• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for workstation and gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martybaker

Registered
Hi, I am about to build a computer that is capable of doing video efiting, graphic design, and gaming. I am looking for something around $200 that will deliver solid performance. I am a noob btw.

Thanks

I think if you gave use a total budget for the build we would be able to give better suggestions .
As we can suggest alot of motherboards for 200$ but many might be different sockets .

The video editing that you will be doing do the programs use Cuda acceleration ? Or does it prefer single core cpu speed or does it like Multi cores ?

All these things will change what we suggest .

What programs do you use?

We also need to knkw what cpu you habe to give you an idea of what motherboard to get. Square peg, round holes....etc.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a set budget, I plan on just buying the parts over the next 3 to 6 months until I have something together that I am happy with. I have not decidedkn what software to use because I have not done video editing before. I am a floorlayer by trade and I just want to add same nice graphics and short animations to videos that I post on facebook and my website if that gives you any idea.

Let us know when you are ready to purchase. The landscape will change here in a few weeks with intels new coffelake coming out. That could be for you, or ryzen... it depends. But if this is that far away, its a bit premature.

Buying now with the (little) information we have (again, what apps are you using??) Id go 7700k and z270 based.

Its hard without a budget to make good suggestions. :)

I like the AMD firepro W7000 4gb graphics card with 4 hdmi outputs. Do I need a particular motherboard to suit this?

Why a professional graphics card? I mean marty, you (still!!!!) haven't mentioned what application you are using and do not know if it is hardware accelerated or not - Helpful info to have man!!!!. Most people do not need professional graphics and those are TERRIBLE at gaming compared to its non pro counter parts.

So...... last time..:)....... what applications are you using and are they GPU accelerated?

- - - Updated - - -

Why a professional graphics card? I mean marty, you (still!!!!) haven't mentioned what application you are using and do not know if it is hardware accelerated or not - Helpful info to have man!!!!. Most people do not need professional graphics and those are TERRIBLE at gaming compared to its non pro counter parts.

So...... last time..:)....... what applications are you using and are they GPU accelerated?

I don't know yet what software I am going to use. I don't even know what games I'm going to play (most likely adventure type if that matters). What I do know is that I want a graphics carf with four outputs because I want one of those 4k 43 in monitors that can display four screens in one.

I am not a gamer (yet) but I just want something that won't be obviously **** for a newcomer to gaming

Last edited by a moderator:
You really don't want to just jump into buying all this expensive equipment if you really don't know the purpose of the system. Decide what you want to do first then... we can assist you considerably easier and cheaper.

The AMD firepro W7000 you mention, is all over the place for a referb card (not new) as well its 4+ years old. Even newer cards (gaming) have almost 2times the performance of this card for a around the same cost if not cheaper.Now I understand yes professional cards do have drivers that are great at doing some things, and some programs require the professional cards to activate features. Though some things you just need a standard, cheap gaming GPU to do what you need.

Really think about what you want to use it for. Most likely you can game with any card, you just might have to downgrade the graphics to run smoothly depending on if you go a professional card or a gaming card. I've been telling IT people for years at least what I do in my daily job... a gaming card not only is it cheaper (considerably) but faster then most professional graphics cards as we DO NOT use the required features for using a professional card at all.

Back