• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for i5 mobo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, it definitely should. As always required over in our little hole called the water cooling section - Take pics!!

I take it that the I7 860 is the sweet spot as it includes hyper threading?

I take it that the I7 860 is the sweet spot as it includes hyper threading?

That it does. Not yet sure if it's worth the ~$100 price premium some sites are charging for it over the i5 though, but the higher base clock is nice.

That it does. Not yet sure if it's worth the ~$100 price premium some sites are charging for it over the i5 though, but the higher base clock is nice.

It has a higher bclk? So the multi isn't what is giving it a better oc?

ALso it includes hyper threading, and that's moot for the most part but I'm hearing some people's oc's suffer without it, at least one member here claimed that. The price difference for me is approximately 69$ if I buy the combo, plus I get a heatsink they'll upgrade the one currently on my amd box. I can then give the old heatsink plus the old cpu to a friend of mine who's still rocking single core amd64 939. I may charge my friend the price of the old heatsink so it levels it out for me... after all he's getting a cpu and cooling upgrade.

it's only fair. :D

Whoops I mistyped, I was referring to the stock clock speed of 2.8 GHz on the 860 vs. 2.66 on the 750.

Okay, now comes the hard part:

Which should I get:

i7 920 + X58 SLI LE by eVGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.251091

or

i7 860 + P55 SLI FTW by eVGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259390

Difference is 5$, with the P55 + i7 being cheaper. I could care less between the two, the i7 would be easier as I have an i7 mounting kit for my water block, both have the same amount of sata ports, and seem to have the same features.

It's just, which is better? What will I appreciate more? I will go sli at some point. I prefer the layout on the p55 board but I'd be happy to make an exception if the i7 is that much better.

Alternatively, and for about 165$ more, I can get the classified E760. I may make this decision.

Back