• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-8370 rotten IMC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4.6 Ghz overclock with a CLC should have told you otherwise.... Ryzens dont come close to that. :)

Yeah, sorry about that. I was just commenting on motherboard voltage and presets, then answered a question without clarifying. Completely on me.

Not your fault I wasn't paying close enough attention. But I get what you're saying about the voltage and presets.

ZIla recently purchased a 2700X and experienced his board 300x series, likes to over-volt generously. I have not experienced this with the 400 series non X board.

People like numbers, reviews give them numbers, marketing people give them numbers, so mobo manufacturers have to give them those numbers. They also have to give stability, so they tend to crank up the volts. Saw an interesting video on that subject (Intel was the focus, though. If I find it I'll PM you the link)

What amazes me the most is how high those chips can go! Seeing 5ghz+ clocks on fx doesn't seem like rare deer in the woods. Intel, not so much. Sad part is, Intel gets a lot more done per clock. Wasn't it the opposite in the earlier and days where less clock didn't mean less score?

Yeah I remember when the war was for Ghz AMD had the instructions per clock in the Athlon days. I don't think there was even a simple term for it like "IPC" or "Instructions per clock." I was busy getting degrees at the time but I imagine that came from intel's marketing once they took the lead in that department. I just remember cryptic Anandtech articles about Athlon having a "shorter pipeline" and floorplans of the on die architecture with flow charts. Maybe these aren't even the same thing, but they got lumped together in my mind when I started getting back into this stuff.

Intel claimed the lead before they actually had it, too. The compiler nonsense made Pentiums look like they were something. They weren't. The Athlons actually killed them, but Intel committed outright fraud, lied to customers, and extorted the pre built manufacturers. They made the Mafia look like a bunch of amateurs. All while AMD gave us 64 bit, multi cores for the masses, and the first production 5 GHz chip, and claimed the outright world speed record in GHz. FX wasn't exactly a sales flop, either, and FX rigs are still out there chugging along. I'm personally responsible for three of them that see daily use with no complaints.

Back