• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 failed. Please HELP analyze the results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svetko

I ran memtest86 v1.40 (because my system was crashing) and this is what I got:

1. used both ram sticks on Dimm1 and Dimm 2, memtest86 failed on test#7 [Random number sequence], on the 14th minute.

2. Used only one stick (Kingston Value) in DIMM1. Test failed on test#7 (again) on the 8th minute.

3. Used my other stick, which I think was Kingston too, but I just don't see "kingston" anywhere on the stick. (I think I put it in DIMM2) Test failed on the same test #7 on the 7th minute.

4. Used the Kingston stick in DIMM3 - test failed on the same test#7.

I don't know if all this means anything. Please someone tell me if the problem is clearly in my RAM. (Kinda strange for both sticks to be bad though..) Should I run more tests?

Last edited:
Know Nuttin said:
try loosening those timings.

have you tried DIMM 2?

Yes - same failure in DIMM2.

My timings are actually 2.5-3-3-7 as of the "Optimal Settings" in the BIOS. I haven't changed anything there, because it crashesh if I try. What exactly timings should I try? (I'm fresh to this)

it's possible you have a faulty memory controller. It's hard to see 2 different sticks of memory failing the same test at around the same time.

svetko said:
I ran memtest86 v1.40 (because my system was crashing) and this is what I got:

1. used both ram sticks on Dimm1 and Dimm 2, memtest86 failed on test#7 [Random number sequence], on the 14th minute.

2. Used only one stick (Kingston Value) in DIMM1. Test failed on test#7 (again) on the 8th minute.

3. Used my other stick, which I think was Kingston too, but I just don't see "kingston" anywhere on the stick. Test failed on the same test #7 on the 7th minute.

4. Used the Kingston stick in DIMM3 - test failed on the same test#7.

I don't know if all this means anything. Please someone tell me if the problem is clearly in my RAM. (Kinda strange for both sticks to be bad though..) Should I run more tests?

Please try 2.5-3-3-7 and with a VDIMM value increase by one step.

Know Nuttin said:
it's possible you have a faulty memory controller. It's hard to see 2 different sticks of memory failing the same test at around the same time.

what is "memory controller"? is it on the mobo?

RJARRRPCGP said:

increase the "7" by 1 step?

RJARRRPCGP said:
cool - just started that with the Kingston stick in DIMM1 at the default 2.5-3-3-7 (again) and it PASSED successfully all tests! :attn: (6 times in 75 minutes and going!)

I might sound dumb, but I feel like memtest actually made my RAM better.. :) But this is not possible, right?

- Would this mean that this particular stick is fine? The system did crash in the first 2 tests..

- How long should I keep it going if it doesn't crash? (just to know for sure te stick is fine)

- When I had both sticks (in DIMM1 and DIMM2) it was still showing "Single Channel" in memtest86 screen. Shouldn't it say "Dual"? (Both sticks have same stats, even if they are different models.) Does this mean something's wrong with the 2nd stick, or maybe I should use DIMM3 instead of DIMM2?

Last edited:
describe how/when/what you were doing when you say the system crashed during the first 2 tests.

-test for at least 8 hours. Just let it run.

Dual Channel should be DIMM 1 or 2 and DIMM 3.

- the test have been running for almost 4 hours now with no crushing. passed like 20 times so far.

I'm running this test exactly like the second one that I ran, just before it couldn't pass even once. here:

--1st test that crashed: used both ram sticks on Dimm1 and Dimm 2, memtest86 failed on test#7 [Random number sequence], on the 14th minute.

--2nd test that crashed: Used only one stick (Kingston Value) in DIMM1. Test failed on test#7 (again) on the 8th minute with 0 passes.

My settings for ALL tests were the defaults, loaded with "Load Optimal Settings", with mem timings: 2.5-3-3-7. That's why I don't understand how it crashed before and not this last time (still going).

