• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a 1gbps router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I posted a link earlier about sizing routers.

Routers and switches do 2 completely different tasks, you can't compare them.

Think about it this way, Level 3 doesn't use linksys routers from walmart to move data through their backbones.

Yeah, I realize that but I guess I just had a brainfart when trying to fathom gigabit internet.. it never really clicked for me until now. :)

Because the router is NATing packets. And when you're sending packets through at gigabit speeds you need a Core 2 Duo or better in your router to keep up.

That is not entirely accurate, most decent switches and commercial routers are quite capable of this without issue. It all depends upon the amount of traffic you are routing and the environmental conditions it is under. Even if he decided to do that I highly doubt his ISP would be giving him exactly 1gb/s

Yeah, I realize that but I guess I just had a brainfart when trying to fathom gigabit internet.. it never really clicked for me until now. :)

No you had the right general idea, he's just splitting hairs. The reality of the situation is that that like most ISPs they are going to give him aprox 80% of promised throughput and just a glance at small netbuilder shows plenty of routers that are capable of that. If the OP was going to be that anal about it and wanted exactly 1gbs he would be looking at a router with a WAN-to-LAN throughput of ~10gbs which would cost more than his PC does.

Think about it this way, Level 3 doesn't use linksys routers from walmart to move data through their backbones.

That's true but their backhaul isn't 1gbs is most likely either 10gb/s or 40 and in which case they technically *do* use Linksys routers / switches because Cisco owns them and the CRX routers we use for ours.

Last edited:
Source? I'm interested to read more about this, never thought of it in that respect.

In either case, would a $50 router perform any better than a $20 switch? I wouldn't think that budget routers have a core 2 duo or better.

[edit] Just read your post above, I'll check out those links.

Though, my guess is building a dedicated box for routing is well beyond his budget (though, I wonder who pays for gigabit interwebs and can't afford the equipment to back it up? :)).. and if that's the case, then I'd still go for the switch.

i was with comcast cable paying 65$ for 30down 5 up. my electric company came out with a 100% fiber network (internet tv phone) and was charging 55$ for 100up 100down. they then reduced the 1gb package from 299$ to 70$. so im paying 5$ more for 1000/1000 than i was for 30/5.

in total i pay a little over 200$ for unlimited long distance home phone with everything. 1000/1000 internet and every channel they have to offer including like 10 hbo's skinamax and everything. they also keep adding channels at no extra charge.

ive got much much more "stuff" now and paying less than i was. so for wondering why i can afford 1gb speed but cant afford the stuff to support it.
its almost 2014 and i just assumed routers capable of running those speeds would be available at a decent price. i cant see spending much on a router. hell computers have came with onboard gb ports for years and years. so why are decent priced routers not available?

google ebp fiber optics. they claim to be the first and only 100% fiber network, even before google.

Back