my guess.

Agreed, hence my previous post stating you have to take CPU + mainboard + CPU cooler into consideration when comparing each from a value point of view. You'll notice I linked a more expensive and higher performing PHanteks cooler as a recommendation for an AMD 8 core build, whereas I recommended a cheaper Hyper 212-EVO for an Intel Sandy Bridge build. You just don't require the same level of cooling for a decent overclock with Sandy Bridge, plain and simple.

I have nothing but good things to say about the AMD 980. I got it cheap, 140 bucks, and I have it running smoothly at 4.4Ghz for gaming. For 24/7 use, I have it running at 4.1, and lately, I have started dropping it all the way down to 2.0 at 1.00Volts in an attempt to prolong the chips life.

I have nothing but good things to say about the AMD 980. I got it cheap, 140 bucks, and I have it running smoothly at 4.4Ghz for gaming. For 24/7 use, I have it running at 4.1, and lately, I have started dropping it all the way down to 2.0 at 1.00Volts in an attempt to prolong the chips life.

Good Grief... how many years do you want out of it? it will last at least 3 years @ 4Ghz. :)

Look we need to face reality here. Frakk has touched on it but he did not make it 'perfectly' clear about the heat. Neither of the CM 212 series can handle an 8 core FX overclocked. Not a snowballs chance in SanAntonio. It takes a pretty good overclock to make an FX more powerful in work than a thuban which AMD purposely removed from sales to force the FX on peeps is my guess.

At this juncture without the benefits supposed to come with PileDriver...the 2500K is the better deal if still available.

I did not read the whole post again, but I think I posted about him getting a FX-4170 because they seem more able to get to 4.5Ghz than any of the other FX processors without so dang much heat. That speed is necessary for performance.

Didn't thank you only because a 2500K puts him at his limit for cpu+motherboard. with out the motherboard. Yes certain deals will get him in that range but not likely for everyone. Not me and I live in the US. I cant get to a microcenter.

Good Grief... how many years do you want out of it? it will last at least 3 years @ 4Ghz. :)

LOL if one can clock up high and clock low for 24/7 usage why poopoo that. Saves on electricity if nothing else.

Not just CPU but fan power.

We moved from 100W incandescents to 15W just as bright bulbs. Why not move to a lower power machine? When it needs to be?

Intel argues the same thing. EIST yo

LOL if one can clock up high and clock low for 24/7 usage why poopoo that. Saves on electricity if nothing else.

Not just CPU but fan power.

We moved from 100W incandescents to 15W just as bright bulbs. Why not move to a lower power machine? When it needs to be?

Intel argues the same thing. EIST yo

Lol, funny. I replaced all bulbs in the house with LED bulbs, fluro's in the living room. On the other hand I persist with running AMD instead of Intel and chewing more power on that, yet I've replaced my LCD with a LED backlit LCD to save power, gone to all Platinum rated PSU's throught the house to save power..... :p

What I burn with my CPU I try to make up elsewhere. Heck, if only my brother would replace his Plasma TV with a nice energy efficient LED backlit LCD TV, it would be the biggest power saver in the whole house :-/

I keep waiting (hoping) for global warming to hit the Pacific Northwest. Too hard to grow a decent garden here unless all you like are peas and lettuce.

Lol, last I checked they'd stopped calling it global warming and refer to it as climate change because it now looks like things are cooling down. Certainly true here in Australia.

Lol, last I checked they'd stopped calling it global warming and refer to it as climate change because it now looks like things are cooling down. Certainly true here in Australia.

Shucks! Missed it again.

The older I get the more I discover how much I don't know. Once my kids hit about 25 I started getting smarter, though.

Yeah, but at 4.4 I need 1.55Volts. Which, as I know it, is right on the cusp of being past the voltage recommendation. For gaming it is awesome, I gain 3-7 frames, and temps don't go past 55 degrees on the core (They do however, hit 60 when I prime run which is why I don't use it 24/7). I figure, for right now, browsing the net, watching videos and generally just sitting idle, 2.0 allows me to do all of that no problem, while temps never go above 33 degrees.

Lol, funny. I replaced all bulbs in the house with LED bulbs, fluro's in the living room. On the other hand I persist with running AMD instead of Intel and chewing more power on that, yet I've replaced my LCD with a LED backlit LCD to save power, gone to all Platinum rated PSU's throught the house to save power..... :p

What I burn with my CPU I try to make up elsewhere. Heck, if only my brother would replace his Plasma TV with a nice energy efficient LED backlit LCD TV, it would be the biggest power saver in the whole house :-/
I hear you. I would like to reaffirm my LCD monitor heat into either resdiual heat for winter time or expunged in summer.

I keep waiting (hoping) for global warming to hit the Pacific Northwest. Too hard to grow a decent garden here unless all you like are peas and lettuce.

Global warming pshaw. I am ready for the folloing step. global ice age.
we in triple digits in the US. not a good thing.

Been Check some Ebay Listing seeing some 8120 going for 140 Buy it now Price so ill will be checking Ebay before i buy my stuff to see if i can find one under 150 plus that mobo ASUS M5A97 you guys think thats good if i cant get the 8120 then ill go with the 4170 or look on ebay for the Mobo haha let me do that see if i can get that cheap to Such a CHEAPY.

I'm waiting for that Global warming myself, its 19c here and has been for the past few weeks, its summer!!!! :shrug:

Our government has just stopped a tax rise on fuel and frozen it for a while because its getting ridiculously expensive to fill up the car.

Predictably all the tree huggers and earth worriers have gone mental :mad:

Now, my own opinion is i don't think its good to burn all of whats left of fossil fuels and all that.... i think hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go...

But for now the world still has to function, people still need to be able to afford to go to work, and have the freedom the car brings them without it becoming a commodity for the elite only, you know?

I'm board silly with these people and its becoming more and more obvious there incapable of thinking rationally, or are just anti capitalist, anti possessions, marxist far left wing politicized under an organic cloak.

They just make me want to go out and buy an enormous V8 Range Rover, just to annoy them :D

Sold Ps3 for 200 Dollars New Budget 400 YEA! so i might be going with Intel now Idk thought

A Couple of things...

You need to do a couple of things if you really want some helps. Go into your User Control Panel and make a 'signature' showing WHAT YOU HAVE TO USE in a new computer system. Just write...have this stuff and name it your signature.

Somewhere in your Profile at User Control panel, is a place to say you live in the Usa, Canada, Uk or some place...so we know what country you are buying parts in. No sense in me looking for a bargain in the Usa if you live in BFE.

People would be a lot more interested in helping if you help yourself as well. Good luck having more monies, now maybe you can get a decent setup.

Sold Ps3 for 200 Dollars New Budget 400 YEA! so i might be going with Intel now Idk thought

Back