• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Meet Tanker!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOO HOO !! Adak has turned Case Modder, nice build there Adak, nice PPD too, and you just passed me Again, well that was inevitable seeing I,m not folding, these days due to situations here.

Well done my fine friend!

Thanks mate!

Nothing as complex as what you and the rest of the modders take on.

How did I miss this thread?!? Adding to the 4P build links (thanks Norcalsteve!) so others can find it, too. ;)

Nice pics -- any updates or just lettin' her fold for now?

I.M.O.G. asked for some 4P benching help, which required Windows Server be installed, and downtime trying to figure out the Tao of benching. Like, after you have finished with one set of tests, do NOT click on the "Submit Scores", link -- that would be a rookie mistake, see? :p :p

Tanker is folding some World Community Grid wu's, while it's in Windows, today. Then it goes back to Linux, and F@H, and I'll give the new V7 client a try, in Linux.

I'll post some more pics of Tanker, tomorrow. soon. Having some back trouble, so kaput today.

Last edited:
Promised pics, at long last. :clap:

Behind that front grill, is the large (and quiet) 230mm fan! Case fans have 4 red led's on them.
DSCN0003.JPG

Looking down at the bottom of the mobo area. The mobo backplate cutouts were of little use in a case this large - but a modular power supply really helps. Also, the front panel USB and audio are not hooked up, since this is a dedicated folder, for now.

DSCN0010.JPG
Looking up to the top area of the mobo, you can see the space between the top of the case, and the top of the mobo, is less than an inch. Fortunately, the top of the case is very ventilated. Although I had to remove 2 140 mm top case fans to fit this over sized mobo in the case, the noctua fans aiming upward, do a good job of getting the heat out.

DSCN0011.JPG

Back diagonal view. The side panels have metal "tabs" that lock into openings in the top and bottom, as you slide the side on (Just like a Rocketfish case by Lian Li). The handle you see is to help you do that, with less force.
DSCN0016.JPG

Gives you some idea what the 4 led's shining out from the rear fan at night, look like.

With the front and rear fans running (230 mm and 140 mm respectively), power to Tanker while folding bigadv wu's has increased to 630 watts. That is very close to the the power of Macaholics similar 4P rig.

Last edited:
I LOVE YOU EXTREME FOLDERS...

I think I rather have a sandy bridge EP though. I cant find them yet :/

Sick rig man. Did you overclock it? I would with those fans, I hear you can overclock it on earlier super micro quad mobo. Can you please bench cinema4d benchmark on it with windows server. PLEASE!!!! I am looking to get myself 64 core for 3d rendering. If someone using those quad core mobos for 3d rendering if so can you post a screenshot of cinema4d bench please.
Thank you.

I'd replace those red LEDs with 365nm UV LEDs. Make it all glow at night. 400nm would be a nice deep purple.

Seems if you were running a 2p system the X5650 is Very close to the 6272, which i was not honestly expecting:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/31/amd-opteron-6174-vs-intel-xeon-x5650-review/9
(nice to see folding@home being used to benchmark systems - 1st time I have seen than :) )

But being the folding was benchmarked in March 2010 - I imagine the PPD rewards are the same as today for these CPU's?

Given the Huge rewards of the 4P systems I would have expected a 2P system to return a little more than 62k PPD...

bearing in mind that the 6174 is also Very close to the 6272:

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...t=0&page=14&slug=amds-opteron-interlagos-6200

Just that ofc the X5650 is 2P max like essentially you guys mentioned before

Seems if you were running a 2p system the X5650 is Very close to the 6272, which i was not honestly expecting:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/31/amd-opteron-6174-vs-intel-xeon-x5650-review/9
(nice to see folding@home being used to benchmark systems - 1st time I have seen than :) )

But being the folding was benchmarked in March 2010 - I imagine the PPD rewards are the same as today for these CPU's?

Given the Huge rewards of the 4P systems I would have expected a 2P system to return a little more than 62k PPD...

bearing in mind that the 6174 is also Very close to the 6272:

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...t=0&page=14&slug=amds-opteron-interlagos-6200

Just that ofc the X5650 is 2P max like essentially you guys mentioned before

Also bear in mind that at the time of the benchmarks i think that windows was used for bigadv as they were having problems with the linux cores whereas most current -bigadv run under linux.

Just to give you some frame of reference now, 2P x5670, so 400mhz more speed but same cores tops out at 165k PPD, 2p AMD 6274 tops out at ~250k and 4p tops out at 750k, these are on older 69xx WU, on 8101 the PPD difference is much less for 2p.

Bigadv PPD Spreadsheet

Thanks for that spreadsheet link, is good to see what kinda systems get what points on the bigadv

I have seen a few people mention Linux can do nice things to your PPD too

That 980X hatchet is running will be the kinda speed I am hoping to get to. Will see soon when the cooler for my 5650 arrives... the ebayer I am buying from used some kinda Super Slow courier - going to take about 7 days to get here unless i am Lucky -.-

Back