• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving to a SSD how to transfer windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well this is interesting.

I switched from OCZ Agility 60GB SSD to OCZ Agility 180GB SSD and did this.

I connected empty 180GB SSD and booted with my old 60GB SSD. Partitioned the new SSD and ran a test on an empty partition. I then imaged the new SSD with exact same image, disconnected old drive and here's what happened, same results more or less.

Attachments

• b drive.png
    b drive.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 43
  • newc.png
    newc.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
More than 3 times better results with Agility 3 180GB SSD ↑ vs. old Agility 1 60GB SSD ↓ on exact same image:

Attachments

• FromXP.png
    FromXP.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 43
That's why it looks like SATA II speeds lol. Grats on the upgrade though!

Right, but the point is that new SSD is more than 3 times faster than old SSD.

And not bad considering that the Windows 7 image of C drive was originally made on an mechanical drive.

I formatted and partitioned the new SSD under Windows 7 or Vista - not Windows XP or earlier.

Then simply used existing old images and booted from USB Drive to image.

In case of Boot problems on multi boot installations, connect the new drive to another computer and use EasyBCD

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

EasyBCD > File > Select BCD Store >

1. First Browse to the ROOT directory of the newly cloned drive
2. Then type BOOT\BCD > Open

This will open the *.bcd file inside the hidden BOOT folder on another drive and inside its BCD subfolder.

Edit Boot Menu > Delete existing entries

Add New Entry > SELECT: Windows Vista/7 then SELECT its current drive letter on the existing system being used right now > Add Entry

and/or for Windows XP:

Add New Entry > SELECT: Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 > Add Entry

[Confirm they are there by going to the Edit Boot Menu.]

That's why your graph is so much smoother.
Smart way to do it though.

Right. Old SSD officially had a big difference b/w reads and writes. Plus official specs vs actual performance on old Generation 1 SSD :

* Read: Up to 230 MB/s [I was getting 220 MB/s on Fresh Win7 install & 180 MB/s on non fresh Windows transferred from Mechanical Drive]

* Write: Up to 135 MB/s [I was getting 120 MB/s on Fresh Win7 install & 100 MB/s on non fresh Windows transferred from Mechanical Drive]

However

New SSD was officially
* Read: Up to 280 MB/s and I was getting 264 MB/s
* Write: Up to 260 MB/s and I was getting 257 MB/s

And on new Generation 3 SSD there was no difference to speak of b/w fresh Windows 7 install and old mechanical drive images. On old Generation 1 SSD there was. :shrug:

Of course that's all SATA II ; SATA III would have been 500 to 525 MBs...

Giving your north bridge a slight OC will bump those numbers to the official specs :)

Edit: At least, it helped mine.

:) Right. Still, for every day use, it's impressive how things are instantenous on i7 @ 4+ GHz combined with Generation 3 SSD.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti PNY XLR8 1GB GDDR5 822MHz Core Clock
ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5450 [used for HDMI HD sound only]
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Oh, most definitely. I didn't notice the difference, except in a benchmark :p

Back