• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm waiting for the ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 to go on sale again since my ASUS TUF Z370 Plus Gaming is sent back because it bricked with the latest BIOS up date. The ASUS TUF Z370 Plus Gaming would overclock the 3200 speed cl 14 memory stable to 3866 speed at CL 16. Hopefully the ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 will overclock my memory to 4000 speed 17-17-17-37 stable.

I have MSI Z370I which should run at 4500+ but I had no time for a month to run more tests than stability at XMP/4266. All the time something is on the way.
At least I finally put everything into my gaming/daily rig and I'm not planning to change its specs for some longer.

how often are 8700k's able to run 3600mz cas 15 trident z with zmp only? or do they often need more tweaking and voltage? i only ask because my ddr4 3000 was supposedly approved on my last x99 asus mobo but it could never really hack it and was unstable. is 3600mhz comfortable on the average z370 or does it usually take elbow grease?

how often are 8700k's able to run 3600mz cas 15 trident z with zmp only? or do they often need more tweaking and voltage? i only ask because my ddr4 3000 was supposedly approved on my last x99 asus mobo but it could never really hack it and was unstable. is 3600mhz comfortable on the average z370 or does it usually take elbow grease?

From what I have seen the ASRock Z370 will run High speed memory well with the i7 8700k.

I haven't seen any Z370 motherboard that couldn't run with memory at 3600-3733. Problems are usually starting at 3866 and higher clock.

Gigabyte usually skips BIOS tuning in cheaper boards. I bet it would run stable if they actually made good BIOS. Anyway all motherboards that I was testing could run stable ;)
Now I have other problems, can't pass 4550 on my memory ...

Gigabyte usually skips BIOS tuning in cheaper boards. I bet it would run stable if they actually made good BIOS. Anyway all motherboards that I was testing could run stable ;)

I have found that to be true since I purchased a ASUS Tuf Z370 plus gaming that would overclock the memory to 3866 16-16-16-36 stable every boot.

i think wingman is right. 3600mhz cas5 seems like the ideal ram speed. very fast but within reach and good latency. as soon as it hits $130 or less it's mine.

Prices are weird recently, 3600 CL16-16-16 from GSkill seem like the best choice, unless you find anything higher in similar price. I had some luck with 4133 CL18 Team Xtreem SE kit which cost me as much as 3600 CL16.

Cas 15 is better bind memory by G.SKILL. It is premium tested at the timings.:)

i was responding to woomack saying the cas 16 was the best choice. just curious why he thinks it's better than the cas 15 kit. i would think the 15 kit would be the way to go but maybe he knows something.

I said that because CL15 kits are already hard to get and looks like not manufactured anymore. Also both are on the same IC and at least when I saw 3600 CL15 last time in local stores then price was about 20% higher than the one of CL16.

It's like G.Skill had 3200 CL13-13-13 which disappeared just after release. They have many memory kits which have short life or many that we see in press releases but never in stores. Like we've seen in this year couple of kits at 4600, 4700, 4800, 5000 and recently 5066. How many of them are in stores ? ... literally one which is also listed on the G.Skill website and tested on 1 motherboard.

interesting. it must just be a binned version that they can't make too many of. i hope they keep making them but if not oh well. no way im paying $100 more than the normal price unless i can get a ridiculous amount for my old ram. looks like my current ram goes for $175 on the egg so maybe i could get $120 on ebay but ram prices are supposed to drop soon. i hope they still have some in stock once the price is normal.

Have you ever tried to flash let's say Gigabyte Z370 HD3 with BIOS thats available for different model, well slightly different lets say Gigabyte Z370 UD3H, or with different tier like Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP:mad: Is anything like that even possible to perform ? Better boards must have more 'optimized# BIOSs that make boards performing better ( along with better quality components on-board of course ) Have you tried to do it before? Is that action going to kill actual motherboard that's being flashed this way ? :D

Have you ever tried to flash let's say Gigabyte Z370 HD3 with BIOS thats available for different model, well slightly different lets say Gigabyte Z370 UD3H, or with different tier like Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP:mad: Is anything like that even possible to perform ? Better boards must have more 'optimized# BIOSs that make boards performing better ( along with better quality components on-board of course ) Have you tried to do it before? Is that action going to kill actual motherboard that's being flashed this way ? :D

New mobos have protection so you can't simply flash them with different BIOS ID. On some boards you can't flash older BIOS without problems. You can force flash with "DOS" soft but it still won't work in all cases. I guess you could try that if motherboard has the same PCB but additional devices won't work and sometimes can be other issues. Many new boards share the same PCB but I don't think that anyone tries flashing them with different BIOS just because most boards on the same PCB usually already OC the same and have only different additional devices, more/less LEDs and maybe some more/less connectors ( like no power/reset buttons, no COM header etc ).
In general BIOS is not changing much on new Intel boards as most of them share the same base firmware with microcode. CPU overclocking is about the same on cheaper and more expensive boards. Memory overclocking depends on PCB design and some other things so not only BIOS affects max memory speed. The best motherboards for memory OC are these with 2 memory slots because there are shorter traces and less interference on the way between RAM and CPU. BIOS still affects OC but not like better BIOS will automatically give +500MHz more. Differences between releases are more like 1-2 memory ratios.

I have found that to be true since I purchased a ASUS Tuf Z370 plus gaming that would overclock the memory to 3866 16-16-16-36 stable every boot.

thats an amazing video test.
i wish i knew it all before buying my mobo,
and as he states in this footage gigabyte z370 hd3 has horrible issues with VRM temperatures and throttling, with LLC .. well with keeping rith voltages :p omg so much moaning this night :)
well what do u think is it worth to try to attach some small radiators on MOSFETS and generally on VRM section? does it sound silly tho ? :sly:

Back