• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor won't turn on during startup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So far everything I have tried has failed and I've never used linux but I can give that a go when I have time. The last thing I'm trying is not plugging the monitor into my UPS and instead to just a regular power bar.

I wouldn't think that should make a difference.

With a live Linux CD you can test the Linux theory without having to make any changes to your hard drive. Try the latest version of Mint.

I wouldn't think that should make a difference.

With a live Linux CD you can test the Linux theory without having to make any changes to your hard drive. Try the latest version of Mint.

Ok, I will...so basically I'm booting up my PC using a Linux CD? Because rebooting is fine, monitor turns on, it's only from cold starts that it won't come out of stand-by.

Yeah, booting from the CD. By cold starts do you mean when the computer is completely powered down or do you mean when it's in hybrid or sleep mode?

Yeah, booting from the CD. By cold starts do you mean when the computer is completely powered down or do you mean when it's in hybrid or sleep mode?

Cold start, from full shut down, stays that way for overnight or until I get home from work...for some reason the monitor powers up fine if I get it going the first time...then I can do reboots or full shutdowns and it's ok...it's just when it's shut down for longer periods of time...like overnight...This is why I find it so frustrating...

Did you try my trick of waking the monitor up first before waking the computer?

Did you try my trick of waking the monitor up first before waking the computer?

I did and it works but the problem is I have to catch it perfectly with starting up the PC or it won't pick up the signal lol

Sounds like the same issue I had. Never figured out to fix the problem, and eventually moved the monitors off DP. As far as I could tell, when the monitors when to sleep, they stopped sending the "connected" signal over DP, so the computer thinks the monitor is physically disconnected.

Sounds like the same issue I had. Never figured out to fix the problem, and eventually moved the monitors off DP. As far as I could tell, when the monitors when to sleep, they stopped sending the "connected" signal over DP, so the computer thinks the monitor is physically disconnected.

But but answer me this riddle! Why would it start happening now for the past couple of weeks when it was fine for 2 years since day of purchase?

Also, does HDMI do 1440p @ 60hz will full RGB?

I have 2 monitors connected via HDMI 2560x1440 with no problems. No idea on why it is an issue now, and wasn't before.

I have 2 monitors connected via HDMI 2560x1440 with no problems. No idea on why it is an issue now, and wasn't before.

Alright, HDMI it is...and I just bought a nice new soft, gold plated DP cable :(

derp, gpu has only one hdmi input...3 DP...going to try another DP input...I need the only hdmi for my 2nd screen...it doesn't have DP

Last edited:
Just get a cable with HDMI on one end for the monitor and DVI on the other to plug into the GPU. The only difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI also carries an audio signal. The video signal is the same resolution.

It dawned on me last night that I have 3 DP inputs in the GPU...I tried a different DP input instead of the one I've been using since I got the card and voila, this morning, monitor turned on just fine from an over night shut off...I'll report again once I have tried this a few times but this could be it...

Not sure why I didn't try a different DP port before :p

Came home from work, turned on PC, monitor turned on with PC...busted DP port it looks like...hmmm...

Last edited:
Not totally busted. It does produce an image. You might have a hard time if you tried to RMA the GPU because that port still basically works.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with video cards not being UEFI compatible recently but that wouldn't explain why this started recently after working before.

still something to look into if your feeling up to it
see if theres a security or start up setting that gives a legacy bios mode instead of a UEFI mode, changing it to auto or to legacy first if you have it fixed it for me. this was on a prebuild Lenovo business tower though

Back