• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mortal Kombat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
This one I do have.

This is a review of the 360 version. 1-10 scale, with 5 being average.

Took about 10 hours to beat story mode. Half of that was FMV though. The basic premise (told during the intro FMV) is that right after the end of the last game, you see all the fighters laying on the ground dead, and Shao Kahn thumping the ever-living daylights out of Raiden. Raiden then sends a message to himself in the past in an attempt to avoid this future. The game then goes through the first 3 Mortal Kombat's story lines in sequence with changes in story to reflect Raiden's new knowledge. The storyline is a mix of the 2 movies and the first 3 games. The story is cliche at times, the voice acting can be cheesy, but it is told well, and there is a M. Night Shyamalan-esque epic twist at the end that I should have seen coming but didn't. Not the best story, but above average, especially considering the genre.

Story: 7/10

When it comes to how it looks, it is a mixed bag that is mostly good. I'm playing the game in 720p. It looks sharp. The characters move fluidly, and you see bruises/cuts appear during battle that stay with the character during that battle. The special moves are beautifully animated. The only flaw I really found were the faces/talking graphics. I've seen better in PS2 and Wii games. A rather odd blemish, but it is a noticeable blemish, especially during cut scenes when you see beautifully drawn/shaded bodies, and jarringly last-gen heads. Would have scored this higher had the heads/faces been done better.

Graphics: 8/10

When it comes to control, I again found a mixed bag. Then again, many of the fighters control differently to how I remember them being. Fighters that used to be quick and nimble are now more into brawling. Some characters went from being heavy hitters to being very, very, very quick. Some play the same as always. Old muscle memory failed me as the special moves were sometimes the same, sometimes different from how I remembered. Moves were snapped off quickly and efficiently. However, there was a flaw, and this is something that I chalk up to me having a heavy thumb. Accuracy of the movement input is a little off. Analog is great for movement back and forth and the difference in a tiny push right and a big push right is huge in the game. But it isn't always accurate. I think i can attribute a lot of this to me having a heavy thumb, but some characters I could pull off every special move every time, others, I couldn't pull one off to save their lives. Not being sure as to if the issue is me or the game, I can't really say if this is a me-specific issue or if it is an actual issue. For everything else outside of a handful of character's special moves, the control was tight and spot-on.

Control: 8.5/10

Overall, this is a very solid, very fun game. I've unlocked all but 1 character by playing through storymode. My new favorite character is Smoke. He is massively changed from being a Scorpion Clone and is now full of awesome. I have finally turned from Nightwolf (only slightly, still my 2nd fave) and Sub-Zero (my former first fave). The game is awesome fun 4 player (yes, 4 player, 2 on 2!). There is massive potential to cheese the tag-in-tag-out combo system, but the game also has a built in combo-break system to help deal with that. Oh, and a well timed block still leaves the cheesers open to an awesome combo of I-just-whipped-your-@ss.

This game finally brings Mortal Kombat back to the realm of MK1-Trilogy (right before they branched off and destroyed the series with MK4). It is fast, fun, furious, and worth finally buying a MK game again.

Overall - 8/10.

The game is decent from the amount I've played (currently stuck with Liu Kang vs Scorpion+Quan Chi in Story Mode).

The last MK game that I really played for more than a day was MK3 - I loved that game, and a lot of the moves/combos seem to be more complicated (and/or) different from how I remember it which is throwing me off a bit. I'll see how much more I can get into the game. I never thought I'd say this but I think I like the combo system more in MvC3 than MK3.

I love this game, I have spent the last weekend playing it non-stop. My brother who never plays games is completely addicted to this game since it comes from an era that he played lot of games in. They really stuck to their roots and added lots of stuff to keep it modern and new. BTW anyone else love the way scorpion plays? Also anyone get really good with Kratos(seems like he would be a beast if mastered)?

Excellent game and I definitely recommend anyone who is even a remote fan of MK to pick this game up.

don't like scorpion. I used to be a sub-zero and nightwolf guy. Now i'm almost strictly smoke. Smoke is now much better as his own seperate character/moveset vs. being a scorpion clone.

One of my friends loves cyber sub-zero. My brother that always played reptile loves the new reptile. Dad always loved playing as Jax and is getting a kick out of the way jax plays now.

