• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving to a SSD how to transfer windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

I'm buying an ASUS G55WV laptop and i'm going to buy it with a hard drive in it, and I was wondering what my best bet was for getting windows onto the new SSD i'm buying to replace the hard drive. Should I just make a recovery disk then re-install windows onto the SSD? Thanks

Yes, definitely reinstall Windows after putting the SSD in.

Someone else chime in here, but shouldn't the laptop come with the Windows disc?

I would talk to Asus support for the proper procedure. Many of the pre-built reinstall media for laptops are designed for a certain hdd size in mind, and if you go to an SSD (usually much smaller), then it can give issues.

Can't he just create a syste, iage with windows tools and restore? rerun WEI and it will turn off defrag etc

Can't he just create a syste, iage with windows tools and restore? rerun WEI and it will turn off defrag etc

It would be possible in theory, but he may run into a driver issue.

Definitely worth a shot though.

I would talk to Asus support for the proper procedure. Many of the pre-built reinstall media for laptops are designed for a certain hdd size in mind, and if you go to an SSD (usually much smaller), then it can give issues.

I would be getting a 240GB SSD idk if that matters.

Yes, definitely reinstall Windows after putting the SSD in.

Someone else chime in here, but shouldn't the laptop come with the Windows disc?

I don't believe it comes with the windows disk, i'm asking newegg right now but who knows if their live chat will know :p

EDIT: their response was they don't offer sales support at this time

This is what I would do....have done.

Copy ALL data from the laptop over to external storage. All that remains is OS and program files. Swap SSD and HDD. Reload Win 7. Install drivers from manufacturer's website. Update drivers. Run WEI. Install programs. Forget "recovery" disk with all of it's bloatware and garbage.

Finally copy data from external storage back onto laptop. After doing this you'll end up with a nice fresh install with only those programs that you loaded.

This is what I would do....have done.

Copy ALL data from the laptop over to external storage. All that remains is OS and program files. Swap SSD and HDD. Reload Win 7. Install drivers from manufacturer's website. Update drivers. Run WEI. Install programs. Forget "recovery" disk with all of it's bloatware and garbage.

Finally copy data from external storage back onto laptop. After doing this you'll end up with a nice fresh install with only those programs that you loaded.

This is exactly what we do at work. Except we have them back up their data, so we're not liable for lost stuff :bday:

I agree with Cigarsmoker
copy Document,Pictures,music,downloads folder,Favorites,recent places (if you use that) and if your an outlook user C:\Users\SilentBob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and look for .pst file
Fresh install of Win7 ACHI (bios setting) to enable trim
put it all back
good to go

All this is for windows 7
XP has little difference in location of .pst file

So.... what's wrong with using standard imaging software to simply take out the old SSD and clone his existing OS partition onto the new SSD?

So.... what's wrong with using standard imaging software to simply take out the old SSD and clone his existing OS partition onto the new SSD?

Drivers, Windows settings, its a mess. I had to clear my BIOS even after a clean Windows install, its crazy how sensitive they are.

Wait, are we talking about simply replacing the SSD, in which case simply image the contents from one SSD to another.

Or are you asking about moving Windows from one motherboard chipset to another motherboard chipset, in which case, this can only work fully if the chipsets are the same or similar. Otherwise, if the chipsets are completely different, go with new Windows install whenever possible.

Wait, are we talking about simply replacing the SSD, in which case simply image the contents from one SSD to another.

Or are you asking about moving Windows from one motherboard chipset to another motherboard chipset, in which case, this can only work fully if the chipsets are the same or similar. Otherwise, if the chipsets are completely different, go with new Windows install whenever possible.

I would be taking windows from a hard drive in a laptop to a SSD in the same laptop

It's always good to have an image of the (preferably small) OS partition.

You can then restore things back to when they were set up just like you like them to be. And you can switch hard drives easily.

Do research on which drive imaging software is best but make sure you use a recent version compatible with newer chipsets and hard drives if that is what you are using it for.

He is talking about moving from a HDD to an SSD that is more than half the HDD's size. The restore environment that is built into the image for his laptop will freak out whenever it sees a smaller capacity drive than what it was programmed for.

Definitely make an image of the OS as it is.

But you can't put an HDD image on an SSD and have it run right. I've tried.
It may boot, but it will never run the speeds it is supposed to. You'll be lucky to get half its speed.

The BIOS also has to be set to AHCI (if it isn't already), and in my case, I had to clear my CMOS. Even after changing settings and reinstalling a clean copy of Windows.

Back