• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB Oddities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjrhealth

Registered
I have teh 6300,@ 4.56 Gig. I have NB at 2200 or so, I learned something. I had an issue with flashplayer on teh web, also had problems with my tv tuner panel disappearing and trains2012 control panel loosing sync, when i raised the NB to 2400. Tried upping NB seemed one time to be stable the next stutters and teh same problem yet I can fly in FSX for hours with no apparent affect and it hates any instability. So i can presume from this that NB seems to affect Video more than CPU which may be why on these it doesnt make any diff to Prime95. So its at 2200 cant find a stable spot even with Nb volts at 1.21V. (stock 1.145)CPU Nb which is stock at 1.2 doesnt seem to help either. It runs fine with 1.145V at 2200. Any clues.

Are you confusing the NB voltage in bios with the CPUNB voltage in bios? "NB" can refer to either the motherboard chipset or the integrated memory component of the CPU. The former involves the PCI-e controller which would have a bearing on the video. Many motherboard bioses don't do a good job in distinguishing the two in their nomenclature and use "NB" to refer to both. In CPU-z, "NB" refers to the CPUNB.

I am well ware of that.Might try pushing CPU nb V higher.how high can one go??

I think a lot of overclockers are running the CPUNB volts at about 1.3 but to my recollection they normally don't supplement the chipset NB voltage.

we all seem to be running the cpu/nb voltage at around 1.3 volts and at 2400-2500 seems to be the sweet spot.

oh Hi, Trents, it's good to see your around.

That worked. wasnt so shure with these chips NB 2387 1.3 V no more skipping flashplayer.

Thanks

So 1.3 is generally safe to run? I've got mine at 1.25v at the moment - I wouldn't mind running it a little higher to see if I can net a better OC.

So 1.3 is generally safe to run? I've got mine at 1.25v at the moment - I wouldn't mind running it a little higher to see if I can net a better OC.

AMD themselves says that 1.35V CPU_NB is fine on FX processors. I do not remember what AMD said about the Deneb, Thuban CPU_NB Voltage. But it is out there, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

Raising CPU_NB voltage of itself will not help an overclock, unless one is trying to run a higher CPU_NB frequency. On my FX processors, if I leave the CPU_NB frequency low, then I can run stable with stock CPU_NB voltage. So no real help just with rasing CPU_NB as relates just to overclocking. Not that I have seen on FX processors. I would expect the same with Deneb and Thubans.
RGone...

at very high clocks I run my cpu/nb voltage at around 1.4 as I get near 2600 and the only thing that becomes an issue is the added heat in the processor.

Well even at 1.3 V same issue. Primes ok but flash player glitching., at 2200 or less its sweet. But at X11 one boot its fine, than i think oh good solved, next boot glitching again yet it primes ok. Certainly seems to be video related. Ill leave it where it is, so if when watching you tube and video stutters drop the NB frequency ??

You can take that approach to adjust the speed of the NB downward for video if you want. How much do you figure you gain in other apps by have the NB frequency higher than stock anyway? Maybe not as much as you think and not enough to be worth the hassle.

You can take that approach to adjust the speed of the NB downward for video if you want. How much do you figure you gain in other apps by have the NB frequency higher than stock anyway? Maybe not as much as you think and not enough to be worth the hassle.

And even more so not worth the hassle if not running FAST ram. Something like DDR1866 or so for FX processor.
RGone...

On these vishera chips, nothing at all from what I an tell, not like my old 1090T.

Ta

I do not remember what AMD said about the Deneb, Thuban CPU_NB Voltage. But it is out there, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

My deneb has a stock CPU/NB of 1.3875; i found with 4 chips of ram the whole system is a lot more stable with it running at 1.4V... it doesn't seem to add any temps to my cpu at that voltage.

an odd thing though...

my cpu needs a 1.4500 vcore at 3.8ghz to stabilize (not that it's all that stable) with the cpu/nb at 1.3875, however if i bump the cpu/nb up to 1.4000 i can drop my vcore down to 1.4375, and the whole system is rock solid. Not sure its supposed to work like that but it seems to on my cpu.

Back