• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice building a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking I'm going to buy from the Asus P5K* line. What I need to know is, is there any advantage to me buying a ddr3 motherboard vs a ddr2 board when the cpu I bought is designed for ddr2?

I'm talking cpu, not RAM. :)

My bad, I misunderstood :santa:

Depends on what you want to do. Gaming, go with the dual core. Encoding, folding, or other tasks that can take advantage of the quad then it would be the way to go.

I'd agree completely with this. With the exception of a "mediumweight" gaming machine with longevity as a high priority I'd say go dual core for gaming, quad core for productivity.

What games are you planning to play? I would go with a 64bit OS . What resolution are you playing at and what video card are you planning to get?

I updated my main post with all the stuff I've bought so far.
I still have to decide on a video card and an LCD (I still have a prehistoric CRT).
So...I guess my video card decision is based on my LCD decision, but my LCD decision is on hold ...... Well I guess I can decide on a LCD now, and buy it later, which will allow me to buy my video card now. Still have to decide on a cpu heatsink, it'll almost certainly one of the top 2 Thermalright ones. And if when I get the case I ordered, and I'm not totally ecstatic about it, I might swap my current rig into it, because the existing case is falling apart, and get a better case for my new comp...but we'll see. Must decide on hard drive as well.

Being that I'm going to start college here soon, will have no time for MMORPGs, probably start playing a FPS...so whatever the newest and most graphically demanding FPS is :)

True. Thats good choosing the LCD and the videocard together so you get the best performing card for your resolution. I would go with a Samsung from my experiences for the LCD.

I've heard nothing but good things about Samsung. At the time I was looking at getting an LCD years ago, Samsung was where it was at because of their ultra-low 8ms response time... I guess 2ms is now common? Jeez.

Ok that monitors resolution is 1680x1050. If you get thay you dont need more then a 512mb or 640mb videocard. So stay in that size range. Do you need help picking out which card?

Yes I suppose I do. :)
and I'm pretty sure between my motherboard only supporting CrossfireX, and my PSU only supporting SLI, that I'm stuck with only running 1 video card, which is fine.

Is this not a great monitor? Should I look for one with higher resolutions?

No , your not gonna find a higher resolution in that size and that resolution looks great, you dont wanna go any higher because youll have to get a bigger videocard.(more $)

What was the search process you went through to decide on that video card you suggested? Just wondering.

Alright, it's all done. I updated the OP with everything I bought, and added it up. The hard drive is kind of a placeholder (I ran out of money) heh. But everything's pretty much as it's going to be forever (Until I build a whole new computer), other than hard drive and some fans.

Back