- never tried using my two sticks in DIMM1 and DIMM3 - thought I was supposed to use them in 1 and 2. could this be the reasom for my system crashes?

****.. the test went for over 4 hours and I had to stop it and move the computer in the livingroom.. since I did that EVERY test failed. I ran over 9-10 times - always failed on the same old test#7. I dunno how it passed it that one time (and was going for over four hours).

for the tests after that one I first tried the same exact optimal default settings (2.5-3-3-7) like 3 times - it never passed test #7 again. then, keeping the rest settings on "optimal", I tried:

2.5-3-3-8 (crashed on test#7) :bang head
2.5-3-3-9 (crashed on test#7) :bang head
2.5-3-3-10 (crashed on test#7) :bang head
2.5-3-3-11 (crashed on test#7) :bang head
2.5-3-3-12 (crashed on test#7) :bang head

all failed at the same spot: 7 minuts and some seconds, test#7. could not pass it even once.

also, my computer crashes every time when I exit the BIOS, and when the sys restarts I get a message: "CPU unworkable, settings changed, check Softmenu.." or something, and I notice it also says "DDR333", which I never set to such.. then I enter the BIOS and I see that everything actualy is fine, and the mem timings are exactly like I left them before it crashed. So, I just exit the BIOS WITHOUT SAVING, and memtest loads fine.. and crashes later on the mentioned test.

what do you think is the problem? is it the mobo or is it the RAM?

btw, what is "memory controller"?

memory controller is how your CPU accesses your memory. If you have a faulty controller, then you'll get errors. It's built into the motherboard chipset.

try reseating everything again.

Put the RAM in slots 2 and 3 (the two furthest from the CPU). That'll sort your bios crashing, and should sort your memtest problem.

Keep us posted.

Oli

save yourself some headaches, go down to best buy or some other big retailer and buy some new ram, test it and if it works, then return your old ram and keep the new stuff, if it doen't work, return it and get a new MOBO. Remember the acronym K.I.S.S.

arealsparky said:
save yourself some headaches, go down to best buy or some other big retailer and buy some new ram, test it and if it works, then return your old ram and keep the new stuff, if it doen't work, return it and get a new MOBO. Remember the acronym K.I.S.S.

Eh?

I'm 95% certain what I suggest will sort it. Hope so anyways :D

Oli

Ol!ver said:
Eh?

I'm 95% certain what I suggest will sort it. Hope so anyways :D

Oli

I think it would be great if it did, just thought it would be easier to isolate the problem component, so you don't waste time or money, fixing the wrong thing. Thats the thing I love about the big retailers, you can borrow stuff for thirty days with a security deposit...

Know Nuttin said:
memory controller is how your CPU accesses your memory. If you have a faulty controller, then you'll get errors. It's built into the motherboard chipset.

try reseating everything again.
Thanks. Can it cause the constant BIOS crash that I'm having?

Ol!ver said:
Put the RAM in slots 2 and 3 (the two furthest from the CPU). That'll sort your bios crashing, and should sort your memtest problem.

Keep us posted.

Oli
okay - done - and crashed again... on the exact test#7. I also did flash the BIOS with Abit's latest version (26) and I tryed this last test with "Fail-Safe Settings" loaded. didn't help...

arealsparky said:
I like that idea. I kinda doubt that both my ram sticks are bad, but will try that. Help me with what kind to buy - I want to get a stick of 512MB, so I can add another one in a couple of months from the same type to make it a gig. I'm not going to oc alot - maybe just a little.

I also just realized that in the exact moment when the system crashes there's this "click" coming from the computer.. Sounds like when you break something plastic.

Last edited:
I don't think so - my psu is 550W, even if it's not a best brand..

I realized another thing though. On the sticker of my RAM says:

256MB 333MHz DDR PC2700 DIMM CL2.5

2.5V

but in my bios there's no option to set lower than 2.6V for the RAM.

also for some reason when I load "Optimal settings" it sets the ram to 266MHz instead of 333. Is that normal?

Back