• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86+ question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I was wondering when using memtest, does it matter what the timings/spd are set at when running the test. Meaning if I am overclocking my ram/tightening my timings is this taken into the test? What I'm trying to figure out is if I pass say 3 rounds of memtest @ stock timings and spd and then run 3 rounds overclocked will it throw error codes if I'm too tight or running too fast. Also does on an AMD the NB Freq come into play in the test?

Yes, the timmings and frequency set in the BIOS will be used so yes it will affect the test if you are pushing the RAM beyond its capabilities. My advice is to set the RAM to its exact specifications manually and leave it. There is not much to be gained by overclocking the ram and will most likely cause major instability.

Well, the memtest didn't produce any errors, so in my case, the overclocked RAM are working perfectly.

That was kind of the point of my post

And yes, of course every tweak you make is taken into account when testing the hardware.

If memtest throw error, you have something wrong with your memory timing/speed/volts.

When you OC, you can first leave memory out of the equation by setting loose timing and play with the CPU while the memory wont be an issue, or first make sure your memory support the speed/timing you want by stress testing the memory ALOT before going on the CPU.

I recently tryed memtest for windows and i liked it. It even stress test the CPU if you run multiple instant of the prog, wich seems to be limited at 2000mb BTW so i need to run multiple instance.

Memtes_windows_testing_done_8thread.jpg

Well, the memtest didn't produce any errors, so in my case, the overclocked RAM are working perfectly.

That was kind of the point of my post

And yes, of course every tweak you make is taken into account when testing the hardware.
Sorry I didn't understand the purpose of your post at first, thanks. I just wasn't sure, when I first posted this if Memtest took into account the OC on the memory or if it was just testing it at stock clocks.

Back