• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

professor

I have an entire build already but I'm looking to swap out my motherboard and cpu, plus will need DDR4 kit. I'm going to be getting an i7 8700k but need reccomendations on a motherboard for overclocking very hard the 8700k will be delidded. Could you reccomend me some motherboards? My budget would probably be 1000 $ for the motherboard ram and Cpu included

with that budget you will be able to get pretty much anything you want. i would look at the asrock taichi, it offers the best bang for the buck. the gigabyte auros 7 gaming is supposed to be solid and then you have the asus ROG boards that are supposed to be good as well. from what area are you going to be buying at? online or in store somewhere?

The top (overclocking) motherboard for the 8700k will be the Asus ROG Maximus X APEX, hands down. There are many great boards for 8700k and you will achieve a overclocks with most of them.

What will this system be used for?

(Edited)

Most likely id buy it either online or in a store. Probably amazon or newegg if i was to buy it in a store microcenter or something of that nature

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly gaming but I may want to do twitch and editing

Any of the high end boards will work for that then. The Apex is for setting world records. LOL

Most likely id buy it either online or in a store. Probably amazon or newegg if i was to buy it in a store microcenter or something of that nature

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly gaming but I may want to do twitch and editing
Just about any board will be fine, really. Most any decent board will take the CPU to its cooling limits and a $75 board will game, stream, and edit.

My cpu is starting to die so my 4.7ghz overclock on my 4790k isnt rock solid anymore so ill either wait for i7 9th gen or grab the rog apex and the 8700k

I wouldn't get the Apex.... seriously.. its not meant for ambient cooling (though clearly it will work fine) and, IMO, a waste of cash for ambient overclocks. 95% of boards out there will run into the CPU/heat limits before the board holds it back on ambient cooling.

Exactly. Unless you're cooling with Liquid Nitrogen (trust me you wont) then go with any good Z370 chipset board.

+1 you will be happy with the choice, both good boards. I'm waiting for the possible 8 core 9th gen.:drool:

While we're on the subject... (no need for a new thread right?)

I'm thinking about an 8700k to oc on air to 5.0 or whatever i can on air within reasonable (reliable) temps. Earthdog basically answered this already but I'm running it by y'all just in case.

most likely choice
asus prime z370-A
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119038

or maybe this one?
asus tuf z370 pro gaming
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6HN7962

other suggestions welcome but info is spotty on fan control for other brands i've looked at and onboard pwm fan control is very important to me.

i'm also wondering if there's any real reason not to go down a model and save a few bucks but the higher ones tend to have more vrm phases and bigger heatsinks. i just want to know that i'm not pushing the power section to the bleeding edge on an air oc causing it to melt the day after warranty runs out. other than that all i care about is having optical out, fanxpert4, and reliability/stability with enough usb connections and pcie lanes for my m.2 drive and a few hard drives with a wide open pcie x16 3.o slot for any video card i choose to add in the future and no chipset bottlenecks.

Youd typically start a thread for yourself instead of adding on a resolved one like this. Think about it...people need to read through 13 posts to see yours.

Most boards are pwm control or hybrid.

Re: vrm.. anything is fine for air/aio, really.

fair enough. i guess since the prime is the same price the tie breaker will be more phases even if they're overkill. apparently the prime also has a better sound codec or something. i just wish it had a couple more usb connections on the back but it's still got 1 more than i need for what i have at the moment.

More doesn't mean better. But in this case, I believe its both, more and better bits. ;)

If the prime uses the S1220, its an ASUS modified Realtek ALC1220 and slightly better (assuming you have decent cans/speakers. :)

More doesn't mean better. But in this case, I believe its both, more and better bits. ;)

If the prime uses the S1220, its an ASUS modified Realtek ALC1220 and slightly better (assuming you have decent cans/speakers. :)

tbh it doesn't matter since i use optical out but since it doesn't cost anything why the heck not

I found a pretty good breakdown of z370 power sections for anyone interested in how the boards stack up against each other as far as voltage delivery and stability. it's not official or anything but here it is.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

I'm sort of flip flopping on mobos and considering the maximus hero since it's on sale for $230 and i like the idea of having something ridiculously over built.

Last edited:
This is a better chart for the Z370 VRMs. LINK: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-1151-mainboard-vrm-liste-1175784.html#z370 I would not go with Asus tuf z370 pro gaming. I have Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming that has about the same VRM and it is awful for overclocking on air compared to my Z370 HD3 with the same processor. I can not run Prime95 v29.4 completely stable all the time with Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming and it runs 4c higher in temperature. I would go with ASRock extreme 4.

Back