• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory: Max supported by MB or lower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EckoInLasVegas

Registered
I am building a new system right now. Now I am used to overclocking and been pretty successful at it. I am now at the point I am able to build a system to its max supported abilities.

I am using an Asus Sabertooth Z77 which has a max support of memory @ 1866. I picked up a set of 32GB Corsair (4x8gb) timed at 1866. Now my basic understand as I have never reached the max limits of a MB would be that I cannot OC the memory.

Would it be beneficial to buy slower memory with better timing and overclock them or keep my current setup? Am I even able to OC beyond 1866?

6 of one, half dozen of the other really with ram speeds and timings. For example... DDR3 1600 CL9 is as fast as DDR3 1866 at CL10... (not accurate but you should get the picture).

As far as overclocking it. I bet it would be possible, sure. You will have to increase some voltages for the IMC (on the CPU) to do so, and frankly, its not worth it as overclocking memory usually yields very little to no returns.

32GB is a TON of memory on this platform...do you use it?

I wont be using it for the time being. It will be used as an FTP/HTPC type server as well as a gaming PC. So it may be on quite a while but being used remotely and locally at the same time. I do mess with large file photo editing and well, anything I can try.

My last system was almost 7 years old with a refresh in hardware 4 years ago. I overbuild my systems to last. 7 years ago you couldnt barely even use 8GB of memory. Everyone said I was wasting my money when I did it. So, I am taking the same approach now.

I like to tinker with my components, and I like them to last a very long time if possible.

You should have saved some money and went 16GB. That would be fine in 4 years. Oh well. :)

I cant come close to 8GB NOW! Im a gamer and do some minor photo/video editing too..

This is very true most likely. My laptop has 16Gb of memory. Weather its a waste of money or not, I enjoy it. Lets say it wasnt a practical build when I started, and it probably wont end up as one when I am done.

So, regardless of the amount of memory, sticking with 1866 would be ok with higher timing VS lower speed and faster timing?

Correct. Leave it as is.. honestly, you can go down to 1600Mhz and be just fine. Memory speed makes very little difference in the vast majority of functions.

Back