• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is a better chart for the Z370 VRMs. LINK: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-1151-mainboard-vrm-liste-1175784.html#z370 I would not go with Asus tuf z370 pro gaming. I have Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming that has about the same VRM and it is awful for overclocking on air compared to my Z370 HD3 with the same processor. I can not run Prime95 v29.4 completely stable all the time with Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming and it runs 4c higher in temperature. I would go with ASRock extreme 4.

does asrock do pwm fan control? i don't want to hear the computer at idle.

gotcha. im a bit paranoid about it since asus fanxpert definitely works and i've been using it a long time. asrock doesn't really seem to advertise it as a feature but i did find "smart fan speed control" in the specs. not sure if it's tweakable or not but i need to be able to set it just right. that asrock extreme 4 is cheap right now though. $144 on sale at the egg.

gotcha. im a bit paranoid about it since asus fanxpert definitely works and i've been using it a long time. asrock doesn't really seem to advertise it as a feature but i did find "smart fan speed control" in the specs. not sure if it's tweakable or not but i need to be able to set it just right. that asrock extreme 4 is cheap right now though. $144 on sale at the egg.

I tried 3 motherboards with my coffee lake. If I was not so tired of switching motherboards I would purchase the ASRock extreme 4 on sale at newegg.:) You could take a look at the Z370 extreme 4 manual and see if it has what you wan't for fan control, I'm sure it does.

i watched a youtube review and the extreme4 is a beautiful piece of tech. definitely on the list. thanks.

i watched a youtube review and the extreme4 is a beautiful piece of tech. definitely on the list. thanks.
Do you have a link to the video?

I have been testing and using this ASUS board for 2 weeks with infrequent stability problems. I just tested with Realbench at default BIOS settings and it crashed at startup twice then the third try I got it started it did not finish, then forth try it passed. I'm going back to Gigabyte Z370 HD3. It is interesting when I talked to ASUS owners in the past they always say that computers are not fully stable and I did not know what they were talking about until I purchased this ASUS. The real kicker in all this before I purchased the ASUS board I took a look at the BIOS updates and there was a lot of BIOS saying improved stability, so I gave tech support a call to ask if they only improve stability and is it still unstable system, he said it would be fine.:mad:

are you using the asus z370-a? if so that's unfortunate that you're having issues. here's an asrock extreme 4 video and you can find more easily by searching youtube. i've been reading up on it as well and it seems to have a lot going for it.

Last edited:
are you using the asus z370-a? if so that's unfortunate that you're having issues. here's on asrock extreme 4 video and you can find more easily by searching youtube. i've been reading up on it as well and it seems to have a lot going for it. Only $145 right now at the egg.

Asus tuf z370 pro gaming. Thanks for the link.

In all ASRocks tested by me in this year ( 9 or something in total ) there was an option to set silent, standard, max and manual mode for all fans. The same on Intel and AMD. It works pretty good.
Actually I don't remember motherboard without fan speed adjustment in last months.

Funny is that Extreme series from ASRock is actually their lower motherboard series and it competes with cheaper ASUS, GB or MSI. However ASRock Extreme is better designed than the competition in similar price. Recently I see that Extreme boards have less additional features like no WiFi, 1 LAN max, less PCIe, less M.2 etc. than Taichi or Professional/Fatal1ty but overclock about the same. There can be exceptions but that's what I see when I test various motherboards.

Last edited:
as far as i can tell the extreme 4 isn't missing anything and actually has more. the only thing compared to asus would be the lack of auto overclocking which i would never use in the first place. it has lots of usb headers, is over built, supports sli, and apparently has pwm fan control. can you possibly tell me what the lowest speed setting is for pwm fans in the typical asrock bios? i have to set my 1500rpm noctuas to the minimum 20% speed up to 35c to make the case inaudible and have it ramp up to 100% at 70c. this works perectly in fanxpert.

Do you have a link to the video?

