• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving onto amd, mobo confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hellrazer

Registered
Hi!

please dont flame me much for asking stupid questions but... i've been thinkin of going back to amd gaming wise and i've been probing around for stuff and i found that the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition seems to be fairly powerful and reasonably priced in my neck of the woods.

what i do not know is the mobo, last time i had an amd was back in 2003 and then i had umm... 2,4ghz amd athalon thoroughbred and an asus a7n8x nforce 2 or something mobo. i gotta tell you this was most horrible mobo i've ever run into and i've been avoiding nvidia chipsets ever since.

now i have no idea about amd based mobos and their chipset markings like 890fx, 790gx etc etc

i was hoping someone could maybe shed some light to the matter, my to be rig could like so.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
amd mobo pref about 150euros tops
6gb ddr3 probably 1333mhz

thats all i need for my new mid range gaming rig, sorry if the post is confusing thats because roll with adhd so... *cough* anyhoo thanks for all the answers if anyone even answers this :)

thank you

Get a good quality 790 GX or FX board. If you want a really good board then the Biostar TA890FXE is what your looking for. Don't know how much it costs in Europe.

The FX chipsets are, hands down, the best whether it's a 790FX or the newer 890FX doesn't matter for OC'ing. Gigabyte and ASUS both make excellent FX boards as does Biostar.

If you could link a couple of sites you would be likely to use (that have a good selection of boards) it would be easier to make suggestions. Pricing and availability vary a lot across the pond ...

The FX chipsets are, hands down, the best whether it's a 790FX or the newer 890FX doesn't matter for OC'ing. Gigabyte and ASUS both make excellent FX boards as does Biostar.

If you could link a couple of sites you would be likely to use (that have a good selection of boards) it would be easier to make suggestions. Pricing and availability vary a lot across the pond ...

well the sites are in finnish but i can provide you a link to list mobos for AM3 without translation, all tho you'll be seeing euro prices, but on that i'd say def 150 euros is my treshhold

site 1) http://jimmspc-store.fi/listaa/431

site 2) http://preview.tinyurl.com/am3boards

i had to shorten that 2nd url as it was huge
thank you for helping me on this for i have no idea about these boards :)

i found the biostar! -> http://www.comeuro.net/webshop/product.php?productid=89572&cat=0&page=1152
2nd link another firm, they accept paypal as payment http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?language=en&info=p312916&refID=GH
*jumps for joy*

:)

Last edited:
The BIOSTAR will treat you well. By the way, your looking at either 4gb or 8gb for an AMD system. They are still running dual channel memory, so 6gb would be awkward, you would need a set of 2x1gb and a set of 2x2gb...I don't think this will run as good as 2x2gb kit or 4x2gb kit. :D

The BIOSTAR will treat you well. By the way, your looking at either 4gb or 8gb for an AMD system. They are still running dual channel memory, so 6gb would be awkward, you would need a set of 2x1gb and a set of 2x2gb...I don't think this will run as good as 2x2gb kit or 4x2gb kit. :D

yup at the moment im looking at something like this

4GB (2x2GB) Dominator Dual Channel, DDR3, 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 163 eur
Phenom II X4 965BE, AM2+/AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB, BOX, 125W 190 eur
Biostar TA890FX 121 eur

other components would be my antec cp850 @ 850W, xfx gtx260 216 sp 898mb and antec p183

afterwards add another 4GB ram set i already would get, i think this would be a decent enough for me, atleast for awhile :)

yup at the moment im looking at something like this

4GB (2x2GB) Dominator Dual Channel, DDR3, 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 163 eur
Phenom II X4 965BE, AM2+/AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB, BOX, 125W 190 eur
Biostar TA890FX 121 eur

other components would be my antec cp850 @ 850W, xfx gtx260 216 sp 898mb and antec p183

afterwards add another 4GB ram set i already would get, i think this would be a decent enough for me, atleast for awhile :)

Agreed...8bg is way overkill...I never use half my RAM, I just got a pretty decent deal on it. Spend some money on a good cooler if you plan to overclock...need to be able to keep Phenom IIs under 55c at load if you want a decent overclock.

