• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice fans, FLG..:) It'll be interesting to see your results and pic's..Clocker has used AC fans on Sprocket..He may have some ideas if you need any..:D

FLG,
Indeed, I have used AC fans ( Comair Rotrons, similar to yours) and have a few suggestions.
I cannibalized an old AT PSU for the power cord connector and on/off switch.
The connector can easily be installed in the backwall of your case and the switch wherever is convenient, but you are also going to want a fan speed controller as those fans are very loud running at full speed.
I used a cheap light dimmer ( under $5) from HomeDepot, which worked fine but caused a lot of hum.
I've read that the more expensive ceiling fan speed controllers (around $20) solve this problem, but can't say for sure as I never tried it. Some of these also have the ability to turn the fans off completely, so you could eliminate the separate on/off switch.

There are definite advantages/disadvantages to using AC fans....
Advantages:
_They can move alot of air at relatively low speeds (my Muffin XLs went from 80 to 109CFM)
_They are independent of your PSU
_They seem to be of much sturdier construction than typical PC fans

Disadvantages:
_ You will need to shoehorn a completely separate wiring loom into your case, and the cable is a lot bigger than 12v wires
_The fan controller is kinda bulky too, you will have to be creative finding a place for it that is not only accessable but clean looking also.

That said, I really liked the performance, and you have the option of leaving the fans running even if the PC itself is not, which can be a good thing especially in the hot summer months.

Clocker, Do you have any pic's of that vcard cooler you were building yet..Are you still planning to put your H2O setup in an external box? :D

Currently I'm screwing around with some "minimum cooling" tests.

The external box is a future project for when I upgrade my whole water rig.
Need the new radiator to see what the size requirements are.
That may happen later this week.

Till then, I'm just doing some weird stuff to see what happens.

Bigger nipples...who could resist?
Yes, I am looking into upgrading all the components of the loop with the exception of the waterblock.
Bigger radiator ( apparently the '77 Bonneville heatercore is the unit of choice) and higher flow pump ( undecided) with larger diameter tubing.

I scored a case today to use as the external box for the water bits...might work, might not, but for free I couldn't lose really.
If nothing else, I now have yet another old PSU to add to my collection (up to 7, I think).

Hello guys whats up? I finally took the tin snips to the front two fan grilles and cut them out completely and boy did it sure help. The problem I am experiencing now is the front two air filters that come with the case seriously hamper the intake airflow. If I take both filters off I can feel the intake air moving towards the underside of the video card, when I place both filters back on the flow of air is decreased to the point where my hand needs to be near the fan in order to feel any air coming into the case. I know I can just not use the filters but then there would be a hell of alot of dust collecting inside of my case. Has anyone else run into this problem and what are some suggestions to remedy it?

Oh and by the way thanks to I believe Arch for posting links to the TIN Snips he used. I bought them from sears using that link and they worked great.

Own, if you read back a few pages or more you can see what I did to correct this issue..MTB856 also modded his front bezel for better air flow on page 69 or 70 ...Also see all 3 pages of pix at MOBY's home..Link below..:)

CLICK HERE

Depends on how much distance needs to be covered..With a pipe nipple.:D
What have you been up to lately, psikoticsilver ? Anything interesting going on..;)

I intend on posting some pictures of my Xaser modding, but I've yet to get around to it.

I also really have to start working on the window part, and finish off the lower fan mount.

And sometimes... sometimes I don't care what kind of distance needs to be covered. Smaller is better. :p

OMG this thread is soooo long it should be it's own forum...i can see it now.
Cooling
CPUs
Motherboards
XaserIII Mods
Alt. Mods
ect..

Last edited:
No actually the idea of a case with a filter on the side instead of a window is very intruging..

Imagine using the mesh that MTB used on the front of his case, along with a filter material close to what arch and MTB used..

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/v168/mtb856/Computer Mods/grill6.jpg

Look at the front of MTB's case.

Now imagine that material over the whole side of a case, with a filter over it! You could have like 4 fans in your case, each one blowing OUT. One at the top, one at the bottom, your PSU and the one next to your CPU (if you have an outward blowing graphics card, that would be fine as well). You wouldn't need ANY intake fans. All the air would come in filtered. Now the only downside would be cleaning the massive filter.

Basically, take the side panel of your Xaser, and cut out all but the outside frame (so it can still go on your case). Maybe you can keep a small window, but whatever. Now take all that empy space and tack up panty-hose or filter mesh like Arch and MTB did... imagine how awesome that would look with a backlight behind it, not to mention the cooling capabilities!! I am DEFINATELY going to try this.

Id have to say it would be a lot easier pulling the side of your case and running it under water for two seconds would be a LOT easier than those BS ones at the front of your case and/or the one's you attach to each fan. This would be uber to have four 120mm case fans on your side panel blowing in, and the front/rear/blowhole/psu all blowing out. Perfect. :)

-Frank

Back