• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP!!! I overclocked my CPU and it is glitching out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MickeyPC

Registered
I recently overclocked my AMD FX-8350 cpu on my gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 motherboard to 4.3MHz without changing any voltages. For some reason, whenever and everything time I log onto my user account on windows 7, after a good 3 minutes that clock speed will go from a solid 4.3MHz to a constant 3.6MHz. Once at 3.6MHz, it will not budge no matter what, unless you restart the computer, in which the whole process starts all over again. Please help me! Thank you!! :)

Please list your full system components, as seen in my signature.

Processor-------------------AMD FX-8350 Black Edition @[email protected]
Motherboard----------------Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
CPU Cooling-----------------Cooler Master Hyper 212
Video------------------------AMD SAPPHIRE R9 270
OS Drive--------------------1TB HDD
Storage Drive---------------1TB HDD
Power-----------------------CX750M
Memory---------------------1x8GB
Case-------------------------

Motherboard----------------Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 << ON the motherboard as mounted in most upright cases there is a PCB revision at the left lower but I/O edge of the motherboard. Need that Revision number. It makes a HUGE difference in what to expect from a UD3 motherboard.

RGone...

The 212 will struggle to keep that CPU cool without very good case airflow.
Can you post a picture of the inside of your case and note all the fans you have and which direction they move air?

Rev.=4.0

- - - Updated - - -

How can I take a picture & post it? I am new to overclockers.com

Rev.=4.0

- - - Updated - - -

How can I take a picture & post it? I am new to overclockers.com

When typing your post, there is a button at the top of the post box that says "Insert Image" when you hover over it.

I gotta head out at Midnight, which is in 7 minutes, needless to say, I really need your help, if you could just throw a whole bunch of information at me that I can try to see if they work, that would be amazing.... Or if you can for sure promise me you could help me tomorrow.... Which ever works for you. Thanks for trying to help!! I hope to see you again :)

Are you sure that's a Hyper 212? It looks like like a Hyper TX3.

What are the details on the fans in that case? I think I see two in the front and one in the rear?
What sizes? What direction are they moving air?

Don't worry, we'll be around tomorrow too :)

You are right, it is a hyper tx3, I have 2 intake fans in the front, and I exaust fan in the back. The Upper back exaust fan came with the case, so I dont imagine it is a great fan, but I did buy aftermarket LED fans to use as intakes in the lower front. All of the 3 fans are 120mm.

Alright, that TX3 is definitely going to struggle.
What are your temperatures when the drop in speed occurs?
You can check this in HWMonitor and post a screenshot of the program for us to see.

Temperature isn't an issue, I idle at 50c and then when under extereme loads like prime95 my max temp is 63c. But I don't usually see a difference in temperatures.... Let me check...

That looks like throttling by the board. Have you enabled HPC and APM in the bios?

APM is enabled, but I disabled HPC

***I am also on Tomshardware.com asking the same questions, and one guy is telling me that I should never change the base clock of 200, which I did, and that I should go back and reset everything, and then overclock only chaning the multiplier, which in my case, is 20. 200x20=4000, so if I change that to 22, then 200x22=4400, or a 4.4hmz overclock. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're inexperienced using multiplier only is the easiest way to proceed. By changing the base clock you are also changing the NB/HT and memory speeds so using multi only will take the others out of the question so you really only need to deal with V_Core and possibly CPU_NB voltages to achieve stability. So yes it would be the easiest way to start. But that's not what is causing your speed drop. Is that a good enough answer?

EDIT: you'll need HPC enabled

Okay, I will enable HPC... Thank you so much for your help. Currently I reset everything, went through, and changed the multiplier from 20 to 21.5 for a 4.3 oc... As of right now, it is working and I havent seen any problems YET. Lets hope I dont see any and wont see any in the future. Again thank you, and I will keep you updated. :)

**What exactly is HPC and why is it important to have enabled?

Whelp that didn't fix it... As of right now the normal bug outs are going away, but now new problems have risen. My core speed went down to 3.4mhz and now my desktop picture is all black. I havent enabled HPC yet, is that what is causing this?

Back