• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my system isn't booting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

well it does boot, but it only sometimes boots and sometimes doesn't boot.. but when it does boot up it's 100% stable. Heh, I've tried clearing the CMos and it doesn't really help, oftentimes I just keep turning it on and off and on and off untill finnally the beeps on :confused:

system specs

Duron 800@900 (nonunloocked only FSB)
Watercooled, dunno idle temp.. but 40 degrees celsius load (i fold when it's on =) )
IWill KK266
Geforce 3 Ti500
Sound Blaster Live! value
Crucial 256mb SDRAM Cas2

I'm thinking it might be the power supply, it's 300W but i don't think's any name brand

I had a problem with a BXII board that would boot, but only when it felt like it.

One day I just left it on for a bit when I heard the "windows startup" music and realized it was just video that was not working. Seems a faulty agp slot was to blame. Once I realized seating the vid card completely then pulling it back out a slight amount would fix the problem, I only had to play with the vid card about once a month.

Do the fans in the system spin up when you start it, even if the system doesn't boot?

i had my old P3 system that wouldnt boot during wintertime when temps dropped it was like an old car, you had to let it warm up for a bit before it worked ;) I would turn it on and have to leave it at a black screen for about 10 min before the cpu got nice and toasty then reboot and it was fine, strange comp LOL, anyways try using a 400watt PSU that could help,

would windows XP not boot because of a bad PSU also? I'd dish out some extra cash for a new PSU if it's a good possiblity i guess, just my budget is kinda tihgt right now

I would try 2 things.

1. Reseat everything. CPU, memory all the cards.

2. Different/new PSU.

Do #1 first as it will save you 40bucks or whatever.....

Back