I have been testing and using this ASUS board for 2 weeks with infrequent stability problems. I just tested with Realbench at default BIOS settings and it crashed at startup twice then the third try I got it started it did not finish, then forth try it passed. I'm going back to Gigabyte Z370 HD3. It is interesting when I talked to ASUS owners in the past they always say that computers are not fully stable and I did not know what they were talking about until I purchased this ASUS. The real kicker in all this before I purchased the ASUS board I took a look at the BIOS updates and there was a lot of BIOS saying improved stability, so I gave tech support a call to ask if they only improve stability and is it still unstable system, he said it would be fine.:mad:

i forgot to mention that i had some problems with memory stability on my last 2 asus boards. i ended up having to give up on xmp and run within intel spec with low timings. maybe asrocks time has come. i like that they put their money into things i care about and drop the things that i don't. it feels like you get more for your money.

i forgot to mention that i had some problems with memory stability on my last 2 asus boards. i ended up having to give up on xmp and run within intel spec with low timings. maybe asrocks time has come. i like that they put their money into things i care about and drop the things that i don't. it feels like you get more for your money.
What kind of stability problems did you have? Sometimes I have temporary freezing problems when I click on something. I have not tried disabling XMP I did not feel memory would be a problem only at 3200 speed.

What kind of stability problems did you have? Sometimes I have temporary freezing problems when I click on something. I have not tried disabling XMP I did not feel memory would be a problem only at 3200 speed.

i don't know for sure if it was the motherboard or a weak imc but ever since i turned off xmp and run at 2400mhz with low latency i've had no issues with the cpu at almost the same oc. i updated the bios and it helped with xmp for awhile but eventually i started getting game crashes and blue screens again. i exchanged my ram once and it made no difference.

as far as i can tell the extreme 4 isn't missing anything and actually has more. the only thing compared to asus would be the lack of auto overclocking which i would never use in the first place. it has lots of usb headers, is over built, supports sli, and apparently has pwm fan control. can you possibly tell me what the lowest speed setting is for pwm fans in the typical asrock bios? i have to set my 1500rpm noctuas to the minimum 20% speed up to 35c to make the case inaudible and have it ramp up to 100% at 70c. this works perectly in fanxpert.

On Taichi is PWM and DC mode, also manual 0-100% fan speed, depends on connector can be also other modes, new boards have higher power connector for water pump. ASRock soft works like BIOS, can adjust all in Windows. The same in BIOS and software can set custom modes like speed for each temp.

the extreme4 has been ordered. i had to jump on it since the deal was too sweet. $425 for the 8700k and mobo and i'm re using my ram. after a sell my current cpu mobo this should be a pretty thrifty upgrade. come on 5ghz!

the extreme4 has been ordered. i had to jump on it since the deal was too sweet. $425 for the 8700k and mobo and i'm re using my ram. after a sell my current cpu mobo this should be a pretty thrifty upgrade. come on 5ghz!

Sounds sweet.:) Make a thread on how you like it compared to ASUS?

Sounds sweet.:) Make a thread on how you like it compared to ASUS?

without a doubt!

stuff got here in 1 day with newegg free saver shipping. gonna do it soon just tired today. getting all the latest drivers lined up for today.

Last edited:
so far so good with the mobo. the fan control works almost exactly like asus but looks a little different and has more temp points. good enough. also props to silverstone for making a nice pwm hub so i can control everything in the case off one header. i was under the impression that newer mobos would have patched bios' for spectre and meltdown that slow down storage devices but my samsung 950 is still at full speed. maybe i got old stock? not sure if i should update the bios and lose performance for security sake.

so far so good with the mobo. the fan control works almost exactly like asus but looks a little different and has more temp points. good enough. also props to silverstone for making a nice pwm hub so i can control everything in the case off one header. i was under the impression that newer mobos would have patched bios' for spectre and meltdown that slow down storage devices but my samsung 950 is still at full speed. maybe i got old stock? not sure if i should update the bios and lose performance for security sake.

What BIOS version is it running? 1.60 is the spectre and meltdown update. How is XMP working with your memory?

looks like it's on bios 1.8 the latest. i haven't tried xmp yet. just barely got windows updates and drivers installed late last night. i'm not 100% sure about spectre patched bios effects on drive speed since i just realized they changed around crystaldiskmark and i can't make a direct comparison with any of the reviews from when the 950 pro first came out. here's what i got. it was a tiny bit faster last night before i started downloading games. ps i think ill run low latency at 2666mhz ram speed since i got ptsd from xmp issues last 2 motherboards. according to the interwebs going over 2666mhz cas 15 only gets you 1.5% more performance and i hope to get some of that back with low latency. maybe 12-13-13-28 or something close.

Capture.JPG

Back