• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Ryzen has risen (so have a few questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

Completed the build on the 1600X this evening, loaded the OS, and did some basic testing at stock speed.

1 - ROG Hero VI BIOS temp reading show 51°C but Rysen Master shows 23°C. Not sure why. I remember something about an artificially-inflated temp offset but don't know if this is it or if BIOS is reading temp remaining til tJ

2 - Had some issues with placement of the EVO960 M.2 and the Tosh RD400. Had to move the RD400 to very first slot before the system would recognize the EVO. I seem to remember that if certain slots are filled, others are disabled. Seems I ran into that. (The picture below is from when I had the RD400 in the top slot instead of the first slot. It now sits beneath the video card)

3 - About the only thing impressive with this case is the size. There's little to no cable management at all and it was a real PITA to get stuff run and look halfway decent.

Halfway because the case still needs to be loaded with the parts out of this intel system I'm on while I try to figure out how to set up the RAID on the 32TB of HGST drives

IMAG0221.jpg

Have you run into issues with cable lengths yet? Seems to be a common problem with the ulta-mega cases.

Also, FWIW, I think you cable management is fine.

Yeah, I did actually. Just ordered 8 4-pin cable extenders. Not really worried about the fans not being connected since I've gotten the temps display corrected. (23°C at stock in W10)

System's pretty silent with only 1 exhaust fan and the 2 fans on the 110i.

I spent all last night and day building the 16TB RAID 1 array and it pooped all over itself this evening taking the OS with it, evidently. reinstalled W10Pro and went with the AMD drivers from AMD's site and skipped all the asus bs utilities. Then I swapped back to normal drives. OS is on the RD400 and the 960EVO is reserved for path of exile.

Gonna have th revisit the RAID array later...been about a decade since i've delved into RAID and the asus manual is lacking

Also picked up 2 red ML140 fans to replace the one on the radiator of the AMD system and bought 1000 zip ties. IIRC the intel system has 120mm fans in it so i should be okay these. if not i already purchased 2 blue ml140s just in case...get it? "...in case"? thanks. I'll be playing the abromowitz wedding at the ramada inn until saturday

Notarat if I could make a suggestion, and mind you I am by no means an expert on RAID, but when I built my NAS I studied up and asked every "expert" that would listen to me about my build. But you should really consider grabbing a RAID controller instead of using the on-board controller on your motherboard. 16TB is a massive array and if you need to replace the motherboard you will/may loose the array. If you go with a controller and as long as you replace it with the same model from what I've heard is that it will be plug and play. Also, if you do pick up one, look into one with a battery back-up. They are relatively cheap. I think I paid under $50 for mine used. I chose the model I did because it's a very common one and easily replaceable in the event it goes Kaput.

Last edited:
Little update. I installed the 4770K system on the left side and snapped a pic or two showing both comps in the case. This case forces you to rob Peter to pay Paul as far as cable management goes. There just isn't enough room to do a clean install because there isn't a large enough space between the motherboards to properly route your cables

I added all the spinners to the left sire of the case and all the SSDs to the right...even though the three ssd's on the AMD side are actually connected to the intel comp. don't ask me why I did that. I don't have an answer.

I also have 2 spinners on the left which aren't powered. I installed them because I am in the process of moving data off them to the HGST 8TB drives. (I have 2 of them on the Intel system and 4 of them on the AMD)

DO NOT BUY Corsair ML120 fans. I had 11 Noctuas in the Obsidian case and I couldn't hear them. Now that I installed only 7 Corsair ML120s I can't hear anything. At all. I think I just went deaf.
IMAG0229.jpg
IMAG0230.jpg

There PWM fans. Once up and running in Windows should be able to create a fan profile to keep them quiet. Or get a fan controller.

The CPU seems to be capable of booting up at 4.17GHz and it runs fine for about an hour or so at .709v but gets unstable because it's not getting enough volts.

Asus seems to have renamed the cool-n-quiet to some obscure term that I am either overlooking or just can't locate at all. I'm pretty sure if I can find that setting and lock in some higher volts it'll be stable but, until then, I'm back at stock speed

Have you run into issues with cable lengths yet? Seems to be a common problem with the ulta-mega cases.

Also, FWIW, I think you cable management is fine.

Since Amazon F-d up for the second time in a week and sent me the wrong items I didn't get my fan cable extenders. So I tried some creative routing and got 3 of the 4 front mount ML120s up and running.

System runs cool. I played about 9hrs of POE and the CPU never passed 35°C.

Turns out my issue was CPU-Z incorrectly reading voltage. HWInfo64 reads it fine.

Here's a pic of the system at 4100.
4100.jpg

SMALL UPDATE

Parts arrived today; 6-bay SSD Hotswap Rack, 4-bay SSD Hotswap Rack, 3-bay SSD Hotswap Rack, 2 TT Commander Fan Control/RGB Control panels, and assorted other ****e.

Noticed that there were no mounting tabs in the kits so I dug through what came with the Core P200 and I had enough tabs to do the 6bay and 3 bay, but not enough to do the 4bay and 2 fan/RGB controller units...those will have to wait for now.

IMAG0269.jpg

Back