• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving onto amd, mobo confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No X6's in Europe ...?

well there are but im not sure about the difference between the one i choce and the few above it, and i'd like to stay below 500 euros for the cpu, mobo, ram package :)

well whaddya know, i did a re-check and with the Phenom II X6 1055T, AM3, 2.8GHz my total is 470 + shipping

whats the diff between 955be and 1055t? huge i'd imagine ^^

Last edited:
well there are but im not sure about the difference between the one i choce and the few above it, and i'd like to stay below 500 euros for the cpu, mobo, ram package :)

well whaddya know, i did a re-check and with the Phenom II X6 1055T, AM3, 2.8GHz my total is 470 + shipping

whats the diff between 955be and 1055t? huge i'd imagine ^^
That depends on what applications you're running. If it's anything that will use all six cores that's a 50% increase right there. If you're running apps that can only use two cores then all your choices are probably overkill. ;)

1090T 296.00 €
http://jimmspc-store.fi/tuote/HDT90ZFBGRBOX

1055T 205.00 €
http://jimmspc-store.fi/tuote/HDT55TFBGRBOX

Thank goodness, the components are semi still understandable
Prosessorit
:shock: That's what we're paying over here in USD ...! :shock:

That depends on what applications you're running. If it's anything that will use all six cores that's a 50% increase right there. If you're running apps that can only use two cores then all your choices are probably overkill. ;)

:shock: That's what we're paying over here in USD ...! :shock:

Yeah. Im USD. I live in Missouri. I was just helping him find the X6 processors from all the stores he linked that lets him use paypal while answering your question at the same time :)

Yeah. Im USD. I live in Missouri. I was just helping him find the X6 processors from all the stores he linked that lets him use paypal while answering your question at the same time :)

oh thank you, i managed to get that jimmspc-store to order that Biostar TA890FXE, they didnt have it, i asked it from their support mail and now they have it :clap: so need to order it from abroad using paypal, i can get all the parts from that one store. :)

Well mainly just playing and "normal" end-user stuff, no audio processing or graphic designs or video encoding. just playing, watching movies etc... hence thats why i thought about the 955BE instead of the 965BE cause the price diff is 20 euros and thats quite alot, because what i've read and how i understand it. the diff. between the 2 cpu's is negible (if im spelling that right *sigh* sorry about the grammar) so at first thought i figured an 4 core cpu would fit me... just dont know do i go amd or intel, is it just do i prefer vanilla icecream over double chocolate fudge icecream.

one thing still puzzles me is the intel package, friend said that with the i5 750 i'd be using low volt ram ie. the 1.35 g.skill eco i've chocen, cause if the ram volt is too high it might burn the cpu, but if this is the case... hows the situation with amd?

thanks alot for your answers so far guys, really appreciate it :)

one thing still puzzles me is the intel package, friend said that with the i5 750 i'd be using low volt ram ie. the 1.35 g.skill eco i've chocen, cause if the ram volt is too high it might burn the cpu, but if this is the case... hows the situation with amd?

I've not heard of RAM volts (anything reasonable) burning up a CPU, not even sure how that could happen in any situation short of the motherboard catastrophically giving out and taking down the CPU with it. As far as RAM volts go, you give the RAM what it needs to go. I can run all 8gb of mine at 1333 & 1600 with 1.35v...if I tighten up the timings a lot I have to bump it up to it's recommended 1.6v. I think the eco RAM stuff is just good RAM that can run at pretty low voltage. Just make sure your motherboard has all the voltage settings up and down for the RAM and you should be fine either way.

To be honest, I think it's a marketing ploy. I'd almost bet the eco RAM is the same as the performance stuff, just set with lower timings and therefore can get by with lower voltage. Like running your RAM at 1.3 vs. 1.6 is really gonna save a tree, lol.

Oh, and I hear ya about the 6 core CPU...I was thinking about upgrading my 965BE to a 1090t, but hnestly, it would just be for the sake of upgrading...nothing I normally do on my computer ever really uses all the cores on my quad to their full potential. If I had the extra money I'd do it, or if I was after a maximum overclock cause the 1055ts and the 1090ts seem to overclock a lot better.

Well mainly just playing and "normal" end-user stuff, no audio processing or graphic designs or video encoding. just playing, watching movies etc... hence thats why i thought about the 955BE instead of the 965BE cause the price diff is 20 euros and thats quite alot, because what i've read and how i understand it. the diff. between the 2 cpu's is negible (if im spelling that right *sigh* sorry about the grammar) so at first thought i figured an 4 core cpu would fit me... just dont know do i go amd or intel, is it just do i prefer vanilla icecream over double chocolate fudge icecream.

