• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A97 R2.0 / FX6300 / Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1866 2X4GB / Hyper 212 EVO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danny1976

Registered
Hello forum, I am new here. I just updated my system and I am trying to overclock it. I am looking for someone who has the same PC setup and can tell me their BIOS configuration that is stable. I don't want to over work the system, I am just looking for a nice boost.

I would like to have the CPU at 4.3 and the memory at 2400. I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.3 GHz, but I am having issues with the memory. I have been able to overclock the memory to 2133, but I have read it this memory can easy be overclocked to 2400 and be stable. I also want to keep the Cool & Quiet option enabled, because I dont want it to be at 4.3GHz all the time. I am guessing the CPU settings go in hand with the memory timings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. If I did not provide some needed information, please let me know and I will provided it.

Welcome to OCF Danny, there's a link in my sig to a good guide for OCing the FX that's worth a read.
I would just like to say that FX works best IMO with the memory at 1866-2000MHz. The increased speed is just harder on the CPU_NB(IMC) which is likely where your issues lie. IF you really want that speed from the ram the NB has to be at 2400+ so I would set the CPU_NB voltage between 1.25v and 1.3, that might help you out.
One thing that will help us help you are shots of CPUz main,memory and SPD tabs plus a shot of HWMonitor(free version) while the PC is under load with P95 for about 20 minutes. This will show us temps,volts and settings all in one opost and saves a lot of questions.

Welcome to OCF Danny, there's a link in my sig to a good guide for OCing the FX that's worth a read.
I would just like to say that FX works best IMO with the memory at 1866-2000MHz. The increased speed is just harder on the CPU_NB(IMC) which is likely where your issues lie. IF you really want that speed from the ram the NB has to be at 2400+ so I would set the CPU_NB voltage between 1.25v and 1.3, that might help you out.
One thing that will help us help you are shots of CPUz main,memory and SPD tabs plus a shot of HWMonitor(free version) while the PC is under load with P95 for about 20 minutes. This will show us temps,volts and settings all in one opost and saves a lot of questions.

he does have kingston memory, isnt that the stuff that can sometimes be funky with FX chips?

Hello forum, I am new here. I just updated my system and I am trying to overclock it. I am looking for someone who has the same PC setup and can tell me their BIOS configuration that is stable. I don't want to over work the system, I am just looking for a nice boost.

I would like to have the CPU at 4.3 and the memory at 2400. I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.3 GHz, but I am having issues with the memory. I have been able to overclock the memory to 2133, but I have read it this memory can easy be overclocked to 2400 and be stable. I also want to keep the Cool & Quiet option enabled, because I dont want it to be at 4.3GHz all the time. I am guessing the CPU settings go in hand with the memory timings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. If I did not provide some needed information, please let me know and I will provided it.

Even with the exact hardware configuration copying someones BIOS settings would be a crap shoot at best.

Why do you want your ram overclocked? Why that high?

Why "4.3ghz"?

M5a97 will hold you back.

Kingston memory doesn't play nicely with amd rigs.

Cool n quiet will impact your overclocking stability.

Some things to ponder I guess.

Why do you want your ram overclocked? Why that high?

Why "4.3ghz"?

M5a97 will hold you back.

Kingston memory doesn't play nicely with amd rigs.

Cool n quiet will impact your overclocking stability.

Some things to ponder I guess.

Why? Because I have seen that memory being overclocked at 2400 MHz stable, but it was on an MSI Z87 MPower with an Intel i5 4670K. The FX6300 I have seen overclocked to 4.5-5.0 GHz on the ASUS M5a97 R2.0
. I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.3 and maybe will go up to a 4.6. When I am able to increase the memory speed, I do see a big difference in the system performance. I was able to boost the memory to 2133MHz and I wanted to see if anyone had done this with the same mobo and cpu set up.

That 2400 speed is Intel. AMD won't normally go that fast. Sweet spot for AMD is around 1800, so 1866 would be a good target.
You won't see 5 gig with your current cooling solution. 4.5-4.6 would be a good target.

That 2400 speed is Intel. AMD won't normally go that fast. Sweet spot for AMD is around 1800, so 1866 would be a good target.
You won't see 5 gig with your current cooling solution. 4.5-4.6 would be a good target.

Thank you for your explanation and feedback. It made sense and straight to the point.

Out of curiosity, is the M5A97 R2.0 an EVO or PRO ? you should be able to hit at least 4.4ghz with that config (there's another thread if you got 2m with roughly the same config and he hit 4.6ghz).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/764083-First-Time-Overclocker-AMD-FX6300

1866 is the sweet spot for FX and even if you manage to get it to the speed you want the benefits will be minimal, at best 2-3 fps in games and you will be putting undue stress in components/overclocking stability.
All manner of power saving features should be disabled until you find your perfect stable OC, and even then only a few can be turned back on again for stability purposes.

Is it only the 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Fury that give problems with FX or is it all of them ?

This would depend on which M5A97 R2.0 you have as there are a couple of flavors. One of which is a 4 phased no heatsink on mosfets, no-way-would-i-suggest-overclocking on them board. The other has a heatsink on those 4 phases, but is iffy, and then the evo which would be ok.

Last edited:
That 5.0 ghz overclock on Youtube you refer to. Was it truly stable? Would it pass several hours of stress testing or is it only stable enough to get into Windows and run a benchmark?

I am not sure how stable was the 5Ghz, but this motherboard is really stable for only costing $79.99. Between the the mobo, mem, cpu, & cpu fan, I only paid $249.04. I am running the system at 4.5Ghz and the memory at 2133Mhz. The system is stable and temperatures are way cool. Below is a video of someone who put together a system similar to the one I put together and was running at 4.7Ghz and 2133Mhz, with really good temperatures and super stable. I think this is a really good system at this price range with a great stable performance.

$700 Build - AMD & ASUS Gaming PC - FX 6300 & R9 270X

Here is the PC parts I bought at Amazon:
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
$31.06
-AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
$89.00
-Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX318C10FBK2/8)
$48.99
-WD Blue 1TB Desktop 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
$52.99
-ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$79.99

Again, it depends on which version and what is going in it. I would agree 100% if you were talking about the M6A97 Evo/Pro, but the others are 4+2 power configuration and the base model doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRMs...it looks like that video they used the one that is heatsinked... but I really wouldn't push overclocks on that board, particularly with an octo core FX.

Again, it depends on which version and what is going in it. I would agree 100% if you were talking about the M6A97 Evo/Pro, but the others are 4+2 power configuration and the base model doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRMs...it looks like that video they used the one that is heatsinked... but I really wouldn't push overclocks on that board, particularly with an octo core FX.

This is the one I am using:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008V9959O

Earthdog, I have the older version of the Vanilla he is running, and have been using it at 3.8ghz on my PII 955 for years. The key with the board is don't shoot for the stars, cause that is a great way to let the blue smoke outta the blue smoke container!

As a side note, I have run an FX4130 up to 4.5ghz with over 24hrs Prime stable, but again, it is not a 6k series FX.

Ultimately, the M5A97 Vanilla is a fairly weak overclocker, but works for a modest overclocker. Squeeze what you can with a minimal voltage bump is my recommendation.

Back