• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing RAM on EVGA x58 SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jerdoggmckoy

Hello, you can view my computer specs in my signature. I wanted to find out if anyone has any input on whether I can mix the following RAM sticks, and if so, what settings should be modified.

I used to have in my computer OCZ Gold 6GB (3 X 2 GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
  • Timing = 8-8-8-24 and 1.65V
I just replaced that RAM with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 X 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
  • Timing 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V
  • Placed in green triple channel slots

I have the following questions and thanks in advance for any help!

• Can I go ahead and stick the 3 X 2GB OCZ sticks in the remaining three RAM slots I have?
  • If so, would I set the timing for all RAM to the 9-9-9-24?
  • Would I change the DIMM Voltage to 1.50V or 1.55V possibly?
  • I didn't understand RAM enough when I purchased the new sticks. I thought higher timing numbers were better. Now that I know, am I losing much by going from the 6GB at 8-8-8-24 vs 12GB at 9-9-9-24?
  • Does the additional 6GB of RAM make up for any timing loss?
  • Finally, how can I verify that my triple channel DIMM slots are running the triple channel? I saw some post around some forum about a guy saying only dual channel was working for him because not enough voltage or something like that.

Thanks again!

Yes you can stick the ram in the other channel's slots and it will work fine. You will want to manually adjust the timings to match each other. I would just change the Ripjaws timings to 8-8-8-24 to match the OCZ's, and maybe bump the voltage on them to say 1.55-1.6 and it should work just fine. I hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you both for the info!

Anyone have any answers for these?
  • Am I losing much by going from the 6GB at 8-8-8-24 1.65V to 12GB at 9-9-9-24 1.50V? Or does the additional 6GB of RAM make up for any timing loss?
  • Finally, how can I verify that my triple channel DIMM slots are running the triple channel? I saw some post around some forum about a guy saying only dual channel was working for him because not enough voltage or something like that.

Thanks again for all the help :D

You wont notice the timing loss outside of benchmarking regardless of the amount of ram.

CPUz memory tab shows what mode its in.

Back