• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need general advice overclocking AMD 1090t [BSOD]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, that overclock was not stable at all, I went to play left 4 dead 2 and during a lot of action I dropped to 20 fps. So I shut down and reset my CMOS (saved my settings first) and now I rarely dip below 60 (normal) I also left the ram timings the same to see if they might have had something to do with the instability. My fan speeds don't show in HWmonitor because I have them connected to molex so they run fast all the time. Should I use the chassis ports on the mobo? Do you want me to set my ram settings to auto and put the clock speeds back and try again? Because with the configuration we had before (overclocked CPU and RAM) my computer couldn't handle the temps from prime95 after 3 minutes.

Well if the fans are hooked to molex they are running at full speed anyway. I cannot figure out why your temps are so high, especially since you put everything back to stock. That stumps me. Make sure your coolers' fans are not fighting against one another and make sure your case fans are blowing against the coolers fans when they are trying to exhaust.

I think you may have misunderstood me (bad wording on my part). My temps are fine back at stock, they have a hard time getting past 50c :D

I'm going to set all my ram timings back to auto mode and put the clock back the way we had it. CPU 3.8ghz 1.4225 v CPUNB 2200mhz etc. etc. then run prime again and see how it looks.

There is an option in my BIOS called "CPU thermal throttle" do you have any idea what this is? It is currently enabled by default.

Results after 20 minutes of prime. For some reason my NB frequency didn't go through when I set it to 2200 mhz in the bios... :shrug:
Same results as before (before RAM OC) the temps are fine until prime reaches the 8k testing phase, then they go up in to the 60c range. Why does this overclocking **** have to be so hard?? :mad:

Attachments

• CPU-z 4-22.png
    CPU-z 4-22.png
    140 KB · Views: 29
Thermal throttling is a safety technology that lower frequency and voltage of the CPU cores to protect against heat damage. You can disable it or you may also be able adjust the threshold temp where it kicks in.

Should I set my load line calibration any certain way? I don't know what it does, but you mentioned something about it a little earlier in the thread.

Interesting, I was running prime with the same settings I posted in the last picture and after about 3 minutes the computer just turned off. No BSOD, error, or anything. It just turned off. So I booted it back up and tried again, same result. What could cause the computer to just shut off like that? Is my hardware ****ed?

Should I set my load line calibration any certain way? I don't know what it does, but you mentioned something about it a little earlier in the thread.

I always wondered this too, actually. The LLC allows the motherboard to increase voltage a little bit on it's own to try to keep the CPU stable at those higher clock speeds. So, for instance, I have my voltage set to 1.4, and LLC is set so that the system decides how much it should do, but I could also set it to low or high settings. When I push the CPU doing like prime, it won't actually run at 1.4, it will boost the voltage to 1.45-1.47 at times in an effort to remain stable.

But as far as what is preferred for LLC settings, I have no idea what is recommended.

Well, I guess I'm not gonna be able to get to 3.8 stable. Especially since summer is about to start and this particular room gets HOT. I'm at 3.6 ghz SUPER STABLE. Been running prime for 20 minutes and the CPU hasnt hit 50c yet. Gonna run it for 30 minutes. I might bump up to 3.7 but 3.8 just seems to need too much voltage and get too hot.

Stock everything but voltage and multiplier

One question, is it possible to set my CPU to have turbo core on to bump to 3.8 if needed? I read somewhere that you can set what turbo core does specifically, so you can choose the multiplier and voltage.

Attachments

• asdfasdf.png
    asdfasdf.png
    104 KB · Views: 23
You can tune the individual core frequencies and voltages if the motherboard has those features in bios but that's a pretty high end board feature.

Back