• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU, need advice between two choices and the memory to go with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I honestly feel like you made the wrong choice by trying to upgrade your CPU. If it was my money, I'd be looking to sell the 960 and upgrade to a 970. The performance gain from 960 to 970 would be greater than replacing the 965 BE. There might be slight bottlenecking but it'll still be superior to the 8350+960 combo.

I don't know how much money you're working with at this point but if you sell the 960 for around $150, which is reasonable, and you have $300 then you could get both the 970 and the 8350 that you originally wanted.

I honestly feel like you made the wrong choice by trying to upgrade your CPU. If it was my money, I'd be looking to sell the 960 and upgrade to a 970. The performance gain from 960 to 970 would be greater than replacing the 965 BE. There might be slight bottlenecking but it'll still be superior to the 8350+960 combo.

I don't know how much money you're working with at this point but if you sell the 960 for around $150, which is reasonable, and you have $300 then you could get both the 970 and the 8350 that you originally wanted.

Thanks for the thoughts bro, much appreciated. I think the mistake primarily was keeping my old motherboard and not having the money to get a new mobo + CPU regardless if the 6300 was DOA. I like my super-super clocked 960, it does everything I need to play a modded Skyrim, Fallout 4, and No Man's Sky when it comes out. I don't play anything else modern so I don't need a better GPU. That's what my XBOX One is for, modern gaming. :)

We just did our taxes and I've got some $$$ to spend but I'm leaning towards picking up a semi-auto rifle and leaving my PC as-is for another year. However if I decide to spend $$$ on computer upgrades it'll only be a new AM3+ mobo + CPU. :D

Back