Here are some other boards you might look at, though the Biostar is also a good choice. I've listed most expensive first and used the PayPal site you seemed to prefer:

http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p46411&refID=ffs
http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p303511&refID=ffs
http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p246062&refID=ffs
http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p4245&refID=ffs

I'm not sure you'll be happy with that 92mm CPU cooler. If your case is too small to fit a bigger cooler then you're stuck with it but I'd suggest a 120mm cooler if you have the room. Thermalright makes an excellent cooler, the Ultra Extreme (aka TRUE), which is a 120mm air heatsink. It is a little pricy and doesn't even include fans but it's the best there is. ((There are some good, less expensive options over here but I can't find them at the sites you've given me. :()) If you're dead set on Noctua the NH-D14 is an excellent cooler as well.

TRUE
Scythe fans (to keep the TRUE quiet with good cooling)

#2 on your list was in my shopping cart more than once, always been impressed with Gigabyte motherboards.

Here are some other boards you might look at, though the Biostar is also a good choice. I've listed most expensive first and used the PayPal site you seemed to prefer:

oh thanks alot you're doing more than you should over my measly problem, this i really really appreciated :)

I'm not sure you'll be happy with that 92mm CPU cooler. If your case is too small to fit a bigger cooler then you're stuck with it but I'd suggest a 120mm cooler if you have the room. Thermalright makes an excellent cooler, the Ultra Extreme (aka TRUE), which is a 120mm air heatsink. It is a little pricy and doesn't even include fans but it's the best there is. ((There are some good, less expensive options over here but I can't find them at the sites you've given me. :()) If you're dead set on Noctua the NH-D14 is an excellent cooler as well.

well im not kinda dead set on the Noctua, one key point here is that last before this rig was amd athlon with stock cooler, and the current is with stock too.

umm my case is the Antec P183 it's huge :)

oh and i did find the ultra extreme from my shops, the ones i listed before a.k.a jimmspc-store, alltho it's a finnish site and finnish is a bit diabolical language, but alas heres their selection AM3 Coolers and i'd rather order there since i'll be ordering everything else but the mobo from there, if i take the Biostar that is.

thank you sooo much for your replies and patience with me :)

oh thanks alot you're doing more than you should over my measly problem, this i really really appreciated :)

well im not kinda dead set on the Noctua, one key point here is that last before this rig was amd athlon with stock cooler, and the current is with stock too.

umm my case is the Antec P183 it's huge :)

oh and i did find the ultra extreme from my shops, the ones i listed before a.k.a jimmspc-store, alltho it's a finnish site and finnish is a bit diabolical language, but alas heres their selection AM3 Coolers and i'd rather order there since i'll be ordering everything else but the mobo from there, if i take the Biostar that is.

thank you sooo much for your replies and patience with me :)

I think Noctua makes a legit 120mm model don't they?

I think Noctua makes a legit 120mm model don't they?

Well actually the cooler i was thinking Noctua NH-D14 comes with 2 coolers on the heatsink or what you call the big metal blob, one being NF-P12 which is 120mm and other one is NF-P14 which is 140mm cooler, the other one is situated at the side of the tower and the other one is inside in the middle, reason why i got interested in it :)

darn it, just noticed i listed the wrong cpu cooler somewhere above :( i meant the NH-D14 not the NH-U9B SE2 really really sorry about this

Last edited:
Well actually the cooler i was thinking Noctua NH-D14 comes with 2 coolers on the heatsink or what you call the big metal blob, one being NF-P12 which is 120mm and other one is NF-P14 which is 140mm cooler, the other one is situated at the side of the tower and the other one is inside in the middle, reason why i got interested in it :)

darn it, just noticed i listed the wrong cpu cooler somewhere above :( i meant the NH-D14 not the NH-U9B SE2 really really sorry about this

Lol, no worries, I screw up daily! Ha ha! The D14...I heard good things about that "blob"

Would i "shoot" myself in the leg with this?

Asus M4A785TD-V-EVO

Phenom II X4 955BE Rev. C3

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Dominator Dual Channel, DDR3, 1600MHz (PC3-12800)

that set would cost me 419euros + shipping which is about 15 euros or so totalling at 434 euros which is 522 usd

Short and sweet - yes, you would shoot yourself in the leg. ASUS mid-range boards have not been overclocking very good recently. You'd be better off spending less on the cooler and more on the board. Best to get a 790X, 790FX, or 890FX board if you can.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a good cooler at a much better price but if you can afford the NH-D14 go for it - it's one of the best! :)

Short and sweet - yes, you would shoot yourself in the leg. ASUS mid-range boards have not been overclocking very good recently. You'd be better off spending less on the cooler and more on the board. Best to get a 790X, 790FX, or 890FX board if you can.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a good cooler at a much better price but if you can afford the NH-D14 go for it - it's one of the best! :)

yea i was trying to be a cheapskate *cough* :screwy: but yea prolly gonna get the Biostar TA890FXE and the Noctua or i'll setup the intel setup i've looked up, but i dont think this is the right place to list the intel setup :)

or i'll just buy the both just for the fun of it and OC them both to oblivion :clap:

sorry i went off topic on this but i didnt know should i make yet another thread on the intel mobo's side, i fear of making too many threads here as a newb :S

Last edited:
yea i was trying to be a cheapskate *cough* :screwy: but yea prolly gonna get the Biostar TA890FXE and the Noctua or i'll setup the intel setup i've looked up, but i dont think this is the right place to list the intel setup :)

or i'll just buy the both just for the fun of it and OC them both to oblivion :clap:

sorry i went off topic on this but i didnt know should i make yet another thread on the intel mobo's side, i fear of making too many threads here as a newb :S

Well, if your Intel discussion is a comparison to what we have been discussing here...I think it's relevant. It's your thread...I don't think anyone will get too upset if you de-rail it, lol.

Well, if your Intel discussion is a comparison to what we have been discussing here...I think it's relevant. It's your thread...I don't think anyone will get too upset if you de-rail it, lol.

well i'd still not want to get slapped by moderatos since this an amd mobo section and my to become rig's gonna be intel :) but this is the current configuration ->
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648172

sorry to "resurrect" this thread, but i didnt want to make another thread among others :) still on pondering which way to go, basically i hear amd vs intel match is pretty even now days... but as i've used intel since 2003 im little doubtfull to go with amd, and yet i would like to see... so i have 2 possible part lists, one amd and one intel.

suggestions please :)

AMD:

Biostar TA890FXE, AM3, 890FX, DDR3, SATA3, ATX

Phenom II X4 955BE Rev. C3, AM2+/AM3, 3.2GHz, 8MB, BOX (gonna install Noctua DF-14 cpu cooler)

4GB Dual Kit Ripjaws DDR3-1333 F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH 7-7-7-21

Price: 435 euros + shipping

INTEL:

Asus P7P55D, LGA1156, P55, DDR3, Crossfire X, ATX

Intel Core i5 750, 2.66GHz, LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed (gonna install Noctua DF-14 cpu cooler)

4GB (2x2GB) Dual kit ECO, DDR3 1333, F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO, 7-7-7-21, 1.35V

Price: 470 euros + shipping

Rest of the comp parts i have, which are.

Antec P183 case

Antec CP-850 psu @ 850W

Xfx gtx 260 216 cp 898mb

now the comp will by mainly used for gaming, any game and all games i find interesting and my max price for those 3 parts is 500 euros.. now what i am looking from those is longevity, atleast pref. 3 years to play what i want, now i dont play all setting max'd out.. if i can, hey why not i'll have a blast :) but lower graph does not bother me. so the rig pref last another 3 years and price under 500 euros max.

I'd like to see input to these choices i have at my disposal... oh and im not buying the parts at this minute or week, might take 3-5 months before i can acquire them. thank you for your patience in reading this... please dont skip any part thank you!

Back