• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU, need advice between two choices and the memory to go with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it will not bottleneck your card.
the 4 cores are failed 6 cores so you might find that the 6300 will clock better than a 4350 with less vcore and run cooler at the same clock speed.

Just to make sure I understand...

If I OC the 6300 to match the 4350's clock speed it will run cooler and use less volts? I will assume my H80 cooler is still viable for this..?

Just to make sure I understand...

If I OC the 6300 to match the 4350's clock speed it will run cooler and use less volts? I will assume my H80 cooler is still viable for this..?
With all 6 cores running the 6300 will likely run hotter then the 4350 on 4 cores. That said it's a silicon lottery, you may get a 6300 that Oc's on low voltage or one that needs a lot of volts. Same goes for the 4350, which makes it tough to compare. The H80 should be good for a mid 4 Ghz oc on either chip maybe more depending on what I mentioned above.

With all 6 cores running the 6300 will likely run hotter then the 4350 on 4 cores. That said it's a silicon lottery, you may get a 6300 that Oc's on low voltage or one that needs a lot of volts. Same goes for the 4350, which makes it tough to compare. The H80 should be good for a mid 4 Ghz oc on either chip maybe more depending on what I mentioned above.

Mid 4ghz is well within the realm of reason. My 8320e did 4.5ghz on my H80 before the H80 kicked the bucket.

I will be ordering the 6300 CPU this evening or sometime this weekend so I hope I'm making the right choice. LOL

That's good to know, thank you.

Mid 4ghz is well within the realm of reason. My 8320e did 4.5ghz on my H80 before the H80 kicked the bucket.

Ok cool. Offtopic, how long did your H80 last? And what warning signs should I look for besides the obvious higher temps? I am new to non-air cooled so I want to be prepared in case this starts to go. I inherited my rig so next to HDDs & 2 fans nothing in this system is anything I bought.

I will be ordering the 6300 CPU this evening or sometime this weekend so I hope I'm making the right choice. LOL

That's good to know, thank you.

Ok cool. Offtopic, how long did your H80 last? And what warning signs should I look for besides the obvious higher temps? I am new to non-air cooled so I want to be prepared in case this starts to go. I inherited my rig so next to HDDs & 2 fans nothing in this system is anything I bought.

When I migrated to a new case, I noticed some residue near the hose connectors on the block/pump. Then a few days later one of the fans stopped working via the integrated fan controller. There was also a slight coolant smell near the hose inputs on the block.

When I migrated to a new case, I noticed some residue near the hose connectors on the block/pump. Then a few days later one of the fans stopped working via the integrated fan controller. There was also a slight coolant smell near the hose inputs on the block.

Yikes!! Guess I'll need to pay close attention since my H80 is rather old. Thanks for giving me some things to lookout for. :)

My AIO did spend a fair amount of time in transit in a moving truck (Texas > Colorado, in early May, a week in transit). There is a good possibility it experienced freezing temps towards the end of the trip, as it was quite cold.

It is possible between that and living its life in my super-cold basement shortened its life...

Duly noted. :)

I ordered my 6300 last night and my god I love Amazon prime because its at my door right now. Too bad I'm at work now and leaving to go to a party afterwards so I cannot install it. :( I plan on running a before and after test with my highly modded Skyrim to see what differences there are in both performance and temps. Should be around Tuesday or Wednesday before I can post about it.

On another note, will my Phenom II I have now work in an AM3 socket or is it AM3+ only?

Duly noted. :)

I ordered my 6300 last night and my god I love Amazon prime because its at my door right now. Too bad I'm at work now and leaving to go to a party afterwards so I cannot install it. :( I plan on running a before and after test with my highly modded Skyrim to see what differences there are in both performance and temps. Should be around Tuesday or Wednesday before I can post about it.

On another note, will my Phenom II I have now work in an AM3 socket or is it AM3+ only?
PII should work on the AM3 board. You're going to love the 6300 JCE these Fx chips get a bad rap. I'm actually using my 6300 in my daily rig right now. Real world usage they are really good chips. I use my Fx 6300 and 8350, when it's not being benched, over my 4770k and 6700k, I like it that much.

PII should work on the AM3 board. You're going to love the 6300 JCE these Fx chips get a bad rap. I'm actually using my 6300 in my daily rig right now. Real world usage they are really good chips. I use my Fx 6300 and 8350, when it's not being benched, over my 4770k and 6700k, I like it that much.

Thanks bro, on both points. I'm happy my Phenom II X4 965 BE will work on my slightly older gaming rig that my wife now has. Will there be any performance or temp hits over a Phenom II X2 555 BE by sticking it in a non-AM3+ socket? I don't really know much about this architecture (AMx).

Thanks bro, on both points. I'm happy my Phenom II X4 965 BE will work on my slightly older gaming rig that my wife now has. Will there be any performance or temp hits over a Phenom II X2 555 BE by sticking it in a non-AM3+ socket? I don't really know much about this architecture (AMx).

Well, the Phenom II line of processors is an AM3 processor, not an AM3+ processor. So, there shouldn't really be any difference in running it on an AM3 board versus running it on an AM3+ board as they came out before AM3+ was introduced (unless they put some performance or power-draw tweaks that I'm not aware of into AM3+ to optimize the socket for AM3 processors). They also work on AM2+ socket boards, providing the board has an appropriate BIOS installed to support the CPU, but the AM3 processors did have a higher minimum power draw (CPU Voltage) on AM2+ motherboards (meaning that the idle voltage is higher on an AM2+ board than an AM3 board (with the same processor)).

Last edited:
Well, the Phenom II line of processors is an AM3 processor, not an AM3+ processor. So, there shouldn't really be any difference in running it on an AM3 board versus running it on an AM3+ board as they came out before AM3+ was introduced (unless they put some performance or power-draw tweaks that I'm not aware of into AM3+ to optimize the socket for AM3 processors). They also work on AM2+ socket boards, providing the board has an appropriate BIOS installed to support the CPU, but the AM3 processors did have a higher minimum power draw (CPU Voltage) on AM2+ motherboards (meaning that the idle voltage is higher on an AM2+ board than an AM3 board (with the same processor)).

Awesome thanks! That's good news.

I installed the new processor and my machine wouldn't POST. I re-seated it 2 more times and nothing so I put my old 965 BE back in and it (obviously) works perfectly since I'm typing this message and requested a refund from Amazon. I'm disappointed and discouraged from even bothering to do that again--I just don't have the patience for this. I think I'll just use this machine as-is and build a new one when the time comes and I'm out of date. Thanks to you all for the help, I appreciate it.

*edit*
Oh, my TMPIN2 sensor has increased temps from 41ºC to 58ºC under the same sort of load... Hope I didn't F something up...

Last edited:
did you do a cmos reset and reset the bios to default??????

could be a quick fix.

Yup according to Giga that is the BIOS that should run it.

Yea, that's what I saw before I bought it. I wanted to make sure my BIOS liked that CPU.

did you do a cmos reset and reset the bios to default??????

could be a quick fix.

No I didn't. I've already boxed it back up for return shipping.

This bring me to this question. When I turn the computer on should I see something or a completely blank screen even if the CMOS wasn't reset? Because I got nothing when I turned it on, no video, not even my monitor identifying that there was a signal.

When you turn on the PC the first thing activated is the CPU. So if the CPU is dead or not recognized you'll get nothing on screen. Most likely fans etc,, wil spin but no post to BIOS. Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. Was that a new CPU or through a reseller on Amazon ?

A new CPU but from another seller on Amazon. Non of the seals were broken not did I see any marks or damage on it.

I already got the refund from Amazon. So alls well that ends well I guess. :)

Back