• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU, need advice between two choices and the memory to go with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe Rev 1 is fine, most motherboards even the higher end ones will benefit from having active cooling on the VRM/Nb heatsinks. At stock clocks I don't think you'll have any issues.

Would good case fans be enough to keep then cool or is there something else I can do?

Since you already have cooling, I might suggest saving a few bucks and getting this cat if you can score one of the million 20 dollar off coupons that tigerdirect used to send out all the time. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9494387&CatId=11857

I got the 8310 version of this last year for a build and overclocked it to 4.5 with a 212 evo and a lesser board than yours. Just another option.

That is an intriguing option. I'll definitely consider it. :)

Edit: sorry, missed the part about not overclocking. But I'm leaving because this is ocf got dangit.

I don't get the reference... :( What is ocf?

I believe Rev 1 is fine, most motherboards even the higher end ones will benefit from having active cooling on the VRM/Nb heatsinks. At stock clocks I don't think you'll have any issues.
This ^^^
Put a fan on the VRM's and NB and you're all set.
Don't believe everything you read on teh Google. ;)

This ^^^
Put a fan on the VRM's and NB and you're all set.
Don't believe everything you read on teh Google. ;)

lol Yea, I know google is similar to Wiki and should only be taken half seriously. Still, I originally found this very site on google when searching for stuff computer related stuff. :D

Forgive the dumb, REALLY DUMB question but I'm assuming you mean have case fans that are point towards the NB/VRM rather than actually physically ON these right? Yea yea, I know I win the dumbest question of the month award. :D

The only dumb question is the question that doesn't get asked. ;)

However you have to do it, get air blowing right on these items. If you have to actually mount a fan on it, like most of us do, so be it. If you don't, more power to you, but the necessity is there. It doesn't have to be a 120mm case fan. It can be as small as a couple 40mm fans. This will depend on the amount of room you have and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to look. Apply yourself, necessity is the mother of invention. :)

The only dumb question is the question that doesn't get asked. ;)

However you have to do it, get air blowing right on these items. If you have to actually mount a fan on it, like most of us do, so be it. If you don't, more power to you, but the necessity is there. It doesn't have to be a 120mm case fan. It can be as small as a couple 40mm fans. This will depend on the amount of room you have and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to look. Apply yourself, necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Thanks. :D I think I'll find the most CFM case fan I can that doesn't have a bunch of noise to use for the side panel of my case. That should probably help a ton. I'll have to do some research on how to actually put fans on top of these though if my side case fan isn't enough...

Looking at the inside of my case (minus the bottom video card) I don't know how much a side case fan will help. Here's a link to the image of my mobo too for reference.

image.jpg

Yeah, your AIO blocks everything from getting to the VRM area.
The areas I circled are the areas that need air flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you move your AIO to the top to allow more space?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, your AIO blocks everything from getting to the VRM area.
The areas I circled are the areas that need air flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you move your AIO to the top to allow more space?
Good point Scotty and we have seen when one goes with AIO cooling or Custom Water the VRM/Nb temps will run a bit hotter. Reason being the air that would have been flowing over those areas with an Air heatsink is no longer there. I have a 80mm fan zip tied to my Vrm heatsink, it's not pretty but it definitely helps. You could always move one of the top 120mm fans to where the AIO is now and raise the AIO up to the top rear of the case.

Wow, thanks guys that makes good sense. I'll definitely need to move the rad to the top then take that top fan and move it down. I should try that now with my current setup and run bench marking to see if I see a temp difference. Maybe run P95 before and after to get an accurate reading with the same ambient temp. :) I'll definitely post the results within the next few days. :D

The other option os move the AIO to the top of the case, if it will fit and stick a 120 MM fan where the AIO is now. Having the 120 mm behind the VRM heatsink may move enough air that you don't need to strap a fan to the heatsink.

I think you'll find that if you make those changes alone, you'll see a difference.

The other option os move the AIO to the top of the case, if it will fit and stick a 120 MM fan where the AIO is now. Having the 120 mm behind the VRM heatsink may move enough air that you don't need to strap a fan to the heatsink.

That is a pretty solid plan - it will give you direct air flow over the VRM heatsink and would provide some nice fresh air for the AIO.

