• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB and RAM Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgreenly

Registered
I am looking to upgrade my PC from AMD 1075T to an i7 3770 and I am looking for motherboard and RAM suggestions.

What I have:

CPU: i7 3770
Fan: Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Radeon HD 5770
HD: Intel 570 SSD and 2 1TB 7200rpm
PSU: Dont recall brand, but it is a decent 850w modular
RAM (budget < $100): ??? Was looking at 8GB of something decent (2133, 1866, or 1600)
MB (budget < $250): ??? I was originally looking at the eVGA z77 FTW, but have heard mixed reviews lately...also, there is probably a board that will be better for my needs out there. (I need/want USB 3 and SATA 3)

How I use it: Light gaming and medium to heavy multitasking (photo editing; mostly Adobe Lightroom). I know the 3770k is more overclockable, but I like the vm features of the 3770. I dont plan on doing multiple GPUs. I am willing to do mild overclocking to get my RAM to rated speeds (as much as the 3770 will let me).

All my custom builds in the past have been AMD, so I'm not as familar with what Intel chips like for performance. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
So you run vm's?

ASRock z77 extreme 4 and really amy major brand ddr3 1600 cl9 @ 1.5v

The i7 3770K has a unlocked multiplier, you can beat the speed of VM in the i7 3770 non k by overclocking the k model.

The non k is vary limited overclocking because intel locked BCLK with PCI-E bus.

Last edited:
So you run vm's?

ASRock z77 extreme 4 and really amy major brand ddr3 1600 cl9 @ 1.5v

Thanks for the quick response.
I dont have the VMs powered on all the time (and rarely multiple at a time), but yes. I saw a set of 8gb Ripjaws (X series I believe) that were 1600 w/ CAS 7 and 1.5v for $75...would that be a better option?

So is it true that the z77 FTW still has issues, or has eVGA finally fixed it?

The ASRocks z77 extreme4 is a lot cheaper than z77 FTW, how does it compare in real use situations? Is it even in the same league?

Every board has issues in one manner or another. If you're looking for a prefect motherboard, you won't find it.......LOL

+2 ASRocks z77 extreme 4 is a good board people here have had good luck with it and it has all the options you need or want.

Back