• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on PSU for new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

I'm building a new system (AthlonXP 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+, ABIT NF7-S v2, Buffalo PC3200 512 Meg, Thermalright SLK-800A with a Thermaltake Smart Fan II fan, 2 5400 RPM hds, 1 7200rpm HD, DVD+RW 4x2.4x16, CD-RW 52x24x52, ATI Radeon 9600Pro*) and was wondering if the Fortron FSP350-60PN 350W would be good or if I should get a cheaper 350w or a 400w PSU instead.

------------------
*I'm going to be getting this in a few months but for now I'm going to be using an old ATI Rage128 Pro PCI

Minor tip, save yourself $3 and go with the Sparkle-branded version. If you'd like to save still more money, I get by more than well with the $27 300W FSP with the rig in my sig...

The Fortron 350 would do, but it might be close to its limits... the 530 would be a little better IMO. The Antec Truepowers above 430w would also be worth looking into.

Gautam said:
Minor tip, save yourself $3 and go with the Sparkle-branded version.

But you need to pay a $6 shipping charge with the Sparkle vs. free shipping on the Fortron and the Fortron has an adjustable fan(not that it really matters to me).

Gautam said:
My 300W doesn't reach its limits until 2.6ghz+...

But you only have two drives(1 HD listed + 1 assumed optical drive) vs the 5 drives I'm going to be putting in mine(3 HDs + 2 optical writers)

How about this 420 Watt PSU by ThermalTake? Or should I go for this Antec 430 Watt? I'm on a budget (already about $10 over) and I'm really pushing it (price-wise).

Edit: How about this 400 Watt Vantec? Will 400 watts be enough?

Last edited:
Hard drives draw at most 30 watts or so; a negligible amount in the grand scheme of things, just about nothing when compared to the 170+W the processor draws. Any 350W Fortron will definitely serve you well. If you feel that its not enough for your needs(which I assure you it is) this 530W will surpass all else, for a couple of bucks less.

from this day on, im gonna suggest 400w psu's or more.

i just bought a fortron 350 and im not too pleased with it

maybe im too extreme of an O'C er or something but she cant standup to my configuration soo, gonna grab something over 480w so i can run more voltage under this good stepping .

Back