Some games (GTA IV, IIRC) use all the cores you can throw at them, which is why I asked. But if going with the X6 seems excessive I'd wonder why you would bother spending the extra for an i5?? :shrug:

When it comes to system specifics, AMD and Intel are very different. RAM does very well at the standard 1.5v and I've seen guys with it cranked up to 1.75v without a problem (for the CPU). Must be some quirk of Intel because I've never known RAM voltage to burn out a CPU. Maybe it's because AMD vCore runs higher (though the power consumption isn't higher). If anything AMDs prefer at least 1.50 vDIMM and some boards won't let you run less than that ...

Last edited:
Some games (GTA IV, IIRC) use all the cores you can throw at them, which is why I asked. But if going with the X6 seems excessive I'd wonder why you would bother spending the extra for an i5?? :shrug:

ah that i didnt know... well atleast either one of the packages is an upgrade to my c2d e6750, 4gb ddr2 1066, 2gb ddr2 800mhz (i know dont point out the ram, i know i have 2 diff speed rams rammed together there) and the p5k-se will be replaced with either of the parts i've gathered into this thread.

but seems i still miss info but, to me my wallet weighs high here so i guess it's either 955BE or 965BE, dont remember if i asked whats their difference already.. if i did, i do apologize, adhd and getting old dont fit together :)

When it comes to system specifics, AMD and Intel are very different. RAM does very well at the standard 1.5v and I've seen guys with it cranked up to 1.75v without a problem (for the CPU). Must be some quirk of Intel because I've never known RAM voltage to burn out a CPU. Maybe it's because AMD vCore runs higher (though the power consumption isn't higher). If anything AMDs prefer at least 1.50 vDIMM and some boards won't let you run less than that ...

aye i have not heard of this either, just passing what i absorbed from a secondhand source or hearsay you might say, hence i wanted to ask that too in the thread to get some perspective on the matter....

oh and i can infact order every part from jimmspc-store which is a relief, so... if it's the biostar mobo, 955be and 4gb ripjaw it's 435 euros, with the 965be it's 455 euros... diff. aint that big, but still curious as to what makes the differ from each other.

oh and i seem to remember hearing that amd phenom II's run alot cooler than i5/i7 on stock?

thanks alot guys!

955 BE = 3.2ghz

965 BE = 3.4ghz

They both have unlocked multipliers, so five seconds in the BIOS and the 955=965. The 965 might be able to clock a bit higher as it's been branded a faster CPU, but you never know, you might get a golden 955 that will hit 4ghz too.

It's a toss up really. The Phenoms do run a bit colder than the i7s...not real sure about the i5s. That too is a wash though with the Phenom IIs as their ideal operating temperature is also cooler. Your going to be fighting heat either way.

955 BE = 3.2ghz

965 BE = 3.4ghz

They both have unlocked multipliers, so five seconds in the BIOS and the 955=965. The 965 might be able to clock a bit higher as it's been branded a faster CPU, but you never know, you might get a golden 955 that will hit 4ghz too.

It's a toss up really. The Phenoms do run a bit colder than the i7s...not real sure about the i5s. That too is a wash though with the Phenom IIs as their ideal operating temperature is also cooler. Your going to be fighting heat either way.

ah, well i am planning to change the stock cooler to Noctua NH-D14 if it fits into my case, which it should easily... while im not sure if i wanna even OC the system... i just wanna be able to OC it if i need more power :) so another 20 euro save for me where every euro counts.

With the Black Edition 955 you could probably just up the multi a couple of notches and be at 3.6. Probably wouldn't even have to raise the Vcore. It's that easy.

With the Black Edition 955 you could probably just up the multi a couple of notches and be at 3.6. Probably wouldn't even have to raise the Vcore. It's that easy.

aye i want to have the possibility to OC if i need more power for any reason... still theres few things that actually worry me.

1) the cooler mounting on the am3 socket seems like 2 or 3 part job
and in my eyes doesnt look all that good.

