• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1100t gets very hot what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I take it the system is still responsive, correct?

If so, fire up prime again and watch your temps closely. Keep moving your mouse every now and then to make sure it doesn't go into sleep. If the temps get any higher than 60c, shut it down. If it shows up super hot for a second or so, then drops back down, you know that it's a software glitch. Regardless, that CPU certainly runs hot.

As I said, I doubt that it got as hot as HWM says it did, but it's still running too hot for me. And that's with the 212 on it, right?

One other thing you can try is undervolting. Bring the vcore down a notch in BIOS, then boot back into Windows and run a quick 20 min blend test. So long as it passes, reboot back into BIOS and repeat until it doesn't. Once it doesn't, go back into BIOS and bring it up a notch. Run a blend test for 2 hours, and see if that doesn't help your temps. If it fails Prime within that 2 hours, go back into BIOS and bring the voltage up another notch, and try again.

That's one heavy duty CPU. My 960T as an x4 at the voltages your running will run on the warm side, so it's no surprise to me that your 6 core is.

So I took your advice and tried undervolting. I managed to undervolt from 1.375 to 1.200, I could probably go lower, but I haven't tried. The temperatures were so much lower? There has to be a catch...Does it make the performance worse?

Here is a picture of HW monitor after running prime95 for around 15 minutes....
HW monitor prime95 blend while undervolting to 1.200 from 1.375.PNG

I noticed that after I had closed prime95 the CPU was still under 100% usage on all the cores so I opened up Task Manager and saw that 95 was still in fact open. Why didn't it stop the processes after I had closed the window?

So long as it will be stable undervolted, there's no catch at all. As you have seen, it's actually beneficial, as it will lower temperatures considerably. I would let prime run for a couple of hours before labeling it stable though.

I noticed that after I had closed prime95 the CPU was still under 100% usage on all the cores so I opened up Task Manager and saw that 95 was still in fact open. Why didn't it stop the processes after I had closed the window?

You actually have to stop prime before exiting it. When you close prime, it actually continues to run in the task bar.

Shutting down Prime95 completely is a two step process. First, you have to "Stop" the workers from the drop down Test menu. Then you have to chose "Exit" from the the Test menu.

OP, would you please put info about your CPU cooler in your Sig? Talking about temps is not very helpful if we don't know what cooler you are using. You probably mentioned it somewhere in the thread but it needs to be in your Sig as this thread is now very long and info not in a Sig get's buried and lost.

Oh thanks for pointing that out I'll change it right now. The cooler I use is the Cooler Master 212+

Trents does this mean that I can overclock with no problems if it doesn't get too hot?

Looking at those most recent temps, you have maybe 5-10c of headroom for overclock. Those core temps are probably warmer than what you see in HWMonitor because the Thuban core temp sensors notoriously were calibrated on the cool side.

Do you recommend that I just forget about my 1100T and just try and overclock my 960T?
Do you undervolt your 960T?

I have a mild overvolt on my 960T, got me to 4.08. How does this chip feel compared to your 960T? Does it take longer for your programs to load?

It's your decision, but I would stick with the 1100T. That's probably one of the best chips made by AMD so far.

Do you recommend that I just forget about my 1100T and just try and overclock my 960T?
Do you undervolt your 960T?

Have you tried unlocking the other two cores of the 960T? With the other two cores unlocked it is the same as the 1100T when running at the same frequency. Same architecture.

Yes, I have been able to unlock 2 cores.. What inhibits processors from having a faster clock rate, is it only temperature? My 960T runs at a very low temperature even under stress. Do you think that because of the low temps on the 960T I should use it because it has more potential for overclocking then the very hot 1100T. Also what is the point of overvolting?

Over-volting enables a higher overclock. It restores stability when the overclock is carried to the point where the stock voltage is insufficient to push the electron data flow through the micro circuitry without data bits dropping out and producing errors. Every electronic circuit produces resistance to the flow of electrons. The faster you make them go the higher the resistance becomes. The only way to overcome that is to push them harder with more voltage which itself produces more heat which increases the resistance. Heat increases resistance. The only way to break through the extra resistance created by the extra heat is to push it harder with more voltage which makes more heat and increases resistance and so on and so on. You reach a point of stasis where those forces reach a standoff and that is the overclocking "wall". Hopefully, you can see from all that why better cooling pushes that wall out a little further. With extreme cooling like liquid nitrogen people are able to get these AMD CPUs up to around 8 ghz.

Normally, an 1100T will overclock a little higher than an unlocked 960T but there is this whole question from the beginning of your thread about something being wrong with your 1100T.

Before I begin I will summarize this thread so you don't have to go back. Basically my 1100T was running hot and unstable and I came here to troubleshoot that. In the end I got frustrated and ended up putting the 960T back it. Summer has arrived and I am bored. Someone on reddit also told my the lackluster on the VRM could be a culprit.

Almost 5 years later and hopefully a bit wiser than my 15 year-old self, I want to try this again. I have kept the computer all these years and really haven't changed anything. I came back from school and tried to play CS:S and my GPU crashed and I discovered it would hit around 75 C before crashing. It doesn't have a built in fan so I stuck the stock fan from the original CPU cooler on-top. Now the GPU doesn't get about 65 C when playing. So I "figured" that deal out. I realize this isn't optimal as it is blowing hot air up onto the CPU. I want to upgrade my GPU at some point, the 6670 is a bit lackluster IMHO, and when I do, let it be know it will have an on-board fan. :)

I'm not really sure if the original guys helping me with this are still around, if you are great! If not maybe somebody else can assist me. Last night I took the side panel off and attempted to clean the computer, , I know this will make you guys cringe, but . I vacuumed all the big dust clumps up, I now know vacuuming isn't good because of static build up or something... too late now. I then used compressed air to clean everything.

On reddit someone told me this, "By using a large tower cooler the VRM no longer gets any airflow, and with that paltry heatsink the chips slowly cooked until they were no longer stable. If you reinstall it consider getting a fan to blow directly on the VRM of the board, it will greatly reduce the temperature of the VRM, which allows them to deliver more power.
I ran a 1090T @ 4.0GHz 1.48V on the most famous fireball VRM - an 890FXA-GD70 - by keeping a fan blowing directly on it. Without the fan the temps hit 95C pretty quick (I had a liquid cooler, so zero air moving on the heatsink), with it on above 70C was rare." - Following this advice I placed the small fan directly blowing on the VRM and moved the rear exhaust fan to the GPU. I think Both fans on the 212+ are adequate for expelling hot air out of the case. I also moved a hard-drive up to make room for the intake fan.

I then placed the 1100T in the socket applied the thermal paste and put the 212+ back on. The computer turned on. This is where I am at. The MOBO CPU temp hovers around 55-60 C, but SpeedFan and Speccy both tell me 25-32 C. When I get home I will try HWMonitor. I will run Prime95 for 20 minutes and take before and after screen shots. Does this all sound okay for now? Here are pictures of everything how it stands,

Edit: Side question: when should I start from scratch and do a complete rebuild, I'm not looking to play The Witcher 3 at 4k or anything I just want this to work. And if I can this system that would be for the best, because I am broke.

Last edited:
I'll look into getting a new GPU once I get my next paycheck :D. Regarding my CPU, should I be worried about the 20+ disparity in temps from BIOS to Speccy or FanSpeed?

Back