• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 870-G45 nearly dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istariol

guys ASAP needed newly motherboard for my Phenom II X4 955 BE because my current motherboard 870-G45 is nearly in the edge of clliff AKA after two weeks ago it got TAZED BY LIGHTNING AND ALMOST FEW DAYS I RESUSCITATE MY PC after got struck.....there's a problem with 4 slots of RAMS only 2 slots can be operate with max 2Gb if more than than BSOD or just black screen while active. PSU i got before is fried and have to change with newly one 200w and CAN'T use 500w anymore because if i force it to use that....whole system got screwed!.....and vga slot is also fried left with only one vga slot which is also works half%.....AKA cannot be OC again so i have to let it default clock, same goes to my phenom while before i can OC it until 3,8 max with help BIOS and motherboard easy OC.....now my phenom has been LOCKED CLOCK on 3Ghz and not 3,2 just like default....help me what to do!! i don't wanna build FX so i need some reference for rig powered by Phenom

these are my current specification before struck by lightning
Phenom II X4 955 BE
870-g45
8 rams 2*4 slots
GT430 1gb
PSU 500w not pure
windows 7 64bit

need help for upgrading my AMD guys, please hehe! even if you all tell me to swap into FX class well i don't mind but please not sooo expensive reference okay hehe....thanks AMD fans

I think we went thru this months ago when you were buying? What places can you buy from online. Otherwise we would be just throwing out models of mobo that you can in no way obtain. Nothing was wrong with the board until lightning hit it? Why not get another just like it? You know how it works.

sigh!! i guess you right...i know how it works but....sorry for posting whining like this.......well it seems i have to junk it down my cpu and save what can be saving also buy new CPU again. i hope for the next one would be awesome than the old one....thanks anyway

Man I did not hear any whining. All I remember is that most of what we can get to in an online store, is not what you can get where you live. At least that is what I believe I remember about your buying situation.

When lightning gets them it usually get the power supply, the motherboard, sometimes the cpu and the ram. From what you are saying, it seems the power supply is gone and the motherboard also.

It may not have taken out the cpu or the ram. Normally the lightning seems to short the cpu and the board will not work at all. You seem to have it sort of working.

I think I would buy a good power supply and try the new power supply that is powerful enough for all my parts and pieces and then see how bad the situation is. There is a long chance the power supply is mainly bad. A small chance but still a chance.

If a new and powerful enough power supply does not get things back to working good, then I would buy a motherboard and try it along with the old cpu and ram and new powerful enough power supply. Maybe it only took out the power supply and mobo.

If you are not going to try and troubleshoot in steps like that, you might nearly as well buy all new. The reason I say it like that is because I 'have' seen people try and change only a piece at a time from a lightning hit and burn-up the new stuff. Usually that is from a bad cpu. Usually a shorted cpu in some way. That does not seem to be your situation. So you might be able to replace only the power supply and mobo and get bye more cheaply.

Otherwise you really need almost everything new. Well not fans or case, but most everything else. That is a bummer for sure. Good fortune to you in the future. RGone...ster.

Gone, your words gave me knocks in the head!! i see your points there but..........i'm already buy whole CPU (>_<) sorrrrrrrrrrryyyyy.........these is my new CPU spec:

-AMD Zambezi FX-8120
-MSI 990FXA-GD80
-4Gb PC 1600 Venomrx Overclocker 2 slots
-Seagate SATA III 500Gb
-Digital Alliance HD 7970 3GB 384Bit
-XIGMATEK Elysium
-Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
-Creative SB Recon 3D PCIE Sound Card
-CM V10
-LG DVD rom
-UPS 2000w (just in case)
-stabilizer (just in case)

Don't wanna OC again.....hiks! this new CPU really cost my fortune.....i hope god all mighty don't tazed my CPU again huhuhuh.....

I would suggest going with another brand of motherboard besides MSI. Like, Asus, ASRock or Gigagbyte. MSI quality control is not good anymore and we have more problems show up on this forum with MSI by far than with the other major brands.

Sorry to hear about the lightening that really sucks. Get a surge protector for all your pc components, these dont cost much and will save your gear unless the lightening hits your pc directly. :shock:

noooooo......the brands that you mentioning is major sales in our country or at least they are far easy to find in my city!!!! you making me scared trents...."cross fingers" i hope mine does the job because it really expensive in here Rp 2,300,000 (dollar currency in my country is average $1 is Rp 9,400-) the way i see it i have invest more than i can chew that's why i HOPE with UPS and stabilizer also good PSU i have can withstand lightning and saving my invest in CPU cost more than $ 1200 (maybe is not so expensive in your $ currency but in here......all good technology with premium quality cost more because of currency problems!! plus they are more rare to get)

Sounds good i would personally have the ups plugged into a separate surge protector that even protects the ups. Just my opinion though, as its alot of money you have spent.

I use power surge protectors on my PC's and I also tie a lose knot in the power cord (NOT TIGHT) like this:

DSCN0026.JPG

It blocks lightning, I have used this for over 10 years and not 1 dead PC.

I expect the single loose power cord knot only works at your Location: Planet Norath. On planet Sourath, they have to use two tighter knots.

:rofl::rofl:
In lightning, current is not just going in 1 direction, it's flowing like ultra high frequency AC current, and that lose knot acts like a RF choke to lightning, blocking it.

I expect the single loose power cord knot only works at your Location: Planet Norath. On planet Sourath, they have to use two tighter knots.

Back