• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-8370 rotten IMC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

So I finally got around to troubleshoot the memory issue I've been having with my 8370, it simply does not like RAM above 1600mhz. Good example of this would be my CVPro 1866 c9 only run stable @stock if I bump CPU/NB to ~1.35v and memory to ~1.55v. I have another set of 1600mhz c9 that runs fine @stock (I have been running the 1866 at 1600 7-8-8-24 24/7, Chrome seems to love it).

So I decided to switch to my FX-4300 to see if it had the same issue with the memory and it runs perfectly fine :bang head 5ghz 1.428v - CPU/NB 1.3v - 1866 c9 1.5v stock no issues. Then i tried bumping speed to 2133 9-11-11-31 and 2400 10-12-12-31, again no issues with a very slight bump to CPU volts. Is there any tips to try to improve my 8370 or is he "doomed" to stay at 1600 ? Specs are in my sig :p

Last edited:
My Fx 8350 is similar Kenrou. I have a particular set of Gskill Snipers that refuse to run at stock speeds of 1866. I've also never been able to get any of my sticks "stable" above 1866 on it.

So... there's nothing to be done about it ? Kinda meh [emoji29]

I'd look for a higher rating memory. Patriot Viper extreme will do 1050Mhz at 9-10-9-27-36 as will Mushkin RedLines 1866 modules. Don't give up without trying different memory.

I remember that my FX-8320 didn't like 4GB modules. I couldn't pass DDR3-2000 on 2x4GB kit while 2x2GB could pass DDR3-2800. No problems like that on FX-8120 which was working at DDR3-2400 with Samsung sticks. I also couldn't set higher bus clock (fsb, bclk or whatever it was called on FX ... it wasn't so long time ago and I don't remember already :-/ ) when higher capacity memory was in use.

yes, with fx it needs all the support you can give it, so lean into the imc with all the ram speed and tightest timings it'll run.

Is there anything to be gained running the memory higher than 1866 on the FX-8300 series?
No.
The sweet spot for FX is 1800-1900. You might be able to run it faster, but there is no noticeable gain.
NB frequency is another story. Get as much as you can.

Thought NB bump was only "good" on the Phenom II ? I only got mine at 2600/2600 because i was told it was best for 1866+ memory, never tried going above.

I'm with S_B, if you have it try some different memory, Corsair and FX were notorious for hating each other. If you're just benching which I assume you are then 2 GB modules, old G.Skill Flare or Pi work great

Thought NB bump was only "good" on the Phenom II ? I only got mine at 2600/2600 because i was told it was best for 1866+ memory, never tried going above.

You always run what you can with FX to it's highest clock possible while retaining stability.

With memory, faster clocks with tighter memory is the way to go for almost every single AMD platform.

I've had the HT on my FX chips as high as 4ghz, but as stated by Scotty, the returns are minimal.

The most bang for the buck is that CPU OC. The best returns are here.

Odd thing i found, isn't ECC and unganged supposed to be off by default ? this screen is from wife's system but i noticed it's on on mine as well, changed both to OFF and now everything seems more responsive, faster.

181107190416.jpg

Ill try switching again tomorrow and run some benchs, from what i read Ganged is for single thread and Unganged is for multi thread, 1x128bit x 2x64bit, although Ganged is supposedly more stable ? i don't expect any kind of meaningful ups or downs either way but if it makes my IMC a little more stable, it's all good.

In theory ganged should seem more stable...
I mean think about it, if all those people in West Side Story or The Warriors were on their own it would be pretty crazy

Blast from the past. You're showing your age. :D
One of the best cult movies there ever was.
Yes it is....
It's over Scotty, having the generation Z and millennials working for me has made me realize that.
"Warriors...come out and play" :D

Back