• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My motherboard got partially burned. Can't understand reason.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sandr5508

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out what happened with my PC. I have Asus P8H77-V motherboard with Intel Core i5-3570 CPU. Recently I have bvought a new SSD which I connected as the fifth disk to my PC. After testing I have decided to disconnect it(turnig off PC before). When I turned my PC on again I couldn't get a video signal. PS is starting and going offline and strarting again... After tests I figuired out problem is in RAM slots. When I have installed memory in two slots system loaded. When I have installed the memory in the third slot system still could load but I had strangely high voltage in bios(ok, may be not so strange - 1,6 but I set it up as 1,5). Four slots together didn't work. Also I could get only 8GB RAM even if I have installed 3x4GB. Later I have checked 2x8GB and it's working as well:)) Also I have tried to change memory multipliers, nothig special again, some simple change. After this my current slots got broken but I could use another slots. Now I have two working slots 2th and 3th with 8GB RAM. I thought problem is only in motherboard and I need to replace it. But before I tested some old asus motherboard with 775 socked just to be right and It seems memory slots got burned too. But here is a little another situation: sometimes all slots are working, sometimes are not:) and also I had 2x256MB and 1x1GB in this motherboard. Now I can start it with 3x256 but if I add 1GB it's doesn't work. I mean It's starting but bios isn't loading as it's with my Asus P8H77-V.

Any ideas? Broken PS? I checked voltage with multimeter and it seems everything is ok. I have CFT-650-14CS.

Did you test the old socket 775 using the same RAM and the same PSU? I was a little unclear on what you were saying. Does the socket 775 motherboard also use DDR3 RAM? The earlier socket 775 motherboards used DDR2.

Did you test the old socket 775 using the same RAM and the same PSU? I was a little unclear on what you were saying. Does the socket 775 motherboard also use DDR3 RAM? The earlier socket 775 motherboards used DDR2.

The same PSU but, of course, DDR2 RAM. By the way, all memory(DDR2 and DDR3) was later tested on another PCs and proven to be working:) Therefore it seems problem in memory slots.

I know you checked the voltage output of the PSU with a multimeter but I still wonder about the PSU. Chieftec is not a quality brand PSU. Perhaps the problem will only show if the PSU is under load.

I checked PSU under full load as well but only 12v and 5v lines via molex. It seems fine. But I have aт assumption problem proabably appears when PC starts may be just wrong voltage providing at that moment to memory part. Oh, I have forgot. Integrated video doesn't work as well on my motherboard. Even if it's ok with RAM I'm getting three sinals about broken video. I tested CPU on another motherboard and its video core is fine:)

And you are sure that the DDR2 used in the second motherboard was good beforehand?

Back