• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recommendations...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I cant hit 5Ghz without de-lidding?

Depends on the CPU the 8xxx series still use paste under the IHS where the 9XXX series has solder so you get better heat transfer and no delid necessary. They still run hot but for most 5.0 GHz is doable might need a small -2 AVX offset.

gigabytes z390 boards do look nice,.,,,,as mentioned, the msi pro carbon i am going to look at , and asus, wow...so many.....but gigabyte has me interested...i use to have gigabyte boards, seems like i allways had some issue, like ethernet connection stop working....etc..might try them again.....i like it that u can control the rgb lighting on the board....way cool..gigabyte has a step up on a lot of competetion, going with 12 phase vrm , on many boards..that might sway me to get a gigabyte board.

Last edited:
Im about to press the buy button on some new goodies and I kinda want to see what ppl say in this thread. Im choosing an MSI board. I have heard good things about them and I understand the MSI boards are good overclockers. I have been a big fan of Asus boards as well. But like trents said, what are you going use it for ? You may find a very price friendly board with all the toys 'you' need and it does the job without busting the wallet. Why spend a boat load of cash for stuff you wont use? Im looking to get a good OC on my system when finished. Im not going Xtreme cooling or anything like that so I dont need subzero features on my board. However, since it is air cooled I did pay attention to how many fan headers it has on it. I want a good OC too so i made sure to check the power circuit etc...
As far as boards to avoid I would avoid anything not made by a reputable company. Asus, Asrock, MSI, Abit, Gigabyte to name a few(These ARE reputable companies). Find the board the fits your needs and have at it. And keep us posted on the new build. :)

Z

EDIT: Button has been pressed as per siggy :D Coming from a 2600K to this is just jaw dropping. You Will enjoy the upgrade.
How do like that Tomahawk? IAnything you miss or would do different? I was leaning towards a new or refurbed Pro carbon.

The Tomahawk for being a board with less than stellar power delivery this thing is great. It lets me OC my 9900KF easily to 5Ghz on ALL cores stable. I'm thermal locked atm as my NH-15 just cant quite keep the chip cool if i go to 5.1gHz. It has the very fine granularity one would want in an OC board and yet a newbie can still get a decent OC without too much effort. The only thing this doesnt seem to have is Bluetooth. Im not really fussed over it but my old Asus board has it. The install was easy no weird hangs up or odd ball screws that hide and/or are hard to get at. Initial set up was straight forward and Win10 installed with no issues. The board powered up the first time with no issue as well. The really nice thing about this board (and others like it) is no need for a IO plate. So far after running this set a while Im very happy with it. And it goes without saying this thing is screaming fast too. I hope this helps a bit and good luck on your purchase. Let us know how the build goes etc. If you have any more question do feel frree to ask :)

Z

The Tomahawk for being a board with less than stellar power delivery this thing is great. It lets me OC my 9900KF easily to 5Ghz on ALL cores stable. I'm thermal locked atm as my NH-15 just cant quite keep the chip cool if i go to 5.1gHz. It has the very fine granularity one would want in an OC board and yet a newbie can still get a decent OC without too much effort. The only thing this doesnt seem to have is Bluetooth. Im not really fussed over it but my old Asus board has it. The install was easy no weird hangs up or odd ball screws that hide and/or are hard to get at. Initial set up was straight forward and Win10 installed with no issues. The board powered up the first time with no issue as well. The really nice thing about this board (and others like it) is no need for a IO plate. So far after running this set a while Im very happy with it. And it goes without saying this thing is screaming fast too. I hope this helps a bit and good luck on your purchase. Let us know how the build goes etc. If you have any more question do feel frree to ask :)

Z
Just to add to this thread, I ended up also going with the GB Auros Pro (Not Wifi)@$159....It came down to the lower price over the MSI Carbon. Took a week to decide , was hoping the price would come down some for black Friday. EDIT: My bad it is the WIFI...

I think I'll be giving it to my Daughter and SIL for Xmas, I'm not sure...They would be just as happy with the old Win 7 rig in my sig.

This thread was helpful in my decision...There really did not seem to be any bad choices....

Last edited:
Back