• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor won't turn on during startup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

As the title says, my monitor won't turn on or come out of stand-by mode during start-up. I have to unplug the DP cable and replug it and then it turns on.

I have tried messing with some settings because recently I reloaded recommended settings on my mobo to troubleshoot something else, so I'm not sure if I had a setting in there which prevented the above.

I've tried auto/PEG mode in bios and I've just used nvidiaprofileinspector to make sure single display performance mode is selected instead of multi (since nvidia removed this feature from the 3d basic settings)

I did purchase a new DP cable recently and have been using it but the issue happens only sometimes so I'm confuzzled. I've not switched back to my original DP cable that came with the monitor instead to see what happens.

Any suggestions of what could be causing this?

I do run dual displays off my single GPU but I don't always use my 2nd display, and when I do, I use extend displays mode in windows.

Thanks.

Does your computer cold boot and return into your OS OK after sleep? Many here have issues with "sleep" mode including me. Have you tried to use the "Power Option" offerings and use power-down after a designated time instead of Sleep?

No sleep mode, just complete shut down before I go to bed, and turn the PC back on in the morning. Computer goes into OS just fine, I can hear the fans spin down which lets me know it's booted to windows but monitor is still in stand-by mode (orange light flashing)...have to unplug monitor DP cable from GPU and plug it back in, then monitor comes out of stand-by mode.

Try a 10-minute power down option instead of Sleep and see what happens. That way you can leave your computer on and have your monitor and drives power-down instead of a cold boot and stand-by.

I personally never turn off my computers, I use the power-down options for monitor and drives.

Try a 10-minute power down option instead of Sleep and see what happens. That way you can leave your computer on and have your monitor and drives power-down instead of a cold boot and stand-by.

I personally never turn off my computers, I use the power-down options for monitor and drives.

I don't use "Sleep" and I'm not interested in having my computer on at night. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Pepi,

My error using "Sleep," I meant substituting a 'power down' option instead of your 'stand-by' and see what happens.

No sleep mode, just complete shut down before I go to bed, and turn the PC back on in the morning. Computer goes into OS just fine, I can hear the fans spin down which lets me know it's booted to windows but monitor is still in stand-by mode (orange light flashing)...have to unplug monitor DP cable from GPU and plug it back in, then monitor comes out of stand-by mode.
I had similar issues with older monitors. The 'fix' was to wake up the monitors first (usually by hitting the menu button), then turning on the computer. If the monitors were asleep when the system woke up, it didn't detect the monitors. It was pretty annoying.

EDIT: An alternative fix is to use DVI or HDMI, rather than DP. My monitors only had the problem when using the DP cables.

I had similar issues with older monitors. The 'fix' was to wake up the monitors first (usually by hitting the menu button), then turning on the computer. If the monitors were asleep when the system woke up, it didn't detect the monitors. It was pretty annoying.

EDIT: An alternative fix is to use DVI or HDMI, rather than DP. My monitors only had the problem when using the DP cables.

I think you're right that it only happens with DP, yet this issue only started recently so I still have to see if it's the new cable or something else. I bought a higher quality/longer cable for better cable management but I've had the issue with the original too...it's just that my troubleshooting was not monitored or controlled so I have to do it again.

I'm not sure what qualifies as being "an older" monitor. Mine is the one in my sig, the 32 inch BenQ

I've now swapped back to my old DP cable and will let that sit for a few days of cold starts to see what happens.

I'll try your method too of waking up the monitor first if the above doesn't solve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Pepi,

My error using "Sleep," I meant substituting a 'power down' option instead of your 'stand-by' and see what happens.

Oh, my bad. So you're suggesting to do a power down of the system in power options? I've looked in the advanced settings, not sure where to create this type of plan?

There should be a setting in the monitor menu for setting the DP cable to "1.2". It may or may not solve the issue, but if it's set to disable it may not be reading your cable correctly...

There should be a setting in the monitor menu for setting the DP cable to "1.2". It may or may not solve the issue, but if it's set to disable it may not be reading your cable correctly...

It's set to 1.2. Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't think of this...

Cable is fine, woke up this morning, same issue, had to unplug/replug the cable.

What I'm saying is that the new cable I bought isn't the issue...my old one does the same thing.

Do you have the ability to try the monitor on a different computer to see if it behaves the same?

Do you have the ability to try the monitor on a different computer to see if it behaves the same?

With a DP cable, unfortunately no, just HDMI on a laptop and it will behave fine.

I tried shutting the monitor down completely...came home, turned on my PC, waited for it to load into windows (I know when this is because my GPU LED turns a certain color), turned the monitor on, no signal detected...pulled cable out of monitor and quickly put it back, came on just fine.

Going to reset monitor settings but I have a feeling it's a BIOS setting and I don't know which one...

Could my intel graphics driver be conflicting even though I have GPU input set in BIOS to PEG and not Auto?

I've reset monitor settings, reinstalled monitor driver, installed new NVIDIA driver which came out yesterday and removed intel graphics driver...we'll see what happens when I get home from work and power up my PC.

Is there any particular reason you are using the DP on the monitor? Does it have other input options? Does the video card have other output options?

It has HDMI, DP, others too if I remember, runs at 1440p resolution. I've been using DP since I bought it 2 years ago or more now and it was fine, just recently it started to do what it's doing...

Is it still under warranty?

I had a monitor once where either the VGA or the DVI mode (can't remember which) quit working but the other mode still worked.

I think what you are experiencing however, is more likely an issue with the video driver or with a Windows update. It would be interesting to see how it would behave under Linux. I would be tempted to burn a Linux Live disc and test that out.

So far everything I have tried has failed and I've never used linux but I can give that a go when I have time. The last thing I'm trying is not plugging the monitor into my UPS and instead to just a regular power bar.

Back