• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for 1100T BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidHard

Howdy folks,

can anyone share the experience on a good motherboard for overclocking a 1100T BE? User looking for 4.2GHz with high HT / NB.

No Gigabytes though, bad RMA experiences.

Thanks reefa.

I wun b doin any xfire or sli.

Just need high proc clock, ram 1600, high ht / nb

I think the mosfets / vrm are important for voltages to oc right?

Read that b4, i think earthdog or graysky articles.

Maybe the firs question to be answered is what's your budget like?

Getting an 1100T to 4.2 ghz on air is occasionally achieved but I would not count on it. 4.0-4.1 is pretty common, though with a good supporting cast of components.

Getting an 1100T to 4.2 ghz on air is occasionally achieved but I would not count on it. 4.0-4.1 is pretty common, though with a good supporting cast of components.

Ic....

Cooling can be done on an Antec H90 closed loop, got one of those lying around.
Would 4.2ghz work on this kinda cooling?

What about the motherboard for this?

Tks in advance!

I would look at Asus boards first. ASRock's high end boards have not gotten as good a reviews as Asus' higher end stuff when it comes to the overclocking crowd, and I'm a pretty big ASRock fan. But the same class Asus stuff is a little spendier and I'm not sure what your budget is.

I can't answer your question about the Antec H90 as I'm not familiar with this unit. I can tell you that the better the quality of your motherboard and your PSU the better your chance of getting a higher overclock on the same cooling. Clean, low noise and steady electrical signals from these two components are a major factor.

And you might get 4.2 if you push the CPU voltage high enough but there are risks to this and many recommend not allowing the CPU vcore to exceed 1.55 under load as your normal, everyday settings.

Any 880, 970 or 990 board will work with 1100T CPU no problem. Look at what is out there and pick one with the features you want on it.

I have a GA-990FXA-UD5, GA-880GA-UD3H and Sabertooth 990 all working great, granted 2 are running stock speed, 880GA-UD3H at 3.2GHZ with Phenom II 1090T and 990FXA-UD5 at 3.6GHZ with FX-8150, Sabertooth is running at 3.4GHZ with FX-8120 CPU :)

Anyway, good luck on the hunt.

I know you said no to gigabyte, but I can't recommend my 970A-UD3 enough. I've got my X6 at 3.9 (it's a 960T, so I'm sure a regular thuban would go higher), and everything has been gravy. Tons of ports, and the price is awesome.

i think he should give gigabyte another chance.. they have great customer service and will help with any problems.. You might have just got bad one(whatever you had that messed up) :D But.. Any of them boards mentioned above would be what you really should be looking for.. *Chipset wise*

I have not found gigabyte's customer service to be good but that was 2-3 years ago. But then I have not found any of them to be particularly good.

I have not found gigabyte's customer service to be good but that was 2-3 years ago. But then I have not found any of them to be particularly good.

Lol. I was just thinking back to all the less than stellar experiences I've had. EVGA is the only company that has ever taken care of me - and they don't do AMD.

I think over time we would all have a variety of experiences if we had occasion to deal often with the various board mfgrs' customer support depts. Probably depends a lot on the individuals you happen to get connected with on the support team and it may also depend on how the company is doing financially at the time. One person has a bad experience, one a good one at different times. None of the board manufacturer's seem to be good at owning up to the real problems their products may have when you contact their tech departments but I notice they all seem to come up with bios updates that fix those problems that never were, if you know what I mean.

The Antec 920 is a good cooler though some people have had reliability issues with them which is comparable to the h100. Your temps won't get as low as the H100 but it is like 5%ish difference in preformance, I have both and the built in fan controler easily makes up for that. I had the 920 on my PII 1090T using a Asus CHIV up to 4175MHZ with decent temps, was so long ago I can't remember though there might be a screen cap in the old PhenomII Results thread somewhere if you care to look.

Gigabyte: Nothing against Gigabytes support team, have not tried them.
Over the distributor takes charge of RMA issues.

Cons encountered:
- location is less accessible (travel physically instead of mail in my location)
- rma 2 boards before; had to exhanged boards twice on both occasions before the boards would function well

yep those are famous!

Looking at some asrock boards, though cant decide if the vrms are good for overclocking

ASRock 990FX Pro is decent for your goals. I've used it on a 1100T to 4.2-4.3ghz, 8150 to 4.6-4.8ghz and a 6100 to 4.8ghz. VRMS are pretty good.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX or CHV (Crosshair V Formula) are excellent boards as well.

You could go with an older NB chipset but I only suggest 990fx incase in the future you want a Piledriver :) cuz I think Steamroller will be AM4

Back