The big surprise to me is that Johnny Cage is now more than an afterthought and is a great combo-machine.

Looking forward to Kenshi as DLC. Already been confirmed as such, but not sure when he will be available. He is probably the only character from MK4-on that I enjoyed, and with the way the game is designed, he should be a deadly mid-range fighter.

Man this game is truly a shot of nostalgia, probably the best current-gen fighting game I have played.

Nuff Said

BTW the MK fight sticks are incredible!!!!!

I suggest any fan of the arcade series pick them up, absolute flawless integration!

When I was playing I used a MadKatz SFIV TE and the stick was perfectly fine for playing. I don't think I will continue playing as I don't want to pay for a kombat pass (or whatever the hell they call the online thing, similar to what EA does with their games now).

you don't pay for the kombat pass if you buy the game. it comes with a little card inside the case with a number you put in to activate it.

yeah I know, I borrowed the game from a friend (said I could borrow for a couple weeks while he is on vacation).

Kung Lao is totally broken in this game. :p

Jade is who I play. Has some pretty neat combos but her mixup game kind of sucks. :( Also I have it for PS3 which means no online for me yet...

So this plays like the old MK's 1-3?????

Man if so I just bought a ps3 tonight i'll be all over this I stopped playing after MK3 Ultimate. Because 4 just killed it and after that i tried every one of them that came out and eh they just were medicore fighting games at best.

One thing I've missed since i have been away from the console scene fighting games. But street fighter got to crazy for me with all the counters and just felt like to much was added to those line of games, MK felt like it got to medicore and went to 3d.

But i guess now i can try out SF4 and the new MK lol time to pick up a fighting stick also.

It very much went back to it's 1-Trilogy roots. Combos are fast, moves are easy to pull off (i figured out i was just having fat thumb issues, i can now pull off moves about 99% of the time without issue), and the game is just packaged down tight.

also, in response to Kung Lao being broken, after doing a mini-tournament with some friends, I can now verify the following facts: Smoke is awesome. Cyber Sub-Zero is cheaptastic. Kano and Baraka are both designed to be anti-air. Kabal is the most broken combo-machine on the planet.

It very much went back to it's 1-Trilogy roots. Combos are fast, moves are easy to pull off (i figured out i was just having fat thumb issues, i can now pull off moves about 99% of the time without issue), and the game is just packaged down tight.

also, in response to Kung Lao being broken, after doing a mini-tournament with some friends, I can now verify the following facts: Smoke is awesome. Cyber Sub-Zero is cheaptastic. Kano and Baraka are both designed to be anti-air. Kabal is the most broken combo-machine on the planet.

Dam kabal was my favorite in mk3, loved that guy lol. Ermac in this one? I used to like to pull him out just as sort of a sleeper. Most people could not play him for BLEEP so you'd get him out and wreck someone.

Yes, Ermac is in it and he is awesome. Once you master his moves he is nearly unstoppable.

pretty much. the only counter to it i've found is just that Smoke is probably the fastest character in the game (possibly tied with Mileena as she is very quick too) and i'm able to zip around with his 3 or 4 different teleports and avoid all the nastiness Ermac throws around.

pretty much. the only counter to it i've found is just that Smoke is probably the fastest character in the game (possibly tied with Mileena as she is very quick too) and i'm able to zip around with his 3 or 4 different teleports and avoid all the nastiness Ermac throws around.

Indeed, I was never a real smoke fan but he has really grown on me.

I always hated smoke and scorpion. Smoke used to just be a scorpion clone. Now that he is his own distinct fighter, i'm finding him growing on me. My love of Sub Zero is still big, but i'm leaning more towards Cyber Sub-Zero. Always loved Nightwolf and now he's just awesome. I saw a friend pulling off combos with Nightwolf that I didn't know existed.

I think Kung Lao is not nearly as enjoyable as I remember and neither is Kabal. I used to do great combo's with both kabal and sub-zero in MK3 but not nearly as well in the new one. I really like to be scorpion in this new one were I was also so so on him before...I don't know why that is. I haven't tried smoke yet but his teleports are crazy. They've really done a great job fleshing out the old hidden characters that were just color palette swaps with the ninjas. I went to buy Portal 2 and they were sold out so I got this and I am not disappointed at all....and I got Portal 2 for almost half price on Amazon comming in two days....win win!

Back