• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making my rig colder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raskolnikov

Registered
Hi, could you help me make my computer as cold as possible, as it's overclocking friendly, and I plan to keep it for a while. Budget isn't that limited, maybe 150-200$ Newegg/NCIX (Canada) direct links welcome.

My current case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc..._re=rosewill_blackhawk-_-11-147-107-_-Product My current heat sink: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Hopefully I didn't invested in a bad case? Are the Rosewill fans that came with the case good enough, or should I replace them? (I want to have the maximum number, namely 10)

Other specs: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7 4930 G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2x Gigabyte GTX 980 4GB 750W Rosewill PSU

Can you post some pictures of your setup with the door off?

a second fan on the heat sink would help for little money and work.
if you will go to the case modding section you will find lots of pics to help you with cables and cleaning it up and looking pretty.

Three things:

- Flip the PSU over
- Do some serious cable management
- Stop sitting stuff on top of your case where exhaust fans are

Someone Mentioned Something About Your PSU, Definitly Flip It So The exhaust Is On The Bottom Of The Case,Add Another Fan On the Rear For A Push/Pull Configuration It Drop My Temps 9-14 Degrees Under Full Load While Running Prime,Also Clean Up Your Cpu Compound And Use Artic Silver Compound It Also Help With My Temps :D

Is Your Side Panel Open Or Closed

Someone Mentioned Something About Your PSU, Definitly Flip It So The exhaust Is On The Bottom Of The Case,Add Another Fan On the Rear For A Push/Pull Configuration It Drop My Temps 9-14 Degrees Under Full Load While Running Prime,Also Clean Up Your Cpu Compound And Use Artic Silver Compound It Also Help With My Temps :D

That PSU fan is an intake fan, not an exhaust fan.

It pulls cool air in from that large open area and pushes hot air out the back of the power supply.

And to the OP of the thread:
Your cables definitely could be managed better, you've got wires going everywhere. It's confusing and serves to cause a disruption to your airflow, resulting in higher temperatures.

I suggest you take another look at your cable management and try harder in that area to move your cables away from the airflow path. Try routing more of them behind your motherboard tray and drive cages to get them out of the way.

Last edited:
Swap the fan on the 212 for something a bit more powerful (about 3000 RPM top speed is good) and swap the side panel fan for a Delta or similar.

The variable speed Deltas aren't noisy when throttled down. Dell uses them in the Poweredge VRTX (a small blade server system) and markets it as quiet enough to use in a normal office environment.

The intended uses of the system will affect how much the fans will have to ramp up. If it's purely a gaming setup, there would be little cooling demand during other times and the fans can pretty much just idle during those times. If it's also a Folding box (which it should be, but that's another story...), it would then have to deal with the heat coming off the GPUs all the time. The Gigabyte cards do have great heatsinks, but they dump most of the heat inside the case as opposed to outside like the reference style coolers do. At least your setup has the cards spaced out. (In a SLI setup with the cards right next to each other, they highly recommend a reference style cooler for at least the top card.)

Closed.

As for the cable management, that was done by a compute technician. I generally avoid installing my own hardware because it always ends in disaster.

Someone recommend the following to me:

10 fans is too many -- you'll just end up blowing air everywhere without cooling properly.
If you're going to stick with that case, you should have 5 fans and yes I'd dump the fans that came with the case.
Because of how restrictive the airflow can be over the drive bays, I'd put another intake on the side or the bottom in addition to one in the top.
To summarize:
Front Intake: 2x NF-P12/F12
Rear Exhaust: 1x NF-P12/F12
Top Intake: 1x NF-A14 in the forward position only (block rear position if possible)
Side Intake: 1x NF-P12/F12 OR Bottom Intake: 1x NF-A14
Be sure to consider pricing here. You may be better off buying a FT-02, FT-05, RV02, RV03, or RV05 because they come with very good fans and have near perfect airflow out of the box.
Edit: And yes, NH-D15 for the CPU cooler.

And also this:

"CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-P14025KK-RP 122.2 CFM 140mm Fan Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-P14025KK-RP 122.2 CFM 140mm Fan I assumed that being able to have 2 140mm fans on top meant being able to have a 280mm radiator."

As of right now I would just worry about your cable management before you try and get more stuff to add more wires. A technician may have installed everything but they don't care about cable management on other peoples systems. IMO anyways

and ten fans aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as you dont have them just blowing in any direction whatsoever. I have 8 in my H440 case and I have no issues with air.

Idle temperatures are borderline useless.

Loop Unigine Heaven for 30 minutes then re-post showing max CPU and GPU temps.

I hope that cputin is reading wrong. All you other temps look good. what do they get to under load

Apparently it's the sensor that sends bad information from the motherboard. I'm going to run the benchmark application for 30 minutes.

Back