• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help OC'ng AMD Phenom BE 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure. I'll check bios when I reboot. I got one image in there I didn't intend (Prime95 test) so here's the main CPU-ID screen and speed fan while running Prime95 at 3.9 You might notice I pushed HT Link down since I was kicking FSB up. Not sure I did the right thing leaving memory frequency on auto either. I wanted to reduce ram frequency to give the FSB more headroom.

CPU-2.PNG

3.9Ghz Temps running Prime95.PNG

Does not have Load Line Calibration setting that I could find in BIOS. I changed fans to Q-Fan control set to "optimal" for both case fans and CPU fan, turned on Prime95 and Peak Temp was 51C - Low Temp 49C - and average 50C. Good enough unless really pressing it for everyday use with fans quieted down.

Optimal Fan Setting Temps running Prime95 @ 3.9.PNG

Last edited:
The reason most of us in here do not use SpeedFan is just what you see with the capture in post #22.

Listed is Vcore 1 = No reading.
Listed is Vcore 2 = 1.57 Volts = I would hesitate to use that much Vcore for long.
And listed below Vbat is Vcore = 1.5 Volts.

Terribly misleading and not what I would want telling me voltage of my cpu. HWMonitor, free version from CPUID com is what most of use and urge those we are trying to help to do likewise. So we are all on the same page.

Thanks for the info on speedfan. I noticed different CPU voltage readings between speedfan and CPU-ID. Bios showed much lower voltage also I have HW monitor installed so I'll check voltage and temps with it also. Last time I OC'd a CPU was an Opteron 165 in 2007 and speedfan was commonly used. Things have changed since then. In the CPU-ID snip a few posts up it shows core voltage at 1.496 versus speedfan's 1.57. I'll just blow speedfan away. Appreciate the info.

Last edited:
Yep. Here's the voltages from HWMonitor. Thanks again for the heads up. Note-I've got the fans dialed back to reduce the noise. I uninstalled speedfan.

hwmonitor.PNG

Are those voltages at idle or under load? I'd like to see that again when running a litttle Prime95.

Fans speeds may mean something to you, but mostly we hardly glance at fan settings (I know I don't) but we are very interested in Volts and CPU CORE TEMPS.

Not enough voltaqe drop to consider putting anymore voltage in. I mentioned fan speeds because if I had fans wide open the temps would have been much lower. Thanks for everything. If I can still do it I'll put solved in the subject.

I know you said it was hitting 50C on the cores, but your images above keep cutting off the core temps just below in HWMonitor.

I would be impressed if on air it was that low, but it's not unthinkable. If that is the case, you could keep pushing the FSB a few ticks as previously mentioned. You have the same 956 BE C3 as I do, 4.3Ghz was easy to hit, I run 4.2Ghz 24/7. As long as your ram and board are happy an temps stay good you should push it a bit, there is an easy few 100mhz in there. I know people had previously mentioned systems being fried for the last 100mhz, but there is a bit more than that left in it if you are willing to try. With your current voltage setting you shouldn't need to increase it any further for that additional headroom, so if you do try know that your voltage is good, very unlikely of frying something since you have already been running at that.

Just for the heck of it I pushed FSB up to 215 and it failed Prime95 in about 5 minutes. Same for 213. Then I looked at what 212 versus 211 would give me and it was 3.921 vs 3.903 or 0.018 Ghz. It ran Prime 95 for 4 hours at 3.903 and I am not going to run Prime95 again for .018Ghz.

I am also able to cut my fans back to "Optimal" in ASUS Q-Fan and reduce the fan noise a ton with out going over 51C running Prime95. With fans full blast running Prime95 at 3.903 temps are in the 45-47C range.

I am not particularly happy with this overclock and I am not sure I like the way I approached it. But I chopped FSB to 200 and all other settings to normal (except voltage - left the increases in place) and raised the multiplier and couldn't get 4 Ghz to pass Prime95 either. Here's snip at current 3.9 running Prime95 with fans dialed back:

HWMonitor-Prime95.PNG

Here are temps running Prime95 with fans full blast. I let Prime95 run long enough to stabilize temps (about 4 test cycles):

3.9Ghz Temps running Prime95 fans on full speed.PNG

Last edited:
That is correct, CPU-NB. From all your previous posts it does not look like you had changed this. You are currently giving the CPU enough volts, though in for the board to be stable with any higher FSB you may need to give it that .1v

Yeah, unless you have the CPUNB up to about 1.225-1.25 volts it will be unstable in the overclock range you are tying to achieve. I thought we went over that already.

Yeah, unless you have the CPUNB up to about 1.225-1.25 volts it will be unstable in the overclock range you are tying to achieve. I thought we went over that already.

It was mentioned almost immediately and for good reason as it would be fundamental but I do not see any acknowledgement of it or additional discussion. It would be what is holding him back.

Yep, CPU-NB set to 1.225-1.25 volts = probably the lower range 1.225 but at a minimum. I set my HT link frequency to 1900 (it has over 2000 - maybe 2100) and it ran Prime95 a little longer at 3.94 but still Core #3 had a math error and it shut down testing on the core. I am not sure I have my memory frequency set correctly. In the frequency selection drop down what should I chose? I understood the max 1500 but the drop down has some weird numbers. Maybe you can just type in what you want. I'll check. Could you give me a number? I don't understand the frequencies shown in SPD.

I also wondered if running 4x2 memory sticks might be an issue. Back in the 939 days 2 Gigs was considered the sweet spot. I'm running 8. Also wondered if I could bump memory voltage more than .5?

Last edited:
Yep, CPU-NB set to 1.225-1.25 volts = probably the lower range 1.225 but at a minimum. I set my HT link frequency to 1900 (it has over 2000 - maybe 2100) and it ran Prime95 a little longer at 3.94 but still Core #3 had a math error and it shut down testing on the core. I am not sure I have my memory frequency set correctly. In the frequency selection drop down what should I chose? I understood the max 1500 but the drop down has some weird numbers. Maybe you can just type in what you want. I'll check. Could you give me a number? I don't understand the frequencies shown in SPD.

I also wondered if running 4x2 memory sticks might be an issue. Back in the 939 days 2 Gigs was considered the sweet spot. I'm running 8. Also wondered if I could bump memory voltage more than .5?

I think you are actually holding the system back too much with HT at 1900, I would remove any entry you have there and see what it defaults to. If it is around 2200, I think the system will be a lot happier.

I'm assuming your NB is still at 2532? Was that at default or did you enter a factor for that as well? I believe that is a bit much.

HT and NB are going to be better off the closer they are, there is nothing wrong with the NB being at 2532 or higher than HT, but I believe the gap right now and the slow'er 1900 HT frequency may be hurting you. My secondary concern would then be the NB frequency of 2532, at a 211 FSB that would probably be at least one factor higher than I would intend to run.

It could possibly be the ram, but I doubt it. Right now your timings look good and your not capped on speed according to the XMP 1600 speed, but the Phenom structure is not likely to hit that full capacity either. So again, it could possibly be ram, but lets see if we can't get you to 214~216 FSB stable first. Both your ram and CPU have it in them, especially with the temps your showing. It may just take some time finding the right HT and NB frequency.

Yep, CPU-NB set to 1.225-1.25 volts = probably the lower range 1.225 but at a minimum. I set my HT link frequency to 1900 (it has over 2000 - maybe 2100) and it ran Prime95 a little longer at 3.94 but still Core #3 had a math error and it shut down testing on the core. I am not sure I have my memory frequency set correctly. In the frequency selection drop down what should I chose? I understood the max 1500 but the drop down has some weird numbers. Maybe you can just type in what you want. I'll check. Could you give me a number? I don't understand the frequencies shown in SPD. What don't you understand about the frequencies in SPD? They will not look like the standard 533, 666, 800 frequencies ram is typically sold at because you have chosen to overclock in part with the fsb. If you left the fsb at the stock 200 mzh those frequencies would be standard. Remember, changing the fsb also changes the other frequecies in the system, including the ram frequency because the fsb is the master bus that all others are tuned to. Is this what you are referring to? Also remember that CPU-z reports ram frequencies at half of what the DDRx transfer rating is because CPU-z is reporting the DDR bus frequency, not the transfer rate. The SPD tab JEDEC columns are reporting the manufacturer's recommended timings are for the ram when run at various frequencies it is capable of. Does that help? Do you know what ram timing is about? Those are the numbers below the frequencies in the JEDEC columns.

I also wondered if running 4x2 memory sticks might be an issue. Back in the 939 days 2 Gigs was considered the sweet spot. I'm running 8. Also wondered if I could bump memory voltage more than .5?Yes, it could be. More sticks, more total amount and higher frequencies put extra strain on the ICM. Try taking two sticks out temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

Back