• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU, need advice between two choices and the memory to go with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JCE3000GT, I don't feel the Fx 4xxx should be in the conversation, mainly due to the slight price difference between the Fx 43xx and the Fx 63xx chip. DNRDustin, does make a good point in most cases a Fx 63xx chip will do everything you need for gaming as a Fx 83xx chip. I have both the Fx 6300 and Fx 8350 and while gaming for example BF4 I do not see or feel any difference when playing on either. Unless a game can take advantage of all the "cores" of the Fx 83xx you most likely will not see much difference between the two. That said every Fx 63xx I've seen come through this forum will need slightly more voltage for the same Oc as a Fx 83xx. It may be, as Caddi stated, because they are just Fx chips that failed as 8 cores. Most of the time, you can Oc a Fx 63xx slightly higher on X cooling then a Fx 83xx.

Unless one is utilizing a program that will run on all 8 "cores" such as rendering videos or doing some mathematical computations you likely will not see much difference between a Fx 63xx and a Fx 83xx chip.

Don't forget dev work + virtual machines :p

I can do some serious core consumption contributing to open source projects such as SWGEMU where you have to compile and test changes made to the source code serverside software then run it in a VM to test its functionality :D

Yup Manny, but the VRM sink in that one should be the same as the 970-ud3p, and was one reason I did not go with the UD3 or the UD3P for my build. The UD5 has a heatpipe and beefier VRM sink.

he has a Giga 990Fx UD3, IDK why DNR thought it was the 970a-d3.

I was comparing his configuration to how I had MINE at one point. I was saying that on MY 970a-d3 Rev1.0, moving my AIO from the back to the top of my case and replacing it with just a fan greatly benefited MY 970a-d3's vrm section(I also added heatsinks). So in summing, I was making a comparison of MY crappy 970a-d3 board and configuration, to his 990fx

Calling my 990fx crappy?! I'm kidding. I'm going to run tests before and after I move my rad to the top/higher. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the CPU purchase... I don't know what's holding me back. LOL

Calling my 990fx crappy?! I'm kidding. I'm going to run tests before and after I move my rad to the top/higher. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the CPU purchase... I don't know what's holding me back. LOL

If it is a cost thing microcenter usually has some good deals on CPUs, but they are in store only...

Nowhere near as crappy as my 970a-d3 was, and i got a solid 600mhz OC on a 6200 with it. Bottom line is with everything auto, your board and processor will protect itself. But airflow and actively cooling your vrm is something your board needs regardless of the cpu you have in it. I'd bet my bottom dollar thats the reason the rig in my sig wasn't stable at stock. You've pretty much been talked out of a 9xxx at least, right? Way to much power for your board to supply it.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, especially when one is Ocing these Fx 8xxx chips regardless of the board. If one is using H20 to cool the Cpu the VRM/Nb heatsinks lose air normally flowing over that part. Therefore, they will run about 10c hotter then when one is on air cooling, having active cooling on the VRM/Nb heatsink will greatly help. Even on my CHV when I first ran the 8350 on it with H2O, my socket temperature was 18-20c warmer then my Core/Package temps. When adding a fan to the VRM/Nb heatsink my socket temp was 8-10 c warmer then the core temps.

I'll also add the Fx 6xxx chips tend to put less stress on the socket and the temps on the socket are usually inline with the core.

My 2 cents: I'd grab a used PhenomII X6 1090T or 1100T for a hundred bucks, overclock it to 4.2/4.3GHz (should be no problem with the H80i), keep the 8Gigs of DDR (no need for more if the sole purpose is gaming), and save money for a real faster/better Intel platform...

^That's not a bad idea at all. The socket temp may put a limit to the OC well before 4 GHz, though, if it isn't provided with some airflow.

I built a rig for a XMas present a couple years back with the 990FXA UD3 Rev4 with an FX8150. Though not a great board it will handle an FX8XXX chip. In this case with an H100 cooler and the case I used which had previously been modified to allow cooling to the rear of the motherboard socket area I was able to get prime stable 4+ hours at 4.6 - 4.7GHZ. There is a thread here somewhere if need be I can find it backing this up.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...byte-GA-990FXA-UD3(REV4)?highlight=990FXA+UD3

As I have stated in that thread this is not a board I would go out of my way to recommend but is a possibility for someone that is on a tight budget and with all the issues Gigabyte has had with their board I would only refer to the REV4 with that recommendation.

Thanks for the posts guys. My first post disappeared--maybe deleted by accident. Anyway, I ended up buying an XBOX One with my $$$ and have been busy. :)

Now that No Man's Sky will be out soon and Fallout 4 is starting to get some good mods I am back thinking about upgrading the CPU.

My system specs have not changed so here is what I'm looking at. Also note, this CPU will be the last upgrade for the motherboard and I will need to keep it for at least 18-24 months.

Here are my two choices. Please keep in mind I have $75 in Amazon gift cards that will be funding this so I cannot buy the CPU anywhere else nor spend more than the $99 these two cost.

FX-4350 BE Unlocked:
AMD FX 4350 Unlocked Quad Core Processor 4.2 4 FD4350FRHKBOX, Black Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLBZAWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_2LeOwbVZM10Q4

FX-6300 BE:
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_BMeOwbEFYN6V4

What are your thoughts...

Get the 6300 and overclock it, you will see gains over the 4350 in just about anything.

Why ~700mhz less ? Although the 6300 gets a little hotter you should be able to OC it at 4.6ghz/4.8ghz on air ?

Thanks guys. The method to my madness was since just about all games do not use more than 4 cores I thought the extra speed would be worth getting the 4350. I think I will need 4.2-4.5ghz for Fallout 4 and any games that come out this year that I will not get for my XBOX One. Is the 6300 minus the two extra cores going to perform well enough to not bottleneck my GPU and not fry my VRM?

it will not bottleneck your card.
the 4 cores are failed 6 cores so you might find that the 6300 will clock better than a 4350 with less vcore and run cooler at the same clock speed.

Back