2) the cooler i was considering is the Noctua NH-D14 and i watched a review on it again
and i noticed that it might block some of the rams on the mobo and it's damn heavy.. the cpu, mobo, rams, case is the following

955be/965be with the Biostar TA890FXE
with G.Skill 2x2gb dual kit eco, 1333mhz CL7 1.35v
Antec p183 with CP-850 @ 850W

question is, can i even use the cpu cooler with this? is there as sufficient cooler like the noctua for me that would not be so huge and still do the job.

reason im getting back into this is that i actually got my lazy *** to watch a mountin review on the cooler and the procedure got me worried a bit.

so suggestions please on the setup, any ideas please share..

point of the parts is to enable me to play anygame (for the pc) for the next atleast 3yrs if possible,
maybe 5 with OC and i am considering getting an gtx 460 to replace my gtx 260.

please advice me as alltho i am experienced in software.. hardware kinda escapes me at the timebeing,
all tho i am trying to study hard to bring myself upto speed with the current state of computer hardware :)

please forgive me the extensive post and the grammar errors that might occur for im not an native english writer/speaker..
if you feel that this post went over you like a jetfighter at mach 2, ask and i shall respond :)

thank you

Almost all of those vertical coolers will allow RAM to fit under them if it's not high profile RAM, which yours isn't. I can't comment on the NH-D14 specifically but it would be odd if it were designed differently. I know for a fact the TRUE will allow normal RAM to fit under it ...

http://shop.e-bug.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p292339&refID=ffs
http://jimmspc-store.fi/tuote/ULTRA-120-TRUE-REV-C

ah thank you for responding, you pretty much confirmed what i suspected :)

also i'd like to offer my special thanks for the kind thought of posting suggestion cooler links straigth to the shops i would be using. really you went all out in here and kudos for you sir.

really appreciate the info, helps me a bit further.

i made another thread (i am sorry for making so many threads) to improving my cooling in a p183 for the upcoming system and i made it because i still want to keep my posts pref. in the specified area of the posts topic :)

the only difference between the 955 and 965 is that the 955 is 3.2 Ghz and the 965 is 3.4 Ghz. The only other thing this effects is that the stock voltage of the 955 is a little bit lower. If you are gonna overclock them then it doesn't matter and you may as well get the cheaper one. It will literally take 10 seconds to get a 955 up to 965 speeds. (excluding stability testing). And yes, Phenoms run cooler than i5/i7, but i5/i7 are designed to handle higher temperatures so you can't really compare them. Except as to how fast they will heat up your room :D

the only difference between the 955 and 965 is that the 955 is 3.2 Ghz and the 965 is 3.4 Ghz. The only other thing this effects is that the stock voltage of the 955 is a little bit lower. If you are gonna overclock them then it doesn't matter and you may as well get the cheaper one. It will literally take 10 seconds to get a 955 up to 965 speeds. (excluding stability testing). And yes, Phenoms run cooler than i5/i7, but i5/i7 are designed to handle higher temperatures so you can't really compare them. Except as to how fast they will heat up your room :D

Oh thank you... damn i will go amd then (hopefully the intel "fanboys" within my friends dont frag me :p) and get the biostar mobo etc etc, hopefully my current case is enough, i have a thread about it on the cooling forums :)

thanks alot for responding me :)

the only difference between the 955 and 965 is that the 955 is 3.2 Ghz and the 965 is 3.4 Ghz. The only other thing this effects is that the stock voltage of the 955 is a little bit lower.
Depending on which model it is that's not necessarily true. From AMD's processor page:

HDZ955FBGIBOX (C2) 0.875-1.5V

HDZ955FBGMBOX (C3) 0.825-1.425V
HDZ965FBGIBOX (C2) 0.850-1.425V

HDX955FBGMBOX (C3) 0.850-1.40V
HDZ965FBGMBOX (C3) 0.825-1.40V

I don't know what the deal is with the X955 instead of Z955 - that's a new one on me. Maybe something sold in Europe or Asia ...? :shrug:

Last edited:
Depending on which model it is that's not necessarily true. From AMD's processor page:

HDZ955FBGIBOX (C2) 0.875-1.5V

HDZ955FBGMBOX (C3) 0.825-1.425V
HDZ965FBGIBOX (C2) 0.850-1.425V

HDX955FBGMBOX (C3) 0.850-1.40V
HDZ965FBGMBOX (C3) 0.825-1.40V

I don't know what the deal is with the X955 instead of Z955 - that's a new one on me. Maybe something sold in Europe or Asia ...? :shrug:

ach my 955BE is HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955BE Rev. C3, AM2+/AM3, 3.2GHz, 8MB, BOX 170 euros

and the 2nd one HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965BE, AM2+/AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB 190 euros

those are my choices so far :)

with the fact that i find something like the noctuas nh-14d attachment pretty odd looking and tiresome, i'll probably go with the stock cooler for awhile.

not to mention the noctua's "thing" weighs 1204grams oO i fear it might rip the mobo apart

Back