• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Kill-A-Watt died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klear

Though I did leave it plugged in while a computer was pulling 850 watts 24/7, it died after a few months. Makes sense that good practice would have me disconnect the kill-a-watt when I don't need it, correct?

Anyway, I want to get another one, looking for any recommendation on which one to get.

I had this one last time

Last edited:
woops, i think the one you linked is the one I had!

klear I have the same one Bobnova linked you and I have had it plugged in 24/7 for at least 1 1/2 years. The pc is on at least 8 hours a day with no issues yet.

yeah there's a little puff of black on the outlet and anything i plug into the killawatt will not power on, warranty only 30 days

Just get another one. The newer ones are built very different from the old ones.

im using the kill-a-watt p3 as well ive hooked up 1500w heaters to see how many watts they really pull... guess what, its more like 1450 :p

I have this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-715-001&ParentOnly=1
I use it for PSU reviews, including 1500w (1700+ at the wall) units. No issues yet, though it did yell at me for exceeding its rating once.
I'm rather surprised yours died.

im using the kill-a-watt p3 as well ive hooked up 1500w heaters to see how many watts they really pull... guess what, its more like 1450 :p

Just be aware these things can be rather inaccurate at high power levels. Or low power levels. Sometimes all power levels if you get a bad one.

There's a reason I don't use these for reviews. I have two - neither one agrees with the other. One's so far off that Gold units pass Platinum with it. Went to the Brand 4-1850 after that... it does a much better job at being accurate, but will cost you a little. Still wasn't as accurate as I needed, so I'm on the Rek meter now. Which is kind of nice in ways besides accuracy, because it accepts up to 600V IIRC on the measurement side of things.

Used it at 230V for the first time this week - did just fine :)

That's one of the reasons I don't get into efficiency in my review, I can't do it accurately enough for my tastes.

klear I have the same one Bobnova linked you and I have had it plugged in 24/7 for at least 1 1/2 years. The pc is on at least 8 hours a day with no issues yet.

I also have one as well. It seems pretty accurate with the software/hardware I use. I'am was in the 850w range for the longest time and now only in the 350w range on load. Have been running it for 2+ years now almost 3 without a hitch. I'am thinking of grabbing a few more.

Back