• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving to X99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

Now that Haswell-E is out, it's time to start the thread about my system overhaul.

Info are still a bit scarce but I think there will be a lot in the next few days and you can probably understand better than me.

I would like to make the move in the next couple of weeks since after I'll have less time and I want to use the moar power ASAP. However, this should be a long-term (till 2017-2018) upgrade.

So, my current build (see sig) is practically used only for gaming/entertainment, but I would like to start to use it as main number crunching machine besides the one with the 4770 I (will) have in the office.

I mainly use statistical/numerical software like Matlab, SAS, Stata, etc...

Budget is flexible, but less is better.

CPU:

The 5960X is very appealing, but I don't know if the upgrade over the 6-cores peers is worth the money. I can justify it as a long-term investment, but I have doubts.

Mobo:

Really no idea.
The Asus Deluxe is gorgeous, but it seems a bit expensive given the features. MSI Gaming 9 is very nice, but equally expensive (although has nice features). The Gigabyte UD5 seems nice, but no reviews yet.
Open to suggestions, although I would excluded ROG, OC Force, etc... series.

RAM:

I was thinking about 16GB under $350. Something like Corsair or Ripjaws 2666.

CPU Cooler

The one I have should be enough for something like 4.0/4.2. I hope :D

Thanks!

Im looking at this myself.

The 5820k and extreme 6 combo is 690$. For the RAM, crucial is dominating the price bracket competition. 2400 is 199$ for 16gb with crucial. The other brands are over 300, which makes this is a no brainer for myself. The extreme 6 has 12 phase (true 12, not that 6 phase split in half crap), and a solid VRM section, so I would trust it for the 6 cores with moderate over clocks for sure. The 5960x is certainly interesting, but do you really really need the extra 25% power for 300% of the cost? As for the 5820 vs 5930, if youre not going to be using 3 or 4 way sli, then it doesn't make sense to get the 5930.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks to hear back myself, so if you learn anything, I'd love to hear it.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of ASRock also because they are a bit colorful.
An all black mobo like the MSI SLI would be the best for me, but it seems a bit weak in the OC dept.

The Gaming 9 has an integrated streaming card, but I'm not going to shell a lot more for that.

Im looking at this myself.

The 5820k and extreme 6 combo is 690$. For the RAM, crucial is dominating the price bracket competition. 2400 is 199$ for 16gb with crucial. The other brands are over 300, which makes this is a no brainer for myself. The extreme 6 has 12 phase (true 12, not that 6 phase split in half crap), and a solid VRM section, so I would trust it for the 6 cores with moderate over clocks for sure. The 5960x is certainly interesting, but do you really really need the extra 25% power for 300% of the cost? As for the 5820 vs 5930, if youre not going to be using 3 or 4 way sli, then it doesn't make sense to get the 5930.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks to hear back myself, so if you learn anything, I'd love to hear it.

Ah, Im not overly concerned on color schemes myself, but the feature set on the extreme is pretty decent looking o_O

I kinda want someone else to dive in first though :p

If I can keep the white/black/red I have now it would be better, but I don't stress too much. The problem of the Extreme is that they are not black with blue details, they are black and blue.

The Fatal1ty could be an option, but never heard good things about them.

Ah, Im not overly concerned on color schemes myself, but the feature set on the extreme is pretty decent looking o_O

I kinda want someone else to dive in first though :p

Why not the GA-X99-UD4 then?

Edit: Or the X99X Killer? It's basically the same as the X99 Extreme6, but red.

Last edited:
The Fatal1ty is the Killer, but never heard good things about ASRock Gaming mobos.

Noob question regarding the UD4 (vs UD5), how important are those heatsinks around the CPU. My Z87 has one on the top and one on the right. The UD5, the Deluxe, the Rampage V, etc.. have one on the top, one on the right and one on the bottom. The UD4, as the MSI X99 SLI, has just one on the top.

EDIT: another interesting one is the Asus X99-A

"ASUS is planning to launch their X99-A at $280 in early September"

http://media.bestofmicro.com/3/X/451149/original/X99-A.jpg

Why not the GA-X99-UD4 then?

Edit: Or the X99X Killer? It's basically the same as the X99 Extreme6, but red.

Last edited:
Killers are fine for what they offer o_O, or at least have been. Bear in mind, they have always been the mid-low range "gaming" boards; don't think they were ever intended to be serious overclocking grade motherboards, and thats pretty much across the board with them from the boards they have reviewed (AMD and Intel alike). Although with a beast of a chip like this, I dont think I'd go for the "budget model". Learned that lesson the hard way with the 8320....

Bought 16GB of Corsair LPX 2666 for under $300 thanks to a coupon I had.

Tomorrow I will visit Microcenter and buy the CPU (don't know which one)

Back