I don't see why everyone pushes the 8 cores on gamers, unless you plan to stream and run 4 more things in the background it's probably not what you need(I could be wrong). Move your aio up top(I was choking the vrm's on my 970a-d3 just like you are), place some exhaust fans back there(make sure you have good intake fans to compliment them), get your hands dirty and see if you can get your CPU up to 4ghz. It's stupid how much happier your mobo will be if you actively cool your vrm's.

The 220w 9370 may not do so well in your board, but you don't plan to OC so IDK. The 8350 is over kill for your purpose IMO, and as far as I know it can't handle 32gig's of dual channel above 1333(I may be wrong, I'm curious about this so somebody correct me if I am). In any case, 32 gig's won't positively enhance your gaming experience. Now if you want to build a video game, that's another story.

Last edited:
you go with an 8xxx cpu because they are the better pieces, a 6 core failed as an 8 core, you can turn off the cores you don't need.

ram will get you an astounding ZIPPPPPPPOOOOOOOO, as long as you have enough, 8 gigs, 1333 is fine for game.
you want the fastest cores you can get, more than 4 are not needed, but buying the 8 core will get you there with less vcore and less heat.

I wasnt aware that they down binned that way, or at least didn't think they did anymore. So a 4350 is just an 8350 that failed as both an 8 and 6 core, and then had 2 modules locked down?

Last edited:
Managed to delete my post... So here goes, again:

-The FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx are not 100% true octa-core, since each of the four Piledriver units have only one floating point unit each. Thus, in some cases they're effectively four-core processors. This is why it's not (IMO) overkill to go for an AMD octa-core. For single-GPU gaming the FX-63xx should be enough, though.

-Games that have been optimized for PS4 and the like are at least rumoured to benefit from more than four cores even on a PC. So, depending on what kind of gaming one is planning to do, the octa-cores might make sense.

Managed to delete my post... So here goes, again:

-The FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx are not 100% true octa-core, since each of the four Piledriver units have only one floating point unit each. Thus, in some cases they're effectively four-core processors. This is why it's not (IMO) overkill to go for an AMD octa-core. For single-GPU gaming the FX-63xx should be enough, though.

-Games that have been optimized for PS4 and the like are at least rumoured to benefit from more than four cores even on a PC. So, depending on what kind of gaming one is planning to do, the octa-cores might make sense.

Interesting reading! There are a few games that I want to play and 2 of them were optimized for a PS4/XBOX One like Mad Max and No Man's Sky. I wonder if those and Witcher III will benefit from more than four cores..?

you go with an 8xxx cpu because they are the better pieces, a 6 core failed as an 8 core, you can turn off the cores you don't need.

ram will get you an astounding ZIPPPPPPPOOOOOOOO, as long as you have enough, 8 gigs, 1333 is fine for game.
you want the fastest cores you can get, more than 4 are not needed, but buying the 8 core will get you there with less vcore and less heat.

Also because getting into the 8 series is like 5 dollars more than a 6350. I honestly can't think of a single reason to get a 6 series if you already have decent cooling and a nice board, which OP already does.

Look at games like FO4. It will take full advantage of 8 threads if Bethesda's rec'd specs are accurate.

JCE3000GT, I don't feel the Fx 4xxx should be in the conversation, mainly due to the slight price difference between the Fx 43xx and the Fx 63xx chip. DNRDustin, does make a good point in most cases a Fx 63xx chip will do everything you need for gaming as a Fx 83xx chip. I have both the Fx 6300 and Fx 8350 and while gaming for example BF4 I do not see or feel any difference when playing on either. Unless a game can take advantage of all the "cores" of the Fx 83xx you most likely will not see much difference between the two. That said every Fx 63xx I've seen come through this forum will need slightly more voltage for the same Oc as a Fx 83xx. It may be, as Caddi stated, because they are just Fx chips that failed as 8 cores. Most of the time, you can Oc a Fx 63xx slightly higher on X cooling then a Fx 83xx.

Unless one is utilizing a program that will run on all 8 "cores" such as rendering videos or doing some mathematical computations you likely will not see much difference between a Fx 63xx and a Fx 83xx chip.

Back