• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1100t gets very hot what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
don't worry about that just yet, get us the screen shots of hardware monitor first please.

So these screenshots are all after running prime95 on blend mode for all cores for 25 minutes.
CPU-Z CPU.JPG

CPU-Z Memory.JPG

CPU-Z SPD.JPG

HW After Stress Test.JPG

Looks like its running really hot as anticipated.

Edit: I'm reading some other forum posts right now and they say that the PHIIs max at 62 C? How is this possible.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm reading some other forum posts right now and they say that the PHIIs max at 62 C? How is this possible.

They become unstable around that temp. Ive read anywhere from 55C to 65C as max stable temps. Dolks Guide here on the forums has been my Phenom II Bible and states 55C and I shoot for as far below that as I can manage with my 955BE.

Your first stop should be to take look through Dolks Guide to see what you can learn there, and after that I imagine you will head into the BIOS to apply some of that knowledge. When you get stuck bring back some screenshots and I am sure the folks around here will be able to see a few more Mhz in there, or help you stabilize the clocks you are at. Good luck :)

You're going to need a better cooler for that beast. No doubt about it

Judging by thos pics that's not a new cooler and should be doing better than it is. So either it's starting to fail or your mount/TIM is bad

They become unstable around that temp. Ive read anywhere from 55C to 65C as max stable temps. Dolks Guide here on the forums has been my Phenom II Bible and states 55C and I shoot for as far below that as I can manage with my 955BE.

What constitutes stability though? If I run prime95 for 2 hours like trents was originally describing and nothing crashes how is it unstable?

Your first stop should be to take look through Dolks Guide to see what you can learn there, and after that I imagine you will head into the BIOS to apply some of that knowledge. When you get stuck bring back some screenshots and I am sure the folks around here will be able to see a few more Mhz in there, or help you stabilize the clocks you are at. Good luck :)

Here you're talking about overclocking, but we haven't even established what to do about the high temperatures?

Judging by thos pics that's not a new cooler and should be doing better than it is. So either it's starting to fail or your mount/TIM is bad

I used to run the computer with my 960T overclocking, just fine without any heat issues that I can recall? I really don't think anything is wrong with the mount/TIM. From what I can glean the Thubans run extremely hot and the EVO may just not be able to handle it. Someone on another forum mentioned that running prime95 can actually damage components because it load the system in ways normal operation couldn't. He also mentioned I'm running the chip at a much higher voltage (1.45V) than specified (1.325) for stock speeds. So I will lower that in the bios and report back.

dloks guide is a lot more than just how to overclock, it's a great read.

p95 is not the end all, be all to see if you are stable, it's just another tool.
what was the clock on your p95 run?

What constitutes stability though? If I run prime95 for 2 hours like trents was originally describing and nothing crashes how is it unstable?
[/QUOTE ]

There is no 1 size fits all definition for stability, so that us tough to answer. As for your chip passing prime95 for 2 hours, that is "gkod enough" stable depending on my level of patience for the day. While I have never gone higher than 56C on any of my 3 Phenom II X4's it is my understanding that over 55/60C they become... "flakey" is the word that was used. What that means is that your chip will start acting up and throwing errors and perhaps BSODs over time. Kind of like running your car engine too fast without shifting gears : just not good for it.

[QUOTE ] Here you're talking about overclocking, but we haven't even established what to do about the high temperatures?

For too much heat there are a few options. Better Cooling, better airflow, or less voltage to the CPU in the BIOS. Or a combination. My thinking was that if you tune your chip properly with the guide your temps would drop. It could be that the BIOS has the cpu voltage set too high for an unknown reason and is generating too much heat. So setting the Vcore to stock settings instead of auto might cool your chip a bit. This happened with 2 of my Phenom II's. Your voltage swings from ~1.2V to ~1.45V. Now 1.45 isnt that high for a phenom II but is getting close the the limit. What thermal paste are you using? Depending in what you are using there might be a way to knock a couple degrees for your temps. Better fans /airflow could benefit you also. I would makes sure the voltage in the BIOS is off of auto first just because it won't cost you anything. I am not sure what stock volts for the Thubans are but IIRC 1.35V was stock for the Deneb chips. Thuban might be different.
[

Yea so I knocked down the voltage to the stock 1.35V. Not good things appeared to happen...
After making voltage 1.35.JPG

So it appears to have gotten over ten degrees hotter, this is with prime95 because we had a "control" with the auto voltage settings....

Wow... It got hotter with less voltage? Its about time I bow out and let the wiser folks help you then because I don't know what to make of that. I just pulled Johan's post back up to the front of the line here because you might have am issue with your thermal paste or something and I didnt notice if you already crossed that question off the list.

The facts remain though, that if you want better temps you can improve your heatsink, your airflow, or lower the voltage going through the chip. I would add delidding as another option but it is a risky procedure and most folks would advise against it for good reason.

Edit : How is that fan on your cooler doing? Your shot shows SYSFAN (The CPU fan I believe) @ 1800 RPM. I would expect higher RPM if your cpu is that hot. Got another fan to test with?

Last edited:
So I reset the BIOS, didn't change anything except turned Turbo off and I made the voltage 1.325... Running a little bit cooler after 20 min of prime95 on blend.
Reset Bios No Turbo 20 minutes 1.325.JPG

how about we start all over here?
shut the rig down, retim and reinstall the cooler please.
fire up prime 95 with cpu-z open with three tabs showing, cpu, memory, and spd and post a screen shot after 20 mins, while it's still under load please.

Your 1.325v bios setting is actually giving you 1.37v
Lower it some more.

Realistically, that is just too hot for the voltage being used. That CPU is a dud IMO.

how about we start all over here?
shut the rig down, retim and reinstall the cooler please.
fire up prime 95 with cpu-z open with three tabs showing, cpu, memory, and spd and post a screen shot after 20 mins, while it's still under load please.

I JUST did this two days ago, I don't see it making a difference to do it again. That screenshot posted of the CPU cores hitting 71 is after exactly what I did.

To the person who asked about the fan speed, that sysfan speed isn't the CPU fan I downloaded the ASRock Utility and this is what it shows...

Fan Speeds.JPG

Can we talk about how prime95 unrealistically stresses the system? From what I have been reading it makes the CPU unnecessarily hot. Combine that with Thuban which runs hot already, a ****ty VRM, not neccesarrily the BEST cooler, but still a good one and this is what we have....

P95 is the industry standard as far as stress testing goes.
Everybody is at the same advantage/disadvantage as you are.

Your 1100T is crap.
Luck of the draw.

Last edited:
yes, the vcore has to come down here at 3.3.
his does run strangely hot, I thought the 2 i decided to keep in my stable were heaters.
the only board i have that is close to yours is the extreme 3, try a lower load line calibration, that might help keep the voltage from over shooting what is set in bios by so much.
yes, p95 puts a lot more load on the cpu and makes more heat than you will ever see in day to day use, it's focus is to find prime numbers not being a bench mark but, it's what we have and what we use.

So I ran a stress test with AIDA64, lots of controversy what is better. I unchecked "Stress FSU" and ran it for a couple hours and the vcore CPU temperatures did not exceed 52 C... I will now try to test with FSU enabled...

What you stress with does not matter. The chip is still way hot for the vcore used.
You're only fooling yourself. It will not magically get